Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Aug 30, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #13,876 of 14,386
I figured as much, but wanted to be sure :ksc75smile:

For me the Ember is one amp that would recommend since it a good way to get started rolling tubes since you only need one and its also one of the most flexible around since you can change the output impedance on the fly and quickly see the effect that a different output impedance has on a headphone. Its not cheap but I consider it a bargain at $350, most like that it has a small footprint on a desk, the open nature is debatable due to dust but I think its a good trade off for cooling.

If it's not too off-topic... I have been looking for a tube amp that can pair with planars. Does the Project Ember do well in that regard? Does it sound tubey? Is there another Project you would recommend as a step up (been considering a WA2)?

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #13,877 of 14,386
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #13,878 of 14,386
My impression: Brilliant--expansive and natural. At first anyway. Then I realized the mids were kinda distant, it's a bit veiled, and the bass lacks impact due to rolloff. I EQ'd it basically flat (I can give parameters if anyone is interested) and the impression was mostly back. They're excellent for the money.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #13,879 of 14,386
If it's not too off-topic... I have been looking for a tube amp that can pair with planars. Does the Project Ember do well in that regard? Does it sound tubey? Is there another Project you would recommend as a step up (been considering a WA2)?

Little Dot I+ is also excellent for planars. Get the LT1364 or AD823 op-amp, and the GE JAN5654w or Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV 1976 tubes. The sound improvement is big.

Aug 30, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #13,881 of 14,386
Aug 30, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #13,882 of 14,386
I am using a Little Dot MKIII with my 400i's (for tube duties) and while it certainly is a bit colored due to the tube amp characteristics it's also a very fun listen. I enjoy this setup.
I usually run the 400i from my Keces amp though... it's very solid state sounding, a bit analytical but that suits my tastes. The more I own the 400i the more I'm impressed with it reaching over my DT880's and K612's for it most times.
I just returned a beautiful pair of X2's mostly because the 400i was cheaper and sounded better 90% of the time. If they don't fall apart as soon as the warranty expires I'll be even happier! Ha ha...

Aug 30, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #13,883 of 14,386
Where do I get an adapter for the Vali 2

Plenty of sellers on ebay (that's where I got mine). Just search 12au7 to 6dj8 adapter. You can probably find some actual links on either the Vali2 or Lyr2 threads

The nice thing with the G1217 amps is you don't need to bother with the adapter, they'll handle both types out of the box

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #13,884 of 14,386

Fwiw I find the Ember to be great with most headphones (planars included) as it's very versatile.

The LD I+ is also very nice but imo the Ember is definitely worth the extra money if one's willing to spend it.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #13,885 of 14,386
The Polaris is SS but is quite similar to the Ember in basic sound signature.
The Ember does do quite well with most planar headphones that I've tried them with (HE400, HE400i, HE560, Ether, Ether C, LCD-2.2, LCD-2f, LCD-X and LCD-3f) but it not a consistently good match since my HE560 sounds a bit better on my Lyr2 or from the headphone jack of my UD301 so I know its not just a "watts" thing and then it will depend on the tube/tubes that you are using. The WA2 is a pretty good amp from the few times I've played with one but I never tried planar headphones with them so I'm not sure if it would be a good match or not but for higher impedance headphones like the HD800, T1gen1 and HD700 its a really good amp with the right tubes.

Little Dot I+ is also excellent for planars. Get the LT1364 or AD823 op-amp, and the GE JAN5654w or Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV 1976 tubes. The sound improvement is big.
Fwiw I find the Ember to be great with most headphones (planars included) as it's very versatile.
The LD I+ is also very nice but imo the Ember is definitely worth the extra money if one's willing to spend it.

Agree that the LD 1+ is an impressive amp for the price but it needs a few upgrades (op-amps and tubes) to become solid amp IMO since in stock form it was not much better than an old Vali1 when I compared them long ago.

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #13,886 of 14,386
I listened/compared the 400i,( 2.5 connectors) to my HD800, and HEK, and as a consequence, sold the HD800, and the HEK. Two basic thing convinced me, better Bass, deeper, cleaner, and the sound field, which is the deepest I have come across, but very good width, average height. Seems to suit me perfectly. I joined kickstarter to back other headphones, so we shall see, what happens. I am now looking for another pair of 400i, to keep as a spare.I imagine i am the only one ( Worldwide!.) to have done this, but my old ears have found what I have been looking for.

Aug 30, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #13,887 of 14,386
Is there perhaps a more budget friendly option?
I use a Bravo V2. I have tried a couple of extra tubes, did not like the Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 EH (over the standard one), but found the Genalex Gold Lion 12 AU7 to be a marked improvement over the standard tube. The Bravo V2 is about $66 on amazon, The Genalex tube is about $42, but you may prefer the original tube anyway. When I want clear "uncolored" sound (almost all the time), I use my O2; when I want "old analog rich sound" (to quote from a recent amazon review), I use the V2. I imagine that, to audiophiles who have better tube amps, the V2 gives a caricature of "tube sound," but it is a pleasant one!

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #13,888 of 14,386
I use a Bravo V2. I have tried a couple of extra tubes, did not like the Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 EH (over the standard one), but found the Genalex Gold Lion 12 AU7 to be a marked improvement over the standard tube. The Bravo V2 is about $66 on amazon, The Genalex tube is about $42, but you may prefer the original tube anyway. When I want clear "uncolored" sound (almost all the time), I use my O2; when I want "old analog rich sound" (to quote from a recent amazon review), I use the V2. I imagine that, to audiophiles who have better tube amps, the V2 gives a caricature of "tube sound," but it is a pleasant one!
This little tube amp is very tempting to try out as it is so cheap. Any issues with the construction? Does it feel cheap?

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #13,889 of 14,386
Agree that the LD 1+ is an impressive amp for the price but it needs a few upgrades (op-amps and tubes) to become solid amp IMO since in stock form it was not much better than an old Vali1 when I compared them long ago.

+1

It's also worth considering the Vbe bypass mod and capacitor replacement. Given that it's a simple circuit, you can turn it into a quality hybrid tube amp for relatively cheap.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #13,890 of 14,386
This little tube amp is very tempting to try out as it is so cheap. Any issues with the construction? Does it feel cheap?
The construction is very, very sturdy. Looks like extruded aluminum, but feels on the heavy side; it might be steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back