**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #8,386 of 22,116
It may be a gratuitous stroking of the HE-400 ego but dang, Money For Nothing just kills me with these headphones. Brownies, Dire Straits, and the HE-400s make for a good preamble to a Saturday night.

To keep myself from straying from the thread's intentions, I'll add that I'm expecting my velours in the mail tomorrow (and the carrying case because I travel just enough with these to make it worth the while). I'm stoked to try them out. I'm also gathering the supplies to do Jerg's grill mod. That should be a fun project.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #8,387 of 22,116
No. The HiFiMANs bring out more vocal clarity but the detail and richness isn't there.

Bummer... thats the main thing I'm looking for in vocals.
If you want something that is a good compromise between HD650 and HE400 (achieves most of both headphones, but not quite), try Mad Dogs.

I was looking at the mad dogs too.  Based on it's frequency response graph it basically looks like my HD595 with much better bass extention, which actually sound great because the only thing that keeps me from really enjoying my 595's is the lack of bass extention.

Would it's closed back design make it less detailed than the HE-400?
If you want something that takes the best of HD650s and HE400 and is something better altogether, HE500s.

If I had the dough, I'd definately get the he500.  It's graph makes it seem perfect.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #8,388 of 22,116
Quote:
Bummer... thats the main thing I'm looking for in vocals.

I was looking at the mad dogs too.  Based on it's frequency response graph it basically looks like my HD595 with much better bass extention, which actually sound great because the only thing that keeps me from really enjoying my 595's is the lack of bass extention.

Would it's closed back design make it less detailed than the HE-400?
If I had the dough, I'd definately get the he500.  It's graph makes it seem perfect.

For utter contentment, you should probably save up for the 500s. No amount of tweaks will turn a headphone into something it's not. For now.

Why not HD650s though if you haven't tried them? They were great cans, and will still continue to be great cans. Believe it or not they were even considered flagships when I tried them for the first time!

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #8,389 of 22,116
For utter contentment, you should probably save up for the 500s. No amount of tweaks will turn a headphone into something it's not. For now.

Why not HD650s though if you haven't tried them? They were great cans, and will still continue to be great cans. Believe it or not they were even considered flagships when I tried them for the first time!

Believe me, I've looked at the HD650's and the HE-500's, but my budget is $410.  And I don't think I fele like waiting a whole year again to get the money I need. I'm operating on a students budget who get all his money from his birthday and christmas, lol.  I actually could have gotten the HE-500's a couple weeks ago, but i spent a good chunk of my cash on an amp and dac.  No sense in getting the beast that is the HE-500 without a good amp and dac.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #8,390 of 22,116
Quote:
Believe me, I've looked at the HD650's and the HE-500's, but my budget is $410.  And I don't think I fele like waiting a whole year again to get the money I need. I'm operating on a students budget who get all his money from his birthday and christmas, lol.  I actually could have gotten the HE-500's a couple weeks ago, but i spent a good chunk of my cash on an amp and dac.  No sense in getting the beast that is the HE-500 without a good amp and dac.

I found the hd 650 to be musical but for me they lacked a bit of the excitement and the mids sound great but they aren't very forward, in terms of sound stage and instrument separation the he-400's are alot better.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #8,391 of 22,116
Quote:

Actually I beg to differ 
biggrin.gif
 I'm enjoying the heck out of my HE500s with the cheap ass E17.

Don't forget 2nd hand HE500s go for approx $550-600 here on Head-fi.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #8,393 of 22,116
Quote:

HE500s are sensitive as orthos actually, about same level as LCD2s, a bit harder to drive than HE400s. HE400/500/LCD2 are overall a HUGE gap away from what it takes to drive HE4/5LE/6 etc.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #8,394 of 22,116
HE500s are sensitive as orthos actually, about same level as LCD2s, a bit harder to drive than HE400s. HE400/500/LCD2 are overall a HUGE gap away from what it takes to drive HE4/5LE/6 etc.

I'm thinking about narrowing down my little headphone collection I got going on at home.  Debating on either the he500 or just saving up for an lcd-2.  Super tempted at selling my denons... but I know thats not gonna happen any time soon, 
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #8,395 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm thinking about narrowing down my little headphone collection I got going on at home.  Debating on either the he500 or just saving up for an lcd-2.  Super tempted at selling my denons... but I know thats not gonna happen any time soon, 
tongue.gif

Do not think of LCD2s as "upgrades" to the likes of HE500, because they are not. The two are equivalent, with a lot of similarities (refine full thick mids and bass, overall fairly natural and warm), as well as each having some strong points relative to the other (LCD2 with more controlled tactile solid bass and more linear bass-to-mids transition, HE500 with more spacious sound, better dynamics, and sweeter treble).

IMO HE500 with the full jergpad mod actually edges out LCD2.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #8,396 of 22,116
Do not think of LCD2s as "upgrades" to the likes of HE500, because they are not. The two are equivalent, with each having some strong points relative to the other. IMO HE500 with the full jergpad mod actually edges out LCD2.

I'm really considering the he500 over the lcd-2.  I'm not reay to spend that much on a headphone, haha.  I still got a long way to go until then.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #8,397 of 22,116
Quote:

Next on my shopping list is a DAC by either Yulong or AudioGD using the warm W8741. Any suggestions as to DAC's would save me an awful lot of reading, so if you have one, maybe even to sell, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Nothing for sale here, but I can confirm that WM8741 sounds great with my HE-400 with the 10.2 in my sig, might be viable for you depending on what you're looking for. I personally like having a combo amp. Consider the 15.32 if you don't plan on going balanced.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #8,398 of 22,116
Quote:
Actually I beg to differ 
biggrin.gif
 I'm enjoying the heck out of my HE500s with the cheap ass E17.

Don't forget 2nd hand HE500s go for approx $550-600 here on Head-fi.

Jerg,

What exactly does the 500 does better than the 400 ? I normally prefer my sound to be colored towards bass but the 400 has made me very aware of how good and sweet treble can be. And the E17 huh ? I am cranking my 400s out with the Bifrost/Asgard.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #8,399 of 22,116
Quote:
Jerg,

What exactly does the 500 does better than the 400 ? I normally prefer my sound to be colored towards bass but the 400 has made me very aware of how good and sweet treble can be. And the E17 huh ? I am cranking my 400s out with the Bifrost/Asgard.

Big pluses: more transparent-sounding, more euphonic and engaging, significantly better treble in every way

Small pluses: better bass extension and texture, less grain, blacker background (lower THD in mids)

Things HE400 have over HE500: more perceived clarity (mainly due to the dip in upper mids and peak in treble), more tactile bass

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #8,400 of 22,116
Quote:
Do not think of LCD2s as "upgrades" to the likes of HE500, because they are not. The two are equivalent, with a lot of similarities (refine full thick mids and bass, overall fairly natural and warm), as well as each having some strong points relative to the other (LCD2 with more controlled tactile solid bass and more linear bass-to-mids transition, HE500 with more spacious sound, better dynamics, and sweeter treble).

IMO HE500 with the full jergpad mod actually edges out LCD2.

Alright, here's an offer you cannot refuse. I'll buy your Jergpad-modded HE500 - the 500 at an appropriate discount to a new one (you name it) + all of your cost for the modding. I'll take care of shipping obviously. This is what I call I win-win (but you may disagree) 
beerchug.gif
. That away, i'll never screw up on any modding myself. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back