Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 15, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #9,931 of 14,386

I like the combo, but find that it really benefits an unexpected amount from using a balanced cable out of the Jot- especially the sound stage for some reason. It wasn't as piercing or overly-trebletastic as I feared.

Do note that I wasn't using the built-in Delta/Sigma DAC, but the Modi 2 Multibit, though.

A good alternative is to get the Mimby and a Vali 2 (as ever, EH6CG7 tube recommended), as a tiny little stack. It will cost a similar amount, and give you a much airier sound, with a deeper soundstage- if you're mostly wanting to drive the HE-400i.

If, however, you think you might like to get HD650/HD6xx at some point, the Jotunheim is a killer option- it's decent with the HE-400i, but amazing with the HD650. It's trade-offs all the way down, as ever!

Thanks mate
I will one day own one of those Senns again.
I kind of like the all in one route of the Jotunheim, plus it has power to drive just about anything. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #9,932 of 14,386
Yeah, it has bags of power, and it's really clean. It can be a bit too much for some people, especially with really trebly headphones, but it's a hell of a lot of amp for the price. Don't let me put you off one of the better bargains currently out there.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #9,933 of 14,386
I got them from Samtech Audio. I do want to make it clear, any problem I had was with Hifiman, not Samtech. Mike at Samtech seems like a standup guy, and I would order from Samtech again.

The scratches are minor and I'm fine with them, my only concern is the tech who did the conversion was sloppy. But what am I going to do, ship $250 phones back and demand another set over a few scratches? It should have been obvious to me from the start that the units with lowered prices are converted units. That's what I ordered, that's what I got, and luck of the draw determines if yours was converted by a tech who was careful not to scratch the cups.

edit: THESE SOUND AMAZING. Listening to Yours is No Disgrace right now. OMG. These are as good as my Alpha Primes. Different, but as good. Power hungry though... I can take the volume knob on Magni 2 Uber just about all the way up on low gain, and this is not a weak amp I don't think. I wonder if my Fiio E10K can drive these satisfactorily. I doubt my Galaxy S4 could.

Not nearly as comfortable as the Alpha Primes though. But much more comfortable than my sr80e.

As long as it sounds like he400i, the minor scratches worth the discounted price. I have to wait my he400i until January late when my friend come back form China.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #9,935 of 14,386
I've tried nearly every hifiman headphone, except the he-6 and 1000, and i'd have to say it competes with the best.

Thanks for the info. I nearly going to pull trigger on he560 and I saw he400i price was drop on 11.11, didn't think for another second and I know this is gonna be my best decision of the year!

Now just gonna save money for decent amp

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #9,936 of 14,386
Thanks for the info. I nearly going to pull trigger on he560 and I saw he400i price was drop on 11.11, didn't think for another second and I know this is gonna be my best decision of the year!

Now just gonna save money for decent amp

As far as powering them goes, any amp should be able to get them loud enough; however, there is a lot of dispute that planars need to paired well to get the best out of them. The ef-5 i used to own did a good job of taming the highs and making it sound more "full". I would recommend a tube amp over something like the o2, but both sounded fantastic.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #9,937 of 14,386
As far as powering them goes, any amp should be able to get them loud enough; however, there is a lot of dispute that planars need to paired well to get the best out of them. The ef-5 i used to own did a good job of taming the highs and making it sound more "full". I would recommend a tube amp over something like the o2, but both sounded fantastic.

I already have o2 amp by jdslab. It was truly neutral sounding amp.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #9,938 of 14,386
I already have o2 amp by jdslab. It was truly neutral sounding amp.

I think you mis-typed "poorly-designed and prone to clipping in the bass" 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #9,942 of 14,386
Anyone running custom cables?

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #9,944 of 14,386
my stock pads pleather is peeling and popping out of the cup rim :frowning2: had them for 5 or 6 months, ive got the new 2.5mm version, is it hard to replace pads on these? i'm not well experienced with maintenance on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back