Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Mar 5, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #11,881 of 14,386
Hi,

How is the pairing between HE400i & iFi iDSD Nano?

I have listened to my HE400i out of Beyerdynamic A20, Chord Mojo, Fiio E10k, Oppo HA-2 & Asus Essence STX & yet, I'm not pleased with the sound. I prefer a little bit more body to the sound. Bass is deep but is not that impactful. Even HD600 has more bass impact than my HE400i. Midrange is a little bit distant and Highs are a little bit hot.
But as a whole, I think it is one of the most capable headphones under 500$ and technically it's a great Headphone. I'm just trying to tame it! one of my friends recommended iFi amps and the only one I can afford is iDSD Nano. Do you think it's a good choice?

Thanks in advance

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #11,882 of 14,386
Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not hearing much over 12 kHz--I know this from an audiology visit as well as the tests at that website. Not much hearing loss below that, given my age, but audiologists don't test as low as 20 Hz.

I can still hear clearly from 16khz down, and my hearing is actually more audible on the 4khz up compared to mid and lower freq, but below 20hz is barely audible to me.

Using this test and a bass frequency test album on Spotify I can say that I hear down to 15hz, but 15hz-20hz sounds rolled off in comparison 25hz-30hz.

I can barely hear rumble on 10hz going to 20hz, but at start of 20hz its already very audible. oh well.

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #11,883 of 14,386
  Hi,

I have listened to my HE400i out of Beyerdynamic A20, Chord Mojo, Fiio E10k, Oppo HA-2 & Asus Essence STX & yet, I'm not pleased with the sound. I prefer a little bit more body to the sound. Bass is deep but is not that impactful. Even HD600 has more bass impact than my HE400i. Midrange is a little bit distant and Highs are a little bit hot.
But as a whole, I think it is one of the most capable headphones under 500$ and technically it's a great Headphone. I'm just trying to tame it! one of my friends recommended iFi amps and the only one I can afford is iDSD Nano. Do you think it's a good choice?

Thanks in advance

Pair it with a neutral dac or warmer one, get anything with similar tonality and you have weaponized highs, Thats why people keep recommending and pairing it with tube dac/amps, the final output should be smooth and very detailed.

I used it on the e10k alone and its ok but without the crunch and sibilance of the highs, its cleaner when using the A5 as an amp.

The 400i lacks mid bass hump (200hz, you can eq it) which makes the sound more full bodied, the senn HD600 has that, and Philips X1 has a ton of that. its the magic frequency where audio tech give a +/- db level to make it sound more neutral/clinical or more smotth/warm.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #11,885 of 14,386
True that.  A bit of overkill but I'm pairing my HE400i {new version} with the Naim DAC-V1.  Absolutely stunning! Deep and impactful lows, beautiful lush mids and great highs. Only thing lacking is the soundstage but I'm comparing it to the HD800.

Quote:

Pair it with a neutral dac or warmer one, get anything with similar tonality and you have weaponized highs, Thats why people keep recommending and pairing it with tube dac/amps, the final output should be smooth and very detailed.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #11,886 of 14,386
  Sorry if I've missed it.  What pads are suggested to increase that bass weight with the 400i?

I tried to include you in my previous post.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/572327/mission-replace-the-hifiman-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads/540#post_12665489
Went with Brainwavz angled pleathers due to @James Myers measurements and the cheap cost, but there's discussion about other viable pads/other pads with more height which should have similar effects: Audeze, Stax, ZMF, Dekoni and I guess the list goes on.
Here's some Brainwavz comparisons on the 560 thread, thanks to @Jazic: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/17025#post_12886234

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #11,887 of 14,386
  Hi,

Thanks in advance

Tbh, I don't think any amplifier will change the FR curve as much as pad-rolling or tweaks/mods.
The fact is that 400i doesn't have a very dense tone in the lower registers, or is thick in general, it's not a slam monster.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #11,889 of 14,386
Hi all! I just got these HIFIMAN HE-400I headphones. They sound fantastic. There is an issue though. There are times when I move my body or touch the cord and the sound will cut in and out. Everything is plugged in correctly and not loose. These cans are connected to an Asgard 2 amp. I also have have two other sets of headphones as well and they dont have this problem. I tried searching this massive thread, but gave up! Has this kind of issue ever happened with these headphones in this thread? Do you think it would be just a cord issue?

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #11,890 of 14,386
  Hi,

Thanks in advance

Change pads. Look at the ones I recommended. Pleather.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #11,891 of 14,386
  Hi all! I just got these HIFIMAN HE-400I headphones. They sound fantastic. There is an issue though. There are times when I move my body or touch the cord and the sound will cut in and out. Everything is plugged in correctly and not loose. These cans are connected to an Asgard 2 amp. I also have have two other sets of headphones as well and they dont have this problem. I tried searching this massive thread, but gave up! Has this kind of issue ever happened with these headphones in this thread? Do you think it would be just a cord issue?

This is... strange. Should NOT happen. None of my cans do that, or even any aftermarket cables I use with say, le Hifiman He400i.
Check cables. Some QC issues could be there. Sound should be 100% persistent. This suggests foulplay.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #11,892 of 14,386

Its a good possibility its the 2.5mm connectors, some said the connectors are not always secure so that is the first place I would check, but if its to both sides then the issue is the 3.5mm connector to the amp that might be the problem

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #11,894 of 14,386
  is anyone using the 400i directly into a dragonfly red dac? how is it?

Have not heard DFR. But they pair very well with DFB providing more than enough volume and clear, detailed spacious sound (compared to headphone jack of laptops and smartphones).

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #11,895 of 14,386

Mine had the same problem. Tried to wiggle the connectors on the headphones and sure, one of them had a problem. Went to the store the next day and got a new pair instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back