Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Dec 5, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,941 of 14,386
I went and listened to the DT990 for second with some edm tracks with good bass and they do have some slam to them but the 400i is just so much cleaner and detailed in the bass. The 990's sub-bass has more of a rumble compared to the 400i but again they just sound so much cleaner. I flipped on the bass boost from my amp and the 400i was hitting as hard as the 990 and it sounds good but for me it takes a little away from the mids and high. It doesn't change them in anyway its just a sound signature I can do without, I have my Sony Z7 when I need my bass fix.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,942 of 14,386

The DT990 has more bass impact compared to the 400i but imo that's the only thing you can say they do a little better. I think the texture of the 400i's bass is much better and has better speed and resolution. The detail in the bass is very good and I think except for bass impact the 400i is better than the original 400's bass.

I haven't heard the HE-400i yet (Hopefully shipping soon!), but went from the 990 to the 400 last year, and I still prefer the soundstage on the 990 for games.  Everything else (except comfort) the 400 are superior, IMO.  But soundstage felt tight for an open can with the 400, don't expect much to change with the 400i.

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #5,943 of 14,386
The soundstage isn't huge but its better than I was expecting and sound a little wider after my brain has adjusted to the signature. They also sound great with melodic electronic music like progressive house (real prog house) and progressive breaks. Adele sound amazing from the 400i as well.

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #5,945 of 14,386
Does anyone know where I could get a more plain non-cloth cable for the HE400i? I don't like the brushing sound that the stock cable can make.

I bought a decent cable for the twist style connectors from Ebay. The sellers name is Venus Audio. It is a nice looking cable.

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5,947 of 14,386
  anybody compare HD 700 and 400i, sound only, texture, power needed, SOUND STAGE, and bass and other things which is better at what?

I found the Sennheiser HD-700 to be much better headphones than the HD-650. I just got a 400i this week and I think it easily beats the HD-650 but not the HD-700. It also should be compared to the HD-700 because they cost about the same.

In my opinion the HD-700 has better defined bass, brighter treble, better soundstage, an all around livelier, more dynamic sound. It's also lighter and better ventillated. If I want to sit down and focus on the details of the music I'm listening to, the HD-700 works better for me...

The HE 400i has more distant, darker, more relaxed sound with a less precise but pleasing warm bass, more controlled treble. When I want to listen to music for an extended time while browsing the web or reading, the 400i works better for me...

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #5,949 of 14,386
How different doea the Venus audio cable sound?

I can't hear a difference between it and stock*. It just looks better! The stock cable is stiff, cloth covered and has a goofy 45° angled plug.

*I really never tried comparing the two because the twist connectors are a PITA to install and remove!

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5,950 of 14,386
I went and listened to the DT990 for second with some edm tracks with good bass and they do have some slam to them but the 400i is just so much cleaner and detailed in the bass. The 990's sub-bass has more of a rumble compared to the 400i but again they just sound so much cleaner. I flipped on the bass boost from my amp and the 400i was hitting as hard as the 990 and it sounds good but for me it takes a little away from the mids and high. It doesn't change them in anyway its just a sound signature I can do without, I have my Sony Z7 when I need my bass fix.

So the Z7 bass sounds better than both 990 and 400i? ARE you talking about the Full - Size headphone z7? The $699 one?

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #5,951 of 14,386

I found the Sennheiser HD-700 to be much better headphones than the HD-650. I just got a 400i this week and I think it easily beats the HD-650 but not the HD-700. It also should be compared to the HD-700 because they cost about the same.

In my opinion the HD-700 has better defined bass, brighter treble, better soundstage, an all around livelier, more dynamic sound. It's also lighter and better ventillated. If I want to sit down and focus on the details of the music I'm listening to, the HD-700 works better for me...

The HE 400i has more distant, darker, more relaxed sound with a less precise but pleasing warm bass, more controlled treble. When I want to listen to music for an extended time while browsing the web or reading, the 400i works better for me...

Agreed with you. HD700 was a little bright plus i can hear some treble spike so in the end i decided not to buy it. If you can't hear any treble spike and feel it's not too bright then overall i think the HD700 is a better headphone, sucked me in from the first listening.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #5,952 of 14,386
  Agreed with you. HD700 was a little bright plus i can hear some treble spike so in the end i decided not to buy it. If you can't hear any treble spike and feel it's not too bright then overall i think the HD700 is a better headphone, sucked me in from the first listening.

I thought the HD700 is a really bad headphone for the price.  but i still see a lot of ppl buy them and discuss on the forums.

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5,955 of 14,386
  So the only replacement cables I can get are at least $60?

I just needed a plain cable that just works. Otherwise I might have to try to remove the threading manually.

Just get a cheap Chinese hd700 cable off ebay. That's what I plan to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back