Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Apr 14, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #12,106 of 14,386
I've been thinking about picking up a dragon fly black as a dac/amp on my laptop for my he400i's.  Should this be enough to power them properly?

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #12,107 of 14,386

Hello, yes I received the cable and the quality is very good and in terms of sound quality I didn't really hear a lot of difference

I bought it mostly because of the length, it's 3m and it made me comfortable moving around my desk without worrying about disconnecting the cable

Hope that helps 
wink.gif

Yes, it does help! Not sure I need the 3m length, but knowing the cable is indeed well built (good quality) is great!

Thanks much!

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #12,108 of 14,386
  the cables for the HE400i will work with the Nighthawk, I'm in the process of building a cable for a friend and they use the same connectors, will also fit the HD700

Thanks for that...it was as I had hoped! Thanks too, frogmeat69!

I'm running my 400i with a Burson Soloist MKII, and they (as well as my Nighthawks) seem to run rather well with the power this unit puts out....and not really advancing the volume all that much either. I've not tried to run them with just my iPod as yet, but I wouldn't expect much out of it - that's more of a use for my Senn 598 anyways. I've always been a subscriber of the 'more power available the better' ideal, but know also that it's not necessarily achievable.

I seem to be alternating between my 400i and NH on my rotations home, and the last time was giving the NH some love and attention, next will be the 400i - although they don't have that much time on them. Reading about the 'bass slam' above, I'm recalling what I noticed with the NH (and will know kinda what to listen for with the 400i)....and that is, though not the correct term perhaps, a nice presence of the bass. You know it's there, it's not ripping the hairs off the top of your head, but it's 'thumping' along nicely. I suppose if one wants 'bass slam', they'd probably be better off with a pair of 12" subwoofers....but that's probably unfair as I'm still beginning my jourmey into enjoying (critically or just 'enjoying') the world of headphones, so I may well be speaking out of turn.

So I'll try and compare the 400i with what I heard with the NH, and hear the difference....knowing of course that they are using different driver technology. But I do very much enjoy both pairs, and am feeling rather lucky to have them both to use.

Cheers!

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #12,109 of 14,386
Am using xDuoo XD-05 portable dac/amp (currently on massdrop I think) and was blown away by the sound.

Rolling the opamp next should give even better results :)

I've heard that's a great player. Xduoo reminds me a lot of hifiman. Chinese, occasional QC problems, usually solid for years if they make it through the first few weeks, and excellent performance for the price.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #12,110 of 14,386
That it is - am using it a a portable and a bedside dac/amp from the phone/surface

I mentioned it above because I was really surprised how well it paired with the HE400i's (prefer it to most of my other amps)

The options/functions and performance have left me very happy with the price and quality.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #12,111 of 14,386
hideeho
Sorry to bring this back up but,
well, not really...
evil_smiley.gif
deadhorse.gif

A few days ago there was a discussion of the bass capability of the 400i's. Opinions ranged from them being "thin" to "great" with most seeming in the middle. As a result of that conversation I ordered some brainwavz angled velour pads to try in place of the brainwavz angled hybrids I had been using (I had to rip the focus pads off to get at the rings so I couldn't try those again). after playing several songs I wasn't convinced the pads made that much of a difference. Then AC/DC's hell's bells came on. I had noted previously (with the hybrids) that the song seemed focused on the cymbals with the 400i. With the velour pads the focus was absolutely shifted back to the guitar & bass. The cymbals are still there, very crisp & clear, just not so forward. I still won't call the sound warm, but it is a step in the right direction (in my mind at least
wink_face.gif
).

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #12,112 of 14,386

Am using xDuoo XD-05 portable dac/amp (currently on massdrop I think) and was blown away by the sound.

Rolling the opamp next should give even better results :)

using xDuoo XD05 here too... very good synergy with the he400i... using fiio X5iii dap... loving it everyday... and the he400i was burned in 150 hrs prior than that :wink:

tried the burson op amp... but it turns off when at high gain, so i returned to the stock op amp, airyness, soundstage and separation was increase using the burson op amp.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #12,113 of 14,386

Thanks for that...it was as I had hoped! Thanks too, frogmeat69!

I'm running my 400i with a Burson Soloist MKII, and they (as well as my Nighthawks) seem to run rather well with the power this unit puts out....and not really advancing the volume all that much either. I've not tried to run them with just my iPod as yet, but I wouldn't expect much out of it - that's more of a use for my Senn 598 anyways. I've always been a subscriber of the 'more power available the better' ideal, but know also that it's not necessarily achievable.

I seem to be alternating between my 400i and NH on my rotations home, and the last time was giving the NH some love and attention, next will be the 400i - although they don't have that much time on them. Reading about the 'bass slam' above, I'm recalling what I noticed with the NH (and will know kinda what to listen for with the 400i)....and that is, though not the correct term perhaps, a nice presence of the bass. You know it's there, it's not ripping the hairs off the top of your head, but it's 'thumping' along nicely. I suppose if one wants 'bass slam', they'd probably be better off with a pair of 12" subwoofers....but that's probably unfair as I'm still beginning my jourmey into enjoying (critically or just 'enjoying') the world of headphones, so I may well be speaking out of turn.

So I'll try and compare the 400i with what I heard with the NH, and hear the difference....knowing of course that they are using different driver technology. But I do very much enjoy both pairs, and am feeling rather lucky to have them both to use.

Cheers!

When I had a friends Nighthawk for a few weeks it was quite a change in sound signature from the HE400i and I think they make great complimentary headphones.  Found the Nighthawks to be easier to listen to but a little to polite at times compared to the HE400i which can get sibilant with some tracks.  The choice of amp for both makes a difference, Nighthawks sounded best to me with Asgard2 while the HE-400i with either Ember or headphone jack of UD-301.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #12,114 of 14,386
Is it a great idea to pair the he-400i with the sony NW-A35 dap plus ALO the international AMP??since im still using my samsung s7 as the audio source...please do give a advice if there are other better alternative dap.still new to this

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #12,116 of 14,386
Not sure if allowed, but https://www.massdrop.com/buy/xduoo-xd-05-dac-amp

One thing I do love about it is the "Bass-Boost" compared to a lot of other ones I've tried

Really only applies the boost to the places where it's wanted - zero boost/alteration to the sound in places where it's not wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back