**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #6,376 of 22,116
Quote:
Ya, that just posts the link. I wanted to  embed the youtube video in the thread so you can play it right from here, But i don't know how as I never have do it before…but I have seen it in threads.

Edit: figured it out I think…insert video! lol ……makes sense

Good to hear. I see you have the J$ pads. How do you like em'? Mine should be arriving sometime this week. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #6,377 of 22,116
I've been reading through as much of this thread as I can, but from what I can tell, there still isn't any consensus on which pads are best. Considering it's a subjective choice, that's totally understandable. I'm just trying to get a better feeling on what would be the best option for me. 

I listened to the HE-400 with the stock pleather pads for the first week I had them and have been listening to the velours ever since. I think the velour pads sound a little bit better, but I find them quite uncomfortable (stiff and itchy). From what I've read, the J$ Beyer pads are one of the few out there that actually fit. Would these provide a better balance in terms of comfort and sound quality? Do they help with the highs like the velours seem to?

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #6,378 of 22,116
Quote:
I've been reading through as much of this thread as I can, but from what I can tell, there still isn't any consensus on which pads are best. Considering it's a subjective choice, that's totally understandable. I'm just trying to get a better feeling on what would be the best option for me. 

I listened to the HE-400 with the stock pleather pads for the first week I had them and have been listening to the velours ever since. I think the velour pads sound a little bit better, but I find them quite uncomfortable (stiff and itchy). From what I've read, the J$ Beyer pads are one of the few out there that actually fit. Would these provide a better balance in terms of comfort and sound quality? Do they help with the highs like the velours seem to?

Summed up my feelings towards the pleathers and velours. People seem to love the J$ for comfort. If they sound anything like the velours and are more comfy, I will be pleased. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #6,380 of 22,116
@ aiml3ss

here are a few older trance songs. 

2003:

2000:

2001:

In the late 90s and early to mid 2000s there was a lot of big names in the trance world. Of course thats when Tiesto, Armin, Ferry, Mike, Rank1 ect. were killing it. Im sure there are big names now as I don't follow the genre to much anymore however I don't hear trance on the radio like I did during those years (it was exploding…then it got diluted like anything that makes it too big..if you remember the song Motorcycle - As the rush comes….that pretty much killed the genre for me…it was too popular after that) and those are the years that defined what the genre should sound like….at least for me.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #6,381 of 22,116
Quote:

Summed up my feelings towards the pleathers and velours. People seem to love the J$ for comfort. If they sound anything like the velours and are more comfy, I will be pleased. 

Same here. Pleathers make me sweat and don't sound good. Velours are nice but so stiff. Will the J$ allow the pads to breathe like velours while giving more comfort?

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #6,382 of 22,116
Quote:

Sounds like the J$'s are worth a try. They're only available from wje, right? Should I just pm him? 

Yeah just PM wje (Wayne). He's extremely easy to work with. Good guy. 

@merkil

OMG! Didn't expect you to lay them out by year. Awesome. I'll go through them and give you my thoughts. Thanks!! 
L3000.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #6,383 of 22,116
Quote:

Same here. Pleathers make me sweat and don't sound good. Velours are nice but so stiff. Will the J$ allow the pads to breathe like velours while giving more comfort?

J$'s use lambskin leather, so it absorbs perspiration much better than the pleathers could. Also damping is done quite well so the sound will be as open as the velours (if not moreso) with a touch better bass (because it's still leather) and staging/imaging.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #6,384 of 22,116
@ Merkil

I haven't gotten very far with your suggestions because I can't stop playing Sunrise at Palamos.  I've been missing out on 'trance' with the newer stuff I've been listening. Not to say the new stuff is crap but it's just different. You need to compile a spotify playlist with all of these older songs. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #6,385 of 22,116
Dangit, Jerg, you just crushed the spirit of a whole bunch of little boys on this thread. 
tongue.gif

Granted, I'm not a source of highest opinion, but I've also owned the HE-500, the HE-5LE, too.  However, none of them were appropriately fitted with the JOPIP (*), so my results might vary a bit. But, I will state that while I can't remember all the details at the time, but there was something that made me determine to keep the HE-400s.  I think it a lot may have had quite a bit to do with the "fun" factor more than anything.

(*) - JOPIP = Jerg-Off Pad Improvement Process. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6,386 of 22,116
Quote:
@ Merkil

I haven't gotten very far with your suggestions because I can't stop playing Sunrise at Palamos.  I've been missing out on 'trance' with the newer stuff I've been listening. Not to say the new stuff is crap but it's just different. You need to compile a spotify playlist with all of these older songs. 
wink_face.gif

That song is ridiculous…and a classic. I guarantee that if you find ppl that listened to trance back then and that still follow it now that they will tell you those were the best years of that genre. 1998/99-2005 maybe 2007. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #6,387 of 22,116
Thank you for this thread.  New to audiophilia, Head-fi, and the Hifiman HE-400, but thanks to the material in this thread, chose the HE-400 as my point of entry, and so far very pleased.  After 240 hours of continuous burn-in, am no moving through my archives, Miles Davis, Sakamoto Ryuichi, various male and female vocalists, Glenn Gould's "Goldberg Variations," various world music, and Bowie's new song.  The sound is dark, as many have noted, and the sub-bass rumbles nicely.  Am still testing the highs, and looking for a second pair to add to these for contrast.  I've seen a number of opinions here in this regard, at the moment considering the Shure 1840, which I can get for a good price and store discount in Tokyo--would this make sense?  Other thoughts for a companion pair to HE-400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back