**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #7,876 of 22,116
Quote:

You and me both dude. No need for me to upgrade anytime soon, but I may a year or two down the line.

Quote:
Man some of you are crazy, chasing unicorns. Constantly buying and selling the same headphone ... I'm just thankful I love my HE-400 and don't feel the need to upgrade!

I know I'm not crazy.  I know I saw a unicorn jump down a rabbit hole..  I'm chasing it now..
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #7,877 of 22,116
Ok I guess I overreacted, but I have both these headphones and I don't get how ppl constantly compare them. I never liked HD650 actually even tho I tried (have them 4 months +-). When I got HE-400 it felt to me like damn better headphones from completely different league than HD650 and after EQ there is no way I would use HD650 any more for anything I listen to. 

But I don't listen to jazz but only rock/metal/pop/dance/some classics.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #7,878 of 22,116
The HD650 is better suited for slower genres. I can see why you prefer the HE-400.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7,879 of 22,116
Quote:

I know I'm not crazy.  I know I saw a unicorn jump down a rabbit hole..  I'm chasing it now..
biggrin.gif

Lost cause!

Quote:

You and me both dude. No need for me to upgrade anytime soon, but I may a year or two down the line.

Yeah I could see myself looking into the HE-500 or even the HE-6 a few years down the line, or even whatever the next Hifiman headphone is but I'm still melting into my music with the HE-400 and I don't see that feeling doing away anytime soon.

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #7,881 of 22,116
Originally Posted by TheGame21x /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What kind of differences are we talking about? Less midrange emphasis? Warmer? Darker? Bassier?

I'm a closet basshead (listening to a pair of Atrio Xs right now) with a soft spot for the HD-600s since they were my first high end headphone, but I would love to get something a bit bassier but on the same level or higher to compliment them.

Yes.. the HE-400's midrange is very clear, but the center-mids through center treble are gently recessed (with the the center-to-upper treble boosted).. this is almost the inverse of HD-600's tuning through that same region.  The HE-400 should make "traditional" bassheads very happy in that they EQ very well (you can extensively boost the sub/mid-bass and it'll remain tight, fast, and punchy w/o getting bloated).  I've owned both the HD600 & HE-400 at the same time & I think they make excellent complementary phones.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #7,882 of 22,116
I've had my HE-400s for over a month and while I've enjoyed them for some music, my primary use is for watching movies in the wee hours. I've finally found a configuration in JRMC with the original Isone Surround plugin and a few other DSPs that, combined with the HE-400s, make watching movies with headphones a real joy. I had the DT990 Pros for a bit alongside the HE-400s and I was a little concerned with the weight/comfort of the HE-400s but they sounded so good, I sent the 990s back. I've since gotten used to the weight/feel of the HE-400s and they're mostly comfortable for kicking back and watching a movie. If the film is good enough, I'll forget I'm even wearing them. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7,883 of 22,116
Quote:
The electronic music I listen to a lot is not only electronic dance music. It's also ambient, minimal and soundtracks (like Dark Knight, Tron). Hence I want headphones that give me very good sense of air, spaciousness (deep, wide and tall) as well as great speed and enough "aggressiveness". And the music shouldn't sound thin - the sound should have good weight.
HE-400 satisfies me in regards to the good weight of sound, but doesn't give me enough space/air and I am not fully satisfied with its speed and 'aggresiveness'. Tizziness in treble makes the music sound chaotic for me. Although I am going to check the EQing effects.

If anyone knows headphones that would better suit my taste than HE-400, I'd appreciate your advice.

I am interested in this as well. Does anyone know of any headphones that are better than HE-400 that can do electronic music like house/trance/EDM with better soundstage, clarity, and instrument separation under $500?

Korzena, you own both LCD2s and HE-400s? Have you tried using the EQ TMRaven posted? Does it sound like the LCD2 at all?

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #7,885 of 22,116
Quote:

I am interested in this as well. Does anyone know of any headphones that are better than HE-400 that can do electronic music like house/trance/EDM with better soundstage, clarity, and instrument separation under $500?

Korzena, you own both LCD2s and HE-400s? Have you tried using the EQ TMRaven posted? Does it sound like the LCD2 at all?

Under $500.00? Not that I know of... If I did, I'd own it. $500.00 was my limit too.  

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #7,886 of 22,116
=2621]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2621

I like the right 2/3rds of this graph. The bass part looks UGLY! 

Good thing that graph has nothing to do with the K702 Anniversary, which with the new memory foam pads (as well as possibly some new internal revisions) is noticeably warmer, with more bass in comparison to the non-Anniversary models. No graphs out yet, but you would be deaf not to hear the boost in bass in the Annies. :wink:

It's the most linear of the AKG K/Q/701/2 to date.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #7,888 of 22,116
Quote:

Yes.. the HE-400's midrange is very clear, but the center-mids through center treble are gently recessed (with the the center-to-upper treble boosted).. this is almost the inverse of HD-600's tuning through that same region.  The HE-400 should make "traditional" bassheads very happy in that they EQ very well (you can extensively boost the sub/mid-bass and it'll remain tight, fast, and punchy w/o getting bloated).  I've owned both the HD600 & HE-400 at the same time & I think they make excellent complementary phones.

That answers my question perfectly, thanks!

Guess I'll have to start saving up!
k701smile.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #7,889 of 22,116
Quote:

I haven't tried EQ TMRaven yet, but I would like to. In his post TMRaven made HE400EQFinal2.e-q file available for download. Is it possible to upload it directly to Electri-Q? I can't find the way to do it (normally Electri-Q saves settings to fxp file)?

Anyway I suppose it will make HE-400 (already quite similarly sounding to LCD-2) sound even more like LCD-2, but with more air and punch as it is without EQing.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #7,890 of 22,116
Quote:
I haven't tried EQ TMRaven yet, but I would like to. In his post TMRaven made HE400EQFinal2.e-q file available for download. Is it possible to upload it directly to Electri-Q? I can't find the way to do it (normally Electri-Q saves settings to fxp file)?

Anyway I suppose it will make HE-400 (already quite similarly sounding to LCD-2) sound even more like LCD-2, but with more air and punch as it is without EQing.

I think you load the EQ file in the Electri-Q foobar plugin by clicking the M button then Import Preset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back