**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #8,416 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't think your pads are going to affect your drivers' burn in at all. The sound going to your ears will differ, but the burn in process of the drivers is independent of pads on the cups.

I'm sorry for the confusion; that's not what I meant--poor wording on my part.  I was just asking if I should just take some time to get used to the pleather sound signature and for the burn in to complete before comparing to the velours.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #8,417 of 22,116
My velours and travel case came a few minutes ago. In a hurry to put them on, I forgot to give the pleather pads one last listen for the sake of comparison. Installation was a breeze (thanks to those that suggest using a credit card to get the last tab clicked in) and the comfort is fantastic. I enjoy what they do to Norah Jones' voice which, before the swap, left a little something to be desired.

I don't foresee myself doing the jerg pad mods but I am definitely pleased with this simple and cheap upgrade. The grill mod is next but that's probably where I'll call it good.

I'm a little bit disappointed in the travel case for the HiFiMAN headphones. It looks like it will do a good job of protecting them (which is about all I could ask for) but I was a bit let down by the lack of accessory storage. The feel is much like the case that comes with the Ultrasone Pro 900s, but that at least had a net on the upper part for the cables (and a small compartment covered by a fabric patch). Then again, those are designed to collapse into a flat form, leaving room for stuff on top of them.

I'll be looking for some Velcro fasteners because that's probably all that would be needed for the cable to stay put. The price may be a tad high for what you get but spending $30 on a case definitely beats ruining a $400 pair of headphones.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8,418 of 22,116
Great review! I am really keen to have a listen to a pair - unfortunately in New Zealand that is easier said than done!

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #8,420 of 22,116
Just got my vegan LCD2 in. JUST as awesome as the leather padded LCD2 with the additional velour comfort. YES! :D

DAT BASSESESESES

Selling the HE400 for vegan LCD2: JUSTIFIABLE

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #8,421 of 22,116
Quote:
Just got my vegan LCD2 in. JUST as awesome as the leather padded LCD2 with the additional velour comfort. YES!
biggrin.gif

DAT BASSESESESES

So you liking the vegan pads? Do those also give that air cabin pressure?

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #8,422 of 22,116

Nope. I mean, when you put them on, there's a slight suction, but it immediately goes away. The leather does the same. It's not a constant pressure.

Sounds near identical as to what I remember the other one sounding like. And the pads are fantastic.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #8,423 of 22,116
Quote:
Just got my vegan LCD2 in. JUST as awesome as the leather padded LCD2 with the additional velour comfort. YES!
biggrin.gif

DAT BASSESESESES

Just gotta rub it in, do ya.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #8,424 of 22,116
Actually I beg to differ 
biggrin.gif
 I'm enjoying the heck out of my HE500s with the cheap ass E17.

Don't forget 2nd hand HE500s go for approx $550-600 here on Head-fi.

Aww... that kind of hurt, haha.  Well I actually got the magni amp, and it's cheaper than the e17 so I don't think it would have made a difference.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #8,425 of 22,116
Lol, no. I'm just happy. I was really scared the vegan pads would harm the SQ. It sounds just like I remember the other ones sounding, in fact it might sound more open, with no loss of bass. Still, since I can't directly A/B I can't be sure. All I know is that the bass and mids are sublime. Endgame music headphone, indeed.

I can't get over that bass. Like, holy smokes.

Just looked at all the graphs... they all have a steeper roll off after 1khz. Mine measured LCD2 is actually more tonally balanced/flat than Headroom, Tyll, and some of Purrin's graphs. I have to trust my ears in saying they do sound not as rolled off as the other leather padded pair in terms of sparkle. My LCD2's 10khz is almost perfectly level with the bass/mids, yet, the bass hits just as hard.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #8,426 of 22,116
Whoa hold on I never said the D2000s were better. But they manage to sound more refined than the HE-400s, that I can say. 

Also I have previewed the LCD-2, albeit not for an extended period of time. I can't really speak much about the musicality of it, but the treble rolloff is a welcome change. 

Like the other person said, the HD 650 is a more refined/musical phone but technically they probably aren't as good as the HE-400s.

As for bass - I did not say they were lacking bass I said they were lacking IMPACT. That's an important difference (keep in mind this is with velours). They are also definitely lacking full extension. 

Right now I am attempting to try the HE-400 with various amps to see if I can get a good combination. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #8,427 of 22,116
About the only thing more refined the D2000 has over the HE-400 is maybe its aesthetics and ergonomics.  I'm not trying to be an HE-400 apologist here, because I really loved my D2000 when I had it-- hell I even picked it as a better overall package than the HD650, but I completely acknowledge its faults.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #8,430 of 22,116
Congrats MLE!! Tell me what you think of the weight after three days. It was too much for me. 

Well I demoed them for 3 days before, and weight is definitely a factor, but its not a dealbreaker. For the times that it does become a factor, that's what my Annies are for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back