Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 9, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #12,181 of 14,386
That makes no sense to me unless you're a DAC/amp reviewer or something. The main reason I've seen people talking about getting multiple DACs or amps is precisely that they want a different FR, meaning they're going for the most expensive imaginable way of equalizing the sound when they should just have one DAC, one amp, plus EQ. (And then of course there are such things as EQ presets, for when there are different users and use cases.)

I don't review gear and I'm not looking for a precise FR, I like variety, its why I've kept most the headphones that I've bought over the years. For my situation I sometimes need to have a way for 3-5 persons to listen at once; my GF, ex-GF and a few of her friends are over quite often and since its usually after 2am when they do come over using speakers is not practical so for 3-5 people listening at the same time having my current setup its very useful. I don't understand why one would want to limit themselves to just one DAC or amp, its like saying you can only eat chicken but you can change how you prepare it. FWIW I also have a second setup in my bedroom (DAC/amp/3-4 headphones) and another setup on my lanai (2 computers, a DAC and an amp) where I could use EQ but don't want to be bothered since I like how they sound without having to use EQ.

And not to get off subject from the HE400i, I find that it will take EQ quite well but if going the EQ route then I would start with something like the HD800 or similar since items like sound stage and instrument separation can't be adjusted with EQ.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #12,182 of 14,386
the HE400i, I find that I will take EQ quite well but if going the EQ route then I would start with something like the HD800 or similar
I can't touch the HD800 budget-wise, but with the HE-400i now at 240 USD I decided I could finally afford/justify a planar, and a pretty well regarded one at that. I'm definitely going to be equalizing the bajesus out of it as well, and I hope to not need any other headphones for a good 5-10 years, or until they come out with some neural interface for beaming music directly into my brain. :)

May 9, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #12,183 of 14,386
I can't touch the HD800 budget-wise, but with the HE-400i now at 240 USD I decided I could finally afford/justify a planar, and a pretty well regarded one at that. I'm definitely going to be equalizing the bajesus out of it as well, and I hope to not need any other headphones for a good 5-10 years, or until they come out with some neural interface for beaming music directly into my brain. :)

Good luck with your journey and hope the HE400i can be the end game for you.

May 10, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #12,185 of 14,386
What's the process of removing the stock pads and installing the focus pads A that Hifiman sells? Do I need to order any additional parts? Is there a possibility of damaging anything by changing out the stock pads for the focus pads A?

May 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #12,187 of 14,386
Is it possible to pair He-400i with Audio GD NFB 11 (2015)? Will it be too bright and harsh?

Of course it is possible. Just plug them in and they play. The 11 has plenty of juice to drive them. The question is whether you will like what they play, I think.
That is harder to answer because you did not say anything about what you do like or what kind of music that you listen to.

I found the 400i from the headphone out of the NFB-11 was ok. The DAC is bright, but the headphone out is a bit warm... almost making a reasonably neutral (though still with a bit of the glare) system. The 400i did OK for me with the setup. I got rid of it because it drove me nuts with the 560. If you want laid back and warm/forgiving, the NFB-11 would not be ideal. If you like what it does...well you will be happy. No way to tell from the info that you presented. Best to give it a listen if possible.

May 10, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #12,188 of 14,386
What's the process of removing the stock pads and installing the focus pads A that Hifiman sells? Do I need to order any additional parts? Is there a possibility of damaging anything by changing out the stock pads for the focus pads A?
No need for additional parts as they both have the rings, the pad change is simply twist & turn. Takes a second to remove and install the new official pads this way.
No chance of damaging anything, just make certain that the angles of the pads align properly.

May 11, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #12,189 of 14,386

The pads are easy to install, there are 4 clips that attach the pads to the headphone, see pictures:
HE400i-pads-2.jpg

HE400i-pads.jpg

No need for additional parts as they both have the rings, the pad change is simply twist & turn. Takes a second to remove and install the new official pads this way.
No chance of damaging anything, just make certain that the angles of the pads align properly.

I think you might have the removal method mixed up with the Fostex style which is a twist to remove.

May 11, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #12,190 of 14,386
The pads are easy to install, there are 4 clips that attach the pads to the headphone, see pictures:

I think you might have the removal method mixed up with the Fostex style which is a twist to remove.
The twisting & turning helps to snap them into place to the right orientation!
Feels more intuitive, and it works for me at least, when extracting, just ripping them off feels like the plastic could take a minor beating as it's a bit flaky.
But yeah, you might need to push/bend the ring inwardly on the last clip a bit to make it snap into place when installing.

May 11, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #12,191 of 14,386
Of course it is possible. Just plug them in and they play. The 11 has plenty of juice to drive them. The question is whether you will like what they play, I think.
That is harder to answer because you did not say anything about what you do like or what kind of music that you listen to.

I found the 400i from the headphone out of the NFB-11 was ok. The DAC is bright, but the headphone out is a bit warm... almost making a reasonably neutral (though still with a bit of the glare) system. The 400i did OK for me with the setup. I got rid of it because it drove me nuts with the 560. If you want laid back and warm/forgiving, the NFB-11 would not be ideal. If you like what it does...well you will be happy. No way to tell from the info that you presented. Best to give it a listen if possible.

Thank you for your reply. My current set up is O2/ODAC combo. I love the 3d soundstage and decent bass that I can get from it. But I still think it does lack of power. I am looking for the dac/amp that has more power and better 3d soundstage. I've asked the headphone shop in my country and they recommended me that the LH Labs Geek Pulse can outperform my O2/ODAC combo. But it's way too expensive. My budget is within $400 price range. Also, they kinda say that NFB-11 could be too bright and harsh. So i am a bit cautious about this. But if you said it is not too bright for HE-400i. I think I will try my luck with NFB-11.

May 11, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #12,192 of 14,386
Thank you for your reply. My current set up is O2/ODAC combo. I love the 3d soundstage and decent bass that I can get from it. But I still think it does lack of power. I am looking for the dac/amp that has more power and better 3d soundstage. I've asked the headphone shop in my country and they recommended me that the LH Labs Geek Pulse can outperform my O2/ODAC combo. But it's way too expensive. My budget is within $400 price range. Also, they kinda say that NFB-11 could be too bright and harsh. So i am a bit cautious about this. But if you said it is not too bright for HE-400i. I think I will try my luck with NFB-11.

Can you get Teac gear where you are at? If you can take a look at UD301 DAC/amp, it was my change from O2/ODAC and its been one of the best purchases I've made and really showed my how bad the O2/ODAC paired with some of my other headphones.

May 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #12,193 of 14,386

I do suggest that you listen before committing, or make sure you have the ability to return the NFB-11. It usually takes a while for your ears/brain to become accustom to a specific system.
Also everyone hears differently and has different tastes in sound. Don't take just my opinion as gospel. Do you have the 400i now? If so, take it to the shop and listen for a while.

There is another one that I can throw out there. The Grace M9xx. It is slightly more expensive than your budget, but I find it to be a great device. It sounds good with everything I have plugged into it. The M9xx is a huge upgrade over the O2/ODAC sonically and offers a great deal of flexibility in configuration as well.

As to the 3D soundstage, in general this is more attributable to the headphones than any other piece of gear in the chain. Even at that, the difference between very good (HD800) and just OK (400i), is a matter of inches not feet. In other words, to my ears, it is nothing that will knock you out. If you want a large 3D presentation, you need speakers in a well setup room.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back