Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 5, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #12,781 of 14,386
Interesting, the Nighthawk is probably the darkest and least engaging headphones I've heard. Extremely comfortable though.

I'm still fascinated by how different we all hear things in this hobby.
I had the NightHawk for a few months and while it might seem dark at first there is some treble energy in the upper treble area that did bother me at times. It doesn't sound anything like the HE400i but closer to the HD650 but this is based on memory so YMMV.
just got my ZMF Ori pads in, listening now, kinda crazy i can immediatly hear a boost in bass, wooooo!!!

PSA: DAMN the 400i's little ring+hook installation thing is a pain in the ass with new pads, took me 30-40mins to get one pad fully hooked without falling off with the slightest touch.. i need a smoke and i dont even smoke! follow-up with pics soon!
Use a credit card or similar stiff thin plastic to attach the clips. You should be able to get 2 of the clips attached then use the credit card to gently push the tabs in while applying slight pressure on the ear pads, then slowly remove the credit card and the tab should catch on to the mounting ring of the ear cups. To remove the pads just do the opposite and use the credit card to un-hook 2 of the tabs. I think I might have posted this picture way back:
HE400i-pads-mount.jpg
Using the credit card I can mount and unmounts the ear pads in a few seconds

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #12,782 of 14,386
Ok, my HE400i's (I know the apostrophe is wrong, but it looks odd without) came in today.
I am one who does generally believe in burn-in but I'm too impatient so I'm straight onto them.
Some people had complained about the clamping force. Nope, they're fine for me and I don't have a freakishly small head.
Source is Fiio X5III
First try, running through iFi iCan. Hmmm...not bad, not by any means. The detail I expected is there, definitely. But I'm not enthralled. Ran through a few tracks, tried 3D and no 3D, tried varying bass boost. They can DEFINITELY reproduce bass when it's fed to them, no question at all. But on the iCan, it was either too much or not enough. Maybe I need to get used to them....maybe they really need that burn in....soundstage was super underwhelming. I had read that they were relatively intimate, but I hoped they would at least be a bit more expansive than my 'hawks.

So here I am, bought these on a whim because of the price drop. Not hating them, not loving them either.
Out of interest, what do they sound like with a Cayin C5 amp doing the heavy lifting....?

In order to not just swear A LOT, let's hope that this suffices - they have barely left my head since. Using the C5 with high gain (and bass boost off for the most part) these are glorious. HUGE difference with a different amp stage. The soundstage is still not what I'm after, but that's ok. I wanted a more accurate, more precise set to contrast with the Nighthawks and to give me a taste of the high end quality I enjoy with my LZ A4s (black front) and my lord, these deliver.

I am delighted. At the price these are going for (I'm in China and I paid the equivalent of about $200 (120 UK pounds) these are an absolute no brainer. There's no trace of harshness or sibilance (to my 47 year old ears) but such a lovely level of detail. They are not what I would describe as warm, but neither are they cool. They strike a really great balance and just present the sound. I have never heard 'Somethin' Else' reproduced so beautifully. Effortless. I've fed them with jazz, classical, hip-hop, trance, acoustic, soul, K-Pop. They obviously excel at Jazz and Classical but they do a cracking job with everything. Super happy, I love these cans.

Briefly tried them on the Little Dot MkIII. I'd read that they wouldn't pair well. Ok, so we lose some high end crispness, but actually it's not bad. As a MKIII owner already, I'll definitely spend some time trying them out with different tubes and gain settings, they play together a bit better than the 'hawks do. If someone already had the 400i's and wanted a tube amp, I wouldn't suggest the LD, but I've got it already and it's not the worst.

That cheeky little Cayin though, really delivers nicely. It's a warm amp which helps to keep the edge off the 400i's without losing detail.

Quickly went back to the 'hawks and I'll definitely need to readjust to their signature (which I'll happily do, plus they sound great with the iCan) but there is a gulf between these two. The Nighthawks are a thick warm blanket on a winter's evening. The 400i's are crisp light sheets in the summer. They complement each other really well, but they are very different.

Chuffed with the 400i's. I'm going to have to listen to absolutely everything all over again!

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #12,783 of 14,386
I got my HE400is about three weeks ago. I went through the stated 150 hour burn in, and I have been absolutely enamored with the performance and these headphones The amount of detail is amazing each time I listen to these and my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250s I am amazed even more. I love the DT770 compared to other closed cans and they really have a very good sound signature (u shaped) for my tastes. Then I put on my HE400i and wow, generic bass becomes separated instruments, kick bass, toms, snare cymbals. Guitar licks become hearing string vibrations fade, fingers sliding up and down the fret. I can't get over the detail available with these headphones. The only thing I have to admit is that I have a harder time just listening casually with the HE400I because I am paying so much attention to the genuinely realistic sounds.:)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #12,784 of 14,386
I'm out...

My HE-400i was ok but since I had a really hard time listening to it, the shop owner offered me the Nighthawk Carbon as a trade (+100€). I gladly accepted this genres offer. The return window of the Hifiman had passed so I consider myself lucky.

All I want now is the NightOwl and another 'main' HF to complement my birds :.)
That wont be easy because I want something like the 400i but with less sparkle. Not because I want to but because I have no choice.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #12,785 of 14,386
You are definitely not the only one who wanted to step to the next level in sound quality. I ended up getting the AKG K712 Pro after my HE400i as well. The K712 Pro, after EQ, which I do to every headphone, is my favorite headphone I own. I do not see any need to buy anything else. I will say though that the HE400i and K712 Pro are both a higher tier than my DT880 Premium 250 Ohm, no question. I would suggest you look at the AKG as well. I think it has the sound you are looking for.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #12,789 of 14,386
I'm out...

My HE-400i was ok but since I had a really hard time listening to it, the shop owner offered me the Nighthawk Carbon as a trade (+100€). I gladly accepted this genres offer. The return window of the Hifiman had passed so I consider myself lucky.

All I want now is the NightOwl and another 'main' HF to complement my birds :.)
That wont be easy because I want something like the 400i but with less sparkle. Not because I want to but because I have no choice.
You could try the 560s. I own both and feel they are similar, but the 560s offer a fuller, lusher sound. Best part is they to have been at a lower price lately.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #12,790 of 14,386
WOW, there must be a huge unit to unit variation in the 560. I have two sets and I would consider neither of them to be lush. If anything they (to me) have a more elevated upper midrange/lower treble. There are peaks (or a peak) in the 3.5K area that combined with a bit of a valley around 2K, can make them sound a bit thin. They do quite a bit better "technically" than the 400i, but that does not include lushness! (again with the 2 pair that I own, the half dozen more that I have listened to...and of course to my ears.)

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #12,791 of 14,386
WOW, there must be a huge unit to unit variation in the 560. I have two sets and I would consider neither of them to be lush. If anything they (to me) have a more elevated upper midrange/lower treble. There are peaks (or a peak) in the 3.5K area that combined with a bit of a valley around 2K, can make them sound a bit thin. They do quite a bit better "technically" than the 400i, but that does not include lushness! (again with the 2 pair that I own, the half dozen more that I have listened to...and of course to my ears.)
Are either of these SMC or 2.5mm? Some old reviews said that SMC 400i is like 90% of SMC 560 huh and that the price gap provided very low bang/bucks.

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #12,792 of 14,386
My 400i is the V1 (SMC with back plate), but I have listened to many new and old at meets and friends sets. I have an original 560 (SMC) and one of the newer model just purchased within the last two months.
I am going by first hand experience, not "old" reviews.

To my ears there has been a very large difference between the 400i and 560 regardless of what versions are being considered.

Whether these differences appeal to any given reviewer or not... well that is simply preference.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #12,793 of 14,386
right on, but generally speaking would I waste my dough upgrading from a SMC 400i to a SMC 560 in your opinion?

and does your 2.5mm 560 even have the plates that 2.5mm 400i are now missing? FWIR they also went AWOL on 2.5mm 560.

thanks,

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #12,794 of 14,386
To my knowledge they made no changes to the 560 other than the connectors.
Whether you would think getting the 560 worth the cost, I have no idea.
I don't know you, your audio signature preferences, your system configuration, the kind of music that you like... how much the 560 will cost you, or even how much disposable income you have to spend (without negatively impacting your life).
How could I hope to even begin to formulate a reasonable answer???

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #12,795 of 14,386
well, can you see plates in your new 560? I've read and seen pics on SBAF that they also went AWOL in the new one.

long story short when you A/B both 400i & 560 on your rig, does 400i sound like 90% of 560 like that old review says or does 400i become unlistenable?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back