**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #7,621 of 22,116
Quote:
The e07k pairs well with the he400. +12 gain worked for me...

Hey Matt, I've seen a few posts where you recommend using +12 gain on the Fiio E17 and now the same with the E07K.  I thought it would cause distortion and should be used only when unable to reach a good listening volume, so I've kept my E17 @ 0 gain and still manage to get a very good listening volume (usually never go beyond 36).

Do you have any particular reason for turning the gain setting all the way up, maybe better detail retrieval or an improved dynamic range?

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #7,622 of 22,116
Quote:

A little experiment which would surely please bass-heads 
basshead.gif

I can feel my head vibrating 
biggrin.gif

If I can't "feel" music with HE-400 than it's not load enough or bass isn't boosted enough 
size]

As for EQ ... oooh thats lot of dots 
size]
 You can do it much easily 
size]
 Put one gain dot in the middle (550hz+-) , set gain to desired number (how low u wanna go) and than there is the third paramter in setting of that gain dot (can't remmeber what it's called - I'am in work now) ... set it to maximum I think its "20" and this will result in flat line under the 0 dB mark. Than you can simply add gains nicely like you would do normaly => it won't be such a mess and u can create nice graphs 
size]

Hope that my chaotic poor english step by step commands makes any sense 
size]

ps: This parameteric EQ is rly great.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #7,624 of 22,116
Quote:
I used it for a while, but foobar2000 crashed a lot because of it :0

Nobody has this issue? Because I do really like it...

If you use George Yohng's VST wrapper then you shouldn't get any crashes. I used a different one previously which used to crash, perhaps that's what you're using?

Feb 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #7,627 of 22,116
JRiver has a couple of parametric EQ plugins but none of them have a cool interface like that. It makes it very hard to cut a good range of frequencies to create an effective "boost" at about 3500Hz. It would be excellent if they had a VST host mode but I haven't seen anything like it. That plugin looks excellent.

Edit: Never mind. I'm an idiot that hasn't even bothered looked at all of the options. The DSP Studio section of JRiver has a drop down menu that lets you add different plugins. Very nice.

--

I tried Electro-Q and it wouldn't show the display. I gave EasyQ a shot and it's working pretty well. It's not the best looking interface and fine tuning the values is tricky but it's worth it for a visual representation of what's going on. It's also great being able to EQ the proper way.

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #7,632 of 22,116
Quote:

In this case, sure M&M wouldn't be optimal. Btw is it possible to use iDo while charging it, or do u have to charge it ... use it ... charge it and so on ? 

I find this absolutely annoying with FiiO E11 :( My longest listening session is about 4 hours +- because than I am out of juice 
size]

I am actually also interested in this iDo thing now :) for my "portable" iPhone - FiiO E11 - SRH940 setup.

By bypassing built in stuff u mean iDo provide also something like this :

some kind of LOD cable ?

Yes it charges the iPod while it's plugged in. Just last night my listening session got cut short when the Battery in my Amp died. The iDo will solve both problems. It doesn't need charging and it charges the iPod while in use. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #7,633 of 22,116
My right driver occasionally makes a loud kind of tick or flex sound. Not sure if it's a source issue (I have an Aune T1) or my HE400s... anyone experienced this?

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #7,634 of 22,116
Quote:

Correct on that question.  I've heard from a very knowledgeable forum member and amp builder that getting certified by Apple for such and operation involves their approvals on everything -- even down to the package logos and how the implementation is utilized in the process.  Due to these higher hurdles, it appears many vendors would rather avoid such red tape from Apple and just market their products to work with the Apple DAC as opposed to working around it.  Fostex also makes a variant to handle the process, but their option is about $600.  Or, one could just go with an original iPod Classic 5 / video which has the 30gb or 60gb storage capabilities.  That model was the last to use the Wolfson DAC chips in it.  And, the last version to actually sound pretty good right out of the headphone jack.

I heard the same thing. Very difficult to get Apple to certify your design. What convinced me to do this is when I went from my Nano to our iPad and could hear how much better the DAC in the iPad was. It makes an audible difference. I'll let you guys know how the iDo works out and I'll post some pics of the final setup and how it all interconnects. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #7,635 of 22,116
Quote:
My right driver occasionally makes a loud kind of tick or flex sound. Not sure if it's a source issue (I have an Aune T1) or my HE400s... anyone experienced this?

Does it just make the noise at random?

Mine makes a clicking noise when I compress the pads(which blows air through the driver).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back