Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 16, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2,057 of 14,386
  Majority is just an advertising keyword. Mog said "all songs were" 320kbps but when I actually checked, totally not true. At least Spotify is honest about it.

The dirty truth is that all subscription-based models are using the same tracks as each other. They have to cut deals with the record labels & the record labels gives everyone the same $hit. If a streaming service buys the license for the song is owned by a certain record label, it's not like different buyers get different $hit. they all have the same $hit. lol! It's not like you can get the song anywhere else legally.

edit: i'm not saying beats subscription music streaming is bad or spotify is better or anything like that. beats has cool features & whatever. but your argument about quality is simply not true. it's just marketing lol.

Are you saying that these companies would lie to us? I believe everything I read on the web, even when the lies are contridictory. My mind sort of "works" that way.

Anyway, in looking at several artcles on "studies" of bitrates  by the service providers, it is clear that who provides what rate and who is the "best" demands on your location. Where Beats alledgedly had the highest consistent bitrate in Manhattan, in other metroploitan areas Spotify excelled. 

Like with most other things in life, you just have to try it out and see what works "best" for you. Of course, don't try that with Russian Roulette!

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2,058 of 14,386
I'm using Music Unlimited on my computers and PS3 at 320 AAC for $4.99 a month. Wonder when Canada will get some lossless streaming?

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #2,061 of 14,386
So, the 400i's arrived today. They sounded great with Spotify Premium on my Moto X with no external amp/dac but I'm wating to post my full impressions until my Schiit Modi/Magni arrive.

In the meantime, I have a question. Are the HE-400i's balanced? Or is the cable that comes with them balanced?

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #2,063 of 14,386
I have received my pair of 400i's today and my first impression is that they have almost the same sound quality as the 560's.  ***I'm driving them with the Vali and the Asgard***

Unfortunately I don't have the 560's anymore so I cannot do any direct comparison but to my ears the 400i's are really close.

And thank god I have decided to try them because by reading this thread I was under the impression that the 400i's had a small soundstage, that they were bass deficient, that they were lacking air, etc.  IT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL !

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #2,064 of 14,386
When you compare them side by side, it is immediately apparent 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,065 of 14,386
These things better sound good. Im listening to my 400s now and they are sweet through a x5 e12 diy set up. My 400i will be in tomorrow. If they dont blow my he400 away.. they are going back . Lol

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,068 of 14,386

And thank god I have decided to try them because by reading this thread I was under the impression that the 400i's had a small soundstage, that they were bass deficient, that they were lacking air, etc.  IT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL !

Totally!

Yes, it is smaller than some, like the HE-560.  But it's not THAT much smaller, and nowhere near the Grado cans that I've owned.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #2,069 of 14,386
I did the A/B in meet condition, with a song I had never heard before (Beck - Paper Tiger) and an amp that I never heard before and is not really highlighting treble (DNA Stratus).

It was just obvious, even in these conditions.

The 400i was not bad by any means. Just clearly less open and smaller soundstage (usually go together).

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2,070 of 14,386
These things better sound good. Im listening to my 400s now and they are sweet through a x5 e12 diy set up. My 400i will be in tomorrow. If they dont blow my he400 away.. they are going back . Lol

MattTCG comparison has these above the 400 addition in almost all aspects! I can tell you that I have personally NOT heard anything better than the X5/E12 with the 400i, its like they were made for each other. I have let about 10 people listen to this combo and they are completely blown away. You'll enjoy them big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back