1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MattTCG, Jan 8, 2014.
First

Back
783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792
794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803
Next

Last
  1. whiteink
    Hi,

How is the pairing between HE400i & iFi iDSD Nano?

I have listened to my HE400i out of Beyerdynamic A20, Chord Mojo, Fiio E10k, Oppo HA-2 & Asus Essence STX & yet, I'm not pleased with the sound. I prefer a little bit more body to the sound. Bass is deep but is not that impactful. Even HD600 has more bass impact than my HE400i. Midrange is a little bit distant and Highs are a little bit hot.
    But as a whole, I think it is one of the most capable headphones under 500$ and technically it's a great Headphone. I'm just trying to tame it! one of my friends recommended iFi amps and the only one I can afford is iDSD Nano. Do you think it's a good choice?

Thanks in advance

2. wigglepuff

I can still hear clearly from 16khz down, and my hearing is actually more audible on the 4khz up compared to mid and lower freq, but below 20hz is barely audible to me.

I can barely hear rumble on 10hz going to 20hz, but at start of 20hz its already very audible. oh well.

3. wigglepuff

Pair it with a neutral dac or warmer one, get anything with similar tonality and you have weaponized highs, Thats why people keep recommending and pairing it with tube dac/amps, the final output should be smooth and very detailed.

I used it on the e10k alone and its ok but without the crunch and sibilance of the highs, its cleaner when using the A5 as an amp.

The 400i lacks mid bass hump (200hz, you can eq it) which makes the sound more full bodied, the senn HD600 has that, and Philips X1 has a ton of that. its the magic frequency where audio tech give a +/- db level to make it sound more neutral/clinical or more smotth/warm.

4. saywhuut
  5. MickeyVee
    True that.  A bit of overkill but I'm pairing my HE400i {new version} with the Naim DAC-V1.  Absolutely stunning! Deep and impactful lows, beautiful lush mids and great highs. Only thing lacking is the soundstage but I'm comparing it to the HD800.

Quote:

6. drwlf

I tried to include you in my previous post.
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489
    Went with Brainwavz angled pleathers due to @James Myers measurements and the cheap cost, but there's discussion about other viable pads/other pads with more height which should have similar effects: Audeze, Stax, ZMF, Dekoni and I guess the list goes on.
    Here's some Brainwavz comparisons on the 560 thread, thanks to @Jazic: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/17025#post_12886234

7. drwlf

Tbh, I don't think any amplifier will change the FR curve as much as pad-rolling or tweaks/mods.
    The fact is that 400i doesn't have a very dense tone in the lower registers, or is thick in general, it's not a slam monster.

8. kongo
    I'm use to car audio, and the bass curve is similar to 400I. Real strong low end 20Hz, and it get litter as it moves away from the larger speaker to the smaller speaker.

9. mjktool29
    Hi all! I just got these HIFIMAN HE-400I headphones. They sound fantastic. There is an issue though. There are times when I move my body or touch the cord and the sound will cut in and out. Everything is plugged in correctly and not loose. These cans are connected to an Asgard 2 amp. I also have have two other sets of headphones as well and they dont have this problem. I tried searching this massive thread, but gave up! Has this kind of issue ever happened with these headphones in this thread? Do you think it would be just a cord issue?

10. AT Khan

Change pads. Look at the ones I recommended. Pleather.

11. AT Khan

This is... strange. Should NOT happen. None of my cans do that, or even any aftermarket cables I use with say, le Hifiman He400i.
    Check cables. Some QC issues could be there. Sound should be 100% persistent. This suggests foulplay.

12. DavidA
    Its a good possibility its the 2.5mm connectors, some said the connectors are not always secure so that is the first place I would check, but if its to both sides then the issue is the 3.5mm connector to the amp that might be the problem

13. wigglepuff
    is anyone using the 400i directly into a dragonfly red dac? how is it?

14. Mr Makarov
    Have not heard DFR. But they pair very well with DFB providing more than enough volume and clear, detailed spacious sound (compared to headphone jack of laptops and smartphones).

15. Mikko Peltonen

Mine had the same problem. Tried to wiggle the connectors on the headphones and sure, one of them had a problem. Went to the store the next day and got a new pair instantly.

First

Back
783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792
794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803
Next

Last