Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 16, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #11,628 of 14,386
Just bought a second hand HE-400I and loving it, just the clampforce seems a bit excessive, but 
with a little bending its seems to stretch out a bit.
Nice upgrade compared to my Senn HD600 anyway..

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #11,630 of 14,386

Good to hear!
@dakanao seems to have gone the other way, towards HD650, any impressions vs. the 400i? :p

Yes, the HD 650 arrived today. 

I like the HD 650 definitely more than the HE-400i.

The HD 650 has less treble, is A LOT smoother, but I wouldn't call them veiled in the slightest, Just very natural, extened, neutral treble,

Mids are a bit more forward on the HD 650, and bass is quite similar, with the HE-400i having more impact and sub-bass.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #11,632 of 14,386
 Originally Posted by drwlf 

Good to hear!
@dakanao seems to have gone the other way, towards HD650, any impressions vs. the 400i? :p

Yes, i know..
I bought his HE-400I..
tongue.gif

I find the bass has more definition and detail and is much tighter.
The mids has something special, some clarity and are very open, although the mids
of the HD600 are also very good...
Just one thing i struggle with is the clampforce, put some books between the earcups
and eveyday some little bending with 2 hands seems then to open a bit.
But must say they look like new, it seems they are not very much used before so i give then some time.
popcorn.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #11,633 of 14,386
  $10, if I only need the ring then it's better to go with the cheaper aftermarket ones. Unless one of those earpads are really good, are they?

You need to buy the $10 velours for the rings alone.  Cheaper aftermarket off-brand pads don't come with the mounting rings.  You could also take the ring out of your stock pads if you don't mind not having those around in the future.

I asked about buying the rings completely separate from pads and HiFiMan quoted me at $10+shipping with a request sent in to their support team.

Yes, i know..
I bought his HE-400I..
tongue.gif

I find the bass has more definition and detail and is much tighter.
The mids has something special, some clarity and are very open, although the mids
of the HD600 are also very good...
Just one thing i struggle with is the clampforce, put some books between the earcups
and eveyday some little bending with 2 hands seems then to open a bit.
But must say they look like new, it seems they are not very much used before so i give then some time.
popcorn.gif

I love how tight the bass is on HE400i, I recently bought a THX00 and like how they sound, but the bass is just ever so on the verge of being out of control, in comparison to the HE400i it just feels all over the place.

Slowly getting used to it however. :)

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #11,634 of 14,386
I thought the treble was harsh at first, it has smoothed out a lot since I got them, I'm just trying a little with an AK Jr i just bought and wow, the sound is great with the he400i, loud enough, and the sound is not harsh anymore, the highs are outstanding revealing now!

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #11,635 of 14,386

The HD 650 has less treble, is A LOT smoother, but I wouldn't call them veiled in the slightest, Just very natural, extened, neutral treble,

Mids are a bit more forward on the HD 650, and bass is quite similar, with the HE-400i having more impact and sub-bass.

I'm glad you like the HD650 !
Have fun with it..
happy_face1.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #11,636 of 14,386

You need to buy the $10 velours for the rings alone.  Cheaper aftermarket off-brand pads don't come with the mounting rings.  You could also take the ring out of your stock pads if you don't mind not having those around in the future.

The velours are out of stock, I was referring to this.. found on ebay:

isn't that the ring?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #11,638 of 14,386

I'd describe the bass a bit differently, HD650 having more impact/slam due to the dynamic drivers, mid-bass being a bit more pronounced, sub-bass a lot more rolled off + distortion kicks in.
No comments on the veil :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back