**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #9,542 of 22,116
Quote:

You mean for those who have earwax blockage or anyone? Because I have none of these issues, but I use it every now and then just to take the excess off.

For anyone. That is not, nor has it ever been, their intended purpose. If you say you have none of these issues, then again, you're just lucky.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #9,543 of 22,116
My HE-400 stopped working yesterday :frowning2: I haven't had them for more than a year. Carefully used them. The left channel still works but nothing comes out from the right channel. I've tested changing source and switched left cable to the right channel and it didn't work. Something has happened in the right earcup. I can return them but it will cost a lot shipping from Sweden to Hong Kong... And it will probably get stuck in the customs on the way back.

What might have gone wrong and can I fix it myself? Or is it too hard?

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #9,544 of 22,116
Read up the whole thread, i think it was mentioned in it and that there is a way to fix it.

I got another question that i belive has not yet been answered.
Anyone know a youtube link where they show how to take off the ear pads? I just got my Beyer pads and want to change them , but i dont know how much pressure i can apply on the earpads to take them off, or if it might daamge the connectors.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #9,546 of 22,116
Quote:
^ This.

I find it disturbing that many here are using these home-brewed methods to clean their ear canals.

My "home brewed" method for ear-ache / wax build up was recommended to me by a healthcare professional. Peroxide actually does work also, but I generally don't use that. I need a 'treatment' every so often, partly because I have scar tissue in one ear created by impacted wax that was not removed for a very long time. They simply did not believe I had a problem. I thought I was going to go deaf. It was just water and saline (salt) that was used to flush out the wax. Miracle cure!

I also suffer from seasonal allergies, and have learned that there are many "natural" remedies are way better than being hungover on benedryll all day. One is called Sirachi Hot Sauce, the other is called coffee. Seriously, when you try everything, and nothing works, I go for what helps and let my food be the decongestant. A lot of manufactured remedies are just expensive and ineffective. As I already mentioned, a lot of "ear treatment" stuff either already uses alcohol, or peroxide or whatever.

Medicine is big business, so is music, so is music electronics. As someone that thinks that Hi-fi man leaves a lot of performance on the table, accessible via simple pad and cup mods, I figure you ought to realize that the health care business is part science, and part . . . business. There is plenty of healthcare on the shelf that uses common household ingredients so you might as well buck up and attempt a home remedy now and again. 

I mean, a spray pump bottle filled with water / vinegar / can save you hundreds on expensive household cleaners for common wipe-up tasks. So why not?

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #9,547 of 22,116
I generally never remove my cables either. I have already violently tossed the phones, while connected, to the floor. The cable gets snagged in my chair. Luckily, no damage.

I would be careful of frequent plugging / unplugging. The ear cup connection seems like it would be easy to break or strip. Cross threading could also become an issue.

I don't really need to unplug mine so I typically don't.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #9,548 of 22,116
I also wanted to ask a general question.

Is there any sort of consensus over what the best pair of Sennheisers might be that would be considered to have comparable extension to the HE-400, and a bit on the nuetral / cold side? Prior discussions have suggested that the 600/650 would be about right. How about the 598s?

I've been re-discovering my HD-595s after a long break from them, and really like having a comfortable, light, and non-fatiguing phone around. I may want to upgrade, but I am not sure that moving into a 600/650 would be a noticeable step up. I wouldn't be interested in spending more than $2-300 or so.What about other brands?

The 400's are sonically superior to my ears, but they haven't made me hate Sennheiser.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #9,549 of 22,116
Only Sennheiser I know that really fits that description is hd800.  HD598 is a bit on the colder/brighter side to me too, but doesn't have the extension of the 800, nor is it as cold/bright as the hd800.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #9,550 of 22,116
Another question, I thought you were supposed to wear the HE-400 with the R/L lettering facing backwards, but the cable seems to disagree because if I do that then the Y-split is twisted, which is bad because that seems to be a culprit in causing the connectors to loosen. I have been twisting that Y-split to match how I was wearing them, but that's not really a great solution so I'm flipping the headphone over right now. Is that the real right way to wear them?

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #9,551 of 22,116
Quote:
I also wanted to ask a general question.

Is there any sort of consensus over what the best pair of Sennheisers might be that would be considered to have comparable extension to the HE-400, and a bit on the nuetral / cold side? Prior discussions have suggested that the 600/650 would be about right. How about the 598s?

I've been re-discovering my HD-595s after a long break from them, and really like having a comfortable, light, and non-fatiguing phone around. I may want to upgrade, but I am not sure that moving into a 600/650 would be a noticeable step up. I wouldn't be interested in spending more than $2-300 or so.What about other brands?

The 400's are sonically superior to my ears, but they haven't made me hate Sennheiser.

I don't think anyone could ever hate Sennheiser. Even if their headphones are quite old, they still sound great even against other options present today. If you go for the Sennheieser HD6xx, they won't be an upgrade if you already have the HE-400. More than likely you will find having one of the HD6xx to be a different taste in sound style that you may like more or less compared to the HE-400. 

If you are looking for comparable extension and a bit of neutrality I'd say the HD600 is the best one to go for. Although many people say extension is better on the HD650, I have always felt that the HD600 did a better job of this. Overall though I feel that the Senn's will not be technically superior to the HE-400. Just consider them different flavors that are relatively even . 

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #9,552 of 22,116
Quote:
Another question, I thought you were supposed to wear the HE-400 with the R/L lettering facing backwards, but the cable seems to disagree because if I do that then the Y-split is twisted, which is bad because that seems to be a culprit in causing the connectors to loosen. I have been twisting that Y-split to match how I was wearing them, but that's not really a great solution so I'm flipping the headphone over right now. Is that the real right way to wear them?

It really doesn't matter, as long as the correct channel of the cable is on the correct side of your head - the orientation of the headphones themselves doesn't matter because they're symmetrical. I typically just have the lettering facing backwards on both if I recall correctly.  It shouldn't twist the stock cable.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #9,554 of 22,116
Quote:
Read up the whole thread, i think it was mentioned in it and that there is a way to fix it.

I got another question that i belive has not yet been answered.
Anyone know a youtube link where they show how to take off the ear pads? I just got my Beyer pads and want to change them , but i dont know how much pressure i can apply on the earpads to take them off, or if it might daamge the connectors.

Catspaw, is this what you are looking for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7r5TcMS3G4   changing earpads

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #9,555 of 22,116
Just wanna ask if anyone is also removing the cable after use. I use my HE-400 only in weekends and I remove the cables when I know I won't use them for a week. I wonder if anyone does it too and if it's okay, Im very careful removing it/putting it on though.

I wouldn't remove the cables, as you're causing extra stress to the connectors, which are already a PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back