Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Apr 12, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,887 of 14,386
  Could someone comment on the sound leakage of these headphones for me please?
I get that they are open so they will leak sound and offer no isolation but I would really love to get a planar headphone and these tick all the boxes for me except that I do most of my listening when my wife is asleep in the next room.
Is leakage likely to travel through a wall or closed door to wake my wife from her slumber?

I was close to pulling the trigger on the Alpha Dogs which obviously will not have any problems with sound leakage but I am slightly concerned with reports of different performance between each Alpha Dog, but more than that I will always be wishing I had saved for the Primes.

The hifiman is also considerably cheaper for someone in the UK and I do not like the Audeze offerings.

Cheers.

Robert, I would describe the output as too loud to be sitting next to someone on an airplane but they will not be audible in another room. The output drops off rapidly as you move away from the phones. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3,888 of 14,386
Thank you @hifiman-us. I am getting really excited about these headphones.
I now need to decide between the HE-400i and the HE-560.
I will use the search facility as I am sure the topic has been discussed lots already.
Reviews certainly are leading me towards the 400i as I listen to lots of punk and rock music.
The 560's may be a little too refined for my brash tastes but I am always drawn to the more expensive things in life, like a moth to a flame.

Has anyone heard any hifiman headphones with the Fostex HP-A8 amplifier?
I am in no rush to upgrade my amp.

Cheers.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #3,889 of 14,386
I haven't heard the HE-560.  With that being said, I find the HE-400is a great compliment to my other cans.  They are fun and musical sounding.  Hopefully someone who either has both or has heard both can give you an opinion.  No regrets at all on my purchase.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3,890 of 14,386
  Thank you @hifiman-us. I am getting really excited about these headphones.
I now need to decide between the HE-400i and the HE-560.
I will use the search facility as I am sure the topic has been discussed lots already.
Reviews certainly are leading me towards the 400i as I listen to lots of punk and rock music.
The 560's may be a little too refined for my brash tastes but I am always drawn to the more expensive things in life, like a moth to a flame.

Has anyone heard any hifiman headphones with the Fostex HP-A8 amplifier?
I am in no rush to upgrade my amp.

Cheers.

I compared the HiFiMAN  HE-500, HE-560, and HE-400i briefly in an audio store last week.  Here is what I thought:

1. HE-500:  Strongest of the three in subbass, just as I was looking for;  however, side-by-side with the HE-560, it did not have nearly as large a sound stage, and the treble was less airy
  2. HE-560:  Slightly weaker in the subbass than the HE-500, but overall better listening experience due to better soundstage and somewhat airy-er trebles.  Also costs nearly twice as much ($899 vs. $499).
  3. HE-400i:  Shares the larger soundstage and slightly airy-er trebles with the HE-560 over that of the HE-500, but MUCH weaker in the subbass, so much so that it sounded similar to the Grados that I have (known for modest bass but sparkling treble clarity).

The HE-560s were quite similar to my memory of my HD 800s (didn't have them with me in the store, of course!).  Both the HE-560s and the HE-400is were more comfortable than the HE-500 (lighter, softer earpads, better headband), and both had "normal" cables, covered with black knit cloth, rather than the twisted pair of silver wires of the HE-500.

A quick listen to my HD 800 as I reread this confirms that its subbass does have some degree of palpable strength, perhaps in line with the HE-560, though not as much as the HE-500.  However, it also has the superlative soundstage and upper clarity for which it is known.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #3,891 of 14,386

I compared the HiFiMAN  HE-500, HE-560, and HE-400i briefly in an audio store last week.  Here is what I thought:

1. HE-500:  Strongest of the three in subbass, just as I was looking for;  however, side-by-side with the HE-560, it did not have nearly as large a sound stage, and the treble was less airy
  2. HE-560:  Slightly weaker in the subbass than the HE-500, but overall better listening experience due to better soundstage and somewhat airy-er trebles.  Also costs nearly twice as much ($899 vs. $499).
  3. HE-400i:  Shares the larger soundstage and slightly airy-er trebles with the HE-560 over that of the HE-500, but MUCH weaker in the subbass, so much so that it sounded similar to the Grados that I have (known for modest bass but sparkling treble clarity).

The HE-560s were quite similar to my memory of my HD 800s (didn't have them with me in the store, of course!).  Both the HE-560s and the HE-400is were more comfortable than the HE-500 (lighter, softer earpads, better headband), and both had "normal" cables, covered with black knit cloth, rather than the twisted pair of silver wires of the HE-500.

A quick listen to my HD 800 as I reread this confirms that its subbass does have some degree of palpable strength, perhaps in line with the HE-560, though not as much as the HE-500.  However, it also has the superlative soundstage and upper clarity for which it is known.

Is there a drastic difference in sound sig between the 400i and HD800? I'm thinking of consolidating my 400i + MRS7 for an HD800...surprisingly these $15 Baldoor E100 clones i think is good enough to take over my portable/office setup in the MRS7s

What im expecting/hoping from the HD800 is an expansive soundstage, slightly improved comfort and detail extraction that makes the 400i sound veiled/closed in

Itll be driven by my audio-gd nfb15, dont think ill be changing am/dacs anytime soon. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #3,892 of 14,386

Is there a drastic difference in sound sig between the 400i and HD800? I'm thinking of consolidating my 400i + MRS7 for an HD800...surprisingly these $15 Baldoor E100 clones i think is good enough to take over my portable/office setup in the MRS7s

What im expecting/hoping from the HD800 is an expansive soundstage, slightly improved comfort and detail extraction that makes the 400i sound veiled/closed in

Itll be driven by my audio-gd nfb15, dont think ill be changing am/dacs anytime soon. 

I think that the sound signature of the HE-560 is quite close to that of the HD 800, but the sound signature of the HE-400i is not close to that of the HD 800.  Like the HD 800 and the HE-560, the HE-400i has treble detail and clarity.  However, it is much weaker in bass and has a less expansive sound stage.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #3,893 of 14,386

I think that the sound signature of the HE-560 is quite close to that of the HD 800, but the sound signature of the HE-400i is not close to that of the HD 800.  Like the HD 800 and the HE-560, the HE-400i has treble detail and clarity.  However, it is much weaker in bass and has a less expansive sound stage.

+1 - this is very accurate. I had HD800s, and replaced them with the 560s - they sounded to my ear like an HD800 run through a good tube amp. Open, relatively neutral, huge soundstage, but warmer and more forgiving, without giving up too much in the way of resolution.

I somewhat miss the 800s, but it was a love/hate relationship at the time, and I spend ages trying to find the right DAC/Amp combo to make them sound less 'harsh.' I settled on the 560 + Lyr 2 and have been happy ever since, and never felt the urge to upgrade.

Back on topic though... I own and still run the 400i with a Modi 2 Uber and Little Dot 1+ (with upgraded tubes and opamp), and that is a superb combo. I have heard a lot of other combinations that haven't sounded as good as this combo. The 400is soundstage isn't massive, but it has great range and tone, and this combo really maximizes what it's capable of, without sounding harsh or costing a lot of money.

Gustard X12 + Lyr 2 with the 560 is also exceptional.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #3,894 of 14,386

Back on topic though... I own and still run the 400i with a Modi 2 Uber and Little Dot 1+ (with upgraded tubes and opamp), and that is a superb combo. I have heard a lot of other combinations that haven't sounded as good as this combo. The 400is soundstage isn't massive, but it has great range and tone, and this combo really maximizes what it's capable of, without sounding harsh or costing a lot of money.

From what ive read, the 560 and 400i are more similar than not. To many, it seems that the HD800 and 560 might be a toss up depending on preferences...now im not sure if its worth going further than the 400i ha, i think diminishing returns kicks it hard after this set. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #3,895 of 14,386

From what ive read, the 560 and 400i are more similar than not. To many, it seems that the HD800 and 560 might be a toss up depending on preferences...now im not sure if its worth going further than the 400i ha, i think diminishing returns kicks it hard after this set. 

I can say quite definitively that the 400i and 560 are very different beasts - but they do share a similar sonic 'signature.' That said, unless you have high quality upstream gear, you may not be able to resolve all the differences. The 560 has more bass, which is immediately apparent, as well as a much bigger soundstage. It just sounds 'fuller' on my Lyr 2, though on the LD1+ they both sound similar.

Again, I think we as Head-Fiers often forget the importance of matching gear for the best sound - you're not going to get the most out of a high end set of cans without a decent source, and that includes the source material, decoder, amplification and to an extent the cabling.

I often get caught recommending something to someone without asking about or considering the rest of their audio ecosystem. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #3,896 of 14,386
  I can say quite definitively that the 400i and 560 are very different beasts - but they do share a similar sonic 'signature.' That said, unless you have high quality upstream gear, you may not be able to resolve all the differences. The 560 has more bass, which is immediately apparent, as well as a much bigger soundstage. It just sounds 'fuller' on my Lyr 2, though on the LD1+ they both sound similar.

Again, I think we as Head-Fiers often forget the importance of matching gear for the best sound - you're not going to get the most out of a high end set of cans without a decent source, and that includes the source material, decoder, amplification and to an extent the cabling.

I often get caught recommending something to someone without asking about or considering the rest of their audio ecosystem. 

I was under the impression that than 400i bass hit harder, but didnt extend as far as the 560.  Extreme roll off under 50hz, but +2-3db 50hz and above 

For me source is FLAC -> ASIO (AudioGD ) ..pretty sure itll drive the 560 just fine 1.8W@50Ohm, not sure how itll handle the HD800..i think itll be mostly fine ..maybe some trouble with the wonky impedence swings it has

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,897 of 14,386

I was under the impression that than 400i bass hit harder, but didnt extend as far as the 560.  Extreme roll off under 50hz, but +2-3db 50hz and above 

For me source is FLAC -> ASIO (AudioGD ) ..pretty sure itll drive the 560 just fine 1.8W@50Ohm, not sure how itll handle the HD800..i think itll be mostly fine ..maybe some trouble with the wonky impedence swings it has

You are exactly right - by more bass I meant more sub-bass, apologies. 400i hits a bit harder in the mid-bass region, though I've found with new tubes on my Lyr2 I can actually get better bass out of the 560, likely due to the Lyr's range and power.

The 15.32 puts out 300mw at the HD800s 300 ohms, so unless you plan to make your ears bleed, you should be fine!

I used to have a 15.32 - it was a nice unit. If you get a chance, try your 400is on one of Kingwa's Sabre-based units like the new NFB-1 - I found the combination to work really and bring out the midrange detail, particularly in the 400i.

The best I've heard the HD800 is with the Lyr 2 and Amperex Orange Globes. Everything that makes the HD800 great was still there in spades, there was even a slight push to the midrange (which I've always found a tad light on the 800), and the sound was warm, without being soft, and just so much more organic. Pure bliss!

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #3,898 of 14,386
I'm considering getting this headphone for my IPod Classic+Cayin C5 but am concerned about power and subbass response. I listen to a lot of downtempo electronic music and I gotta have that sub extension. I auditioned both the HE-560 and 400i befiely and enjoyed their comfort but I didn't have enough time to get really good sound impressions. The 560 is out of my budget range unfortunately although I've read it has better low end extension than the 400i. Will the 400i's bass be up to the task for me needs or least with the bass boost on my amp? Will the Cayin supply enough power for the headphones and any comments on this combination? Thank you.

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,899 of 14,386
I'm considering getting this headphone for my IPod Classic+Cayin C5 but am concerned about power and subbass response. I listen to a lot of downtempo electronic music and I gotta have that sub extension. I auditioned both the HE-560 and 400i befiely and enjoyed their comfort but I didn't have enough time to get really good sound impressions. The 560 is out of my budget range unfortunately although I've read it has better low end extension than the 400i. Will the 400i's bass be up to the task for me needs or least with the bass boost on my amp? Will the Cayin supply enough power for the headphones and any comments on this combination? Thank you.

I have the C5 as well. Plenty of power for the 400i and the pairing is good too.

Havent heard the 560 but I dont find the 400i lacking in subbass at all. Maybe the 560 has even more subbass but its certainly not a weak point of the 400i either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back