**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #6,241 of 22,116
Just get the HE-400 and get some J$ Beyer pads, tames the brightness a little bit, bass is improved, lower and more volume to it. If you are very sensitive to it though I'm going to have to recommend you stay away, or try it and buy it. I really love these cans, resale is pretty high as well. You won't be out much for renting them, and if you like them, keep em :)

Ill try the J$ pads and report back. Should be ordering some this weekend.

I asked absolutely the same question a week ago when I thought I couldb't live with these trebles.  I've now 10 days after purchase and don't if its' the can or my ear whitch are burned in but I an now live with the trebles for the most part of my collection .  :wink:  give the he-400  a few days of listening before decide to keep them or not :wink:

I should precise that I use an hybrid Dac/amp ( Aune T1) and I found tubes which make he-400 sounds good to my ears :smile:

Oh thank god. This is good news. Is there a big difference in the treble spike with the Aune t1 compared to no amp? Im starting to wondering of the tube route is the way to go. I've always been interested on tube rolling just never had an opportunity to buy one. Hmm.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #6,242 of 22,116
I'd just try a little EQ by reducing the frequencies between 2k/4k and 8k as opposed to trying to do it via an amp selection. It's easier and cheaper, and accommodates any HP you may use on it.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #6,243 of 22,116
Quote:
Speaking of Larry Carlton, you guys listen to any Steely Dan on these? The HE-400's and SD (and Donald Fagan) were made for each other, the music is great, and the engineering/recording is top notch. Each album was recorded not only for the best fidelity but also for instrument separation. Larry played a lot on one of my favorite albums, Aja.

If you guys like Larry Carlton, you might check out the Pizzarelli's - Bucky is the Grandpa, John the son - I was just MOG'ing them.

I was lucky a several years back and was taken to a concert with Bucky, John, and grandson (can't remember his name now..) all played together.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #6,244 of 22,116
Dude, that's still a glorified EQ. It's altering the frequency aka equalizing. Not in a traditional sense, but it is what it is.

What I meant is that no standard headphone amp without some way to EQ (even with a nuke's worth of power) is gonna match the E17 in bass.

This is what I was replying to. Recommending any typical headphone amp is NOT going to beat what the E17 can do to the bass, AT ALL.

Even the SA-31 with 10watts at 40ohms can't touch the E17 with a +4 o higher. +4 is the sweet spot in terms of bass, IMHO. Anything more starts distorting the bass a bit too much for my own liking.

Have you personally tried a 2-channel piece of equipment from Yamaha with a pair of headphones?  
size]

I have (and still do) :) Works great to compensate for the fact that at lower volumes we dont hear highs and lows quite as well.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #6,246 of 22,116
haha reminds me of the ETRADE baby commercials, cute!

Bubba prefers pleather to velour? Or are those jergpad pleathers?

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #6,247 of 22,116
Speaking of Larry Carlton, you guys listen to any Steely Dan on these? The HE-400's and SD (and Donald Fagan) were made for each other, the music is great, and the engineering/recording is top notch. Each album was recorded not only for the best fidelity but also for instrument separation. Larry played a lot on one of my favorite albums, Aja.

If you guys like Larry Carlton, you might check out the Pizzarelli's - Bucky is the Grandpa, John the son - I was just MOG'ing them.

I was lucky a several years back and was taken to a concert with Bucky, John, and grandson (can't remember his name now..) all played together.

Wow, nice! I've been listening to a lot more jazz lately since getting my Hifiman's.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #6,248 of 22,116
Larry Carleton.  Yes, he's great.  Sadly, I missed one of his local concerts a few months back.  Arg!

However, tonight it's .... Blues guitarist Matt Schoefeld.  I hope he tears the joint up.  Ironically, it happens to be the same club as the one where the rapper Lupe Fiasco was pulled off the stage and thrown out the door during the pre-Inauguration concert this past weekend.  I'm thinking I might have to wear my bullet-proof underwear to the event.  
size]

size]

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #6,249 of 22,116

Yes Steely Dan is gorgeous on them.  I like Doobie Brothers too.

Me too (after Aja, McDonald and Baxter left SD to join the DBs)

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #6,250 of 22,116
Quote:
I have (and still do) :) Works great to compensate for the fact that at lower volumes we dont hear highs and lows quite as well.

Yes.  Very good.  It also means we don't have to kill our hearing in order to experience some decent sound at lower volumes.  I love the 3 Yammies that I have.  Probably better than any $800 headphone amp, IMO.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #6,251 of 22,116
Yes, I still have two (620 and 1020) which I love, and use in my office for my HP amp.
I sold Yamaha's in the 70s, great, neutral sound, and well built. My daughter still has my first one bought in 75 :)

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #6,254 of 22,116
Quote:
Larry Carleton.  Yes, he's great.  Sadly, I missed one of his local concerts a few months back.  Arg!

However, tonight it's .... Blues guitarist Matt Schoefeld.  I hope he tears the joint up.  Ironically, it happens to be the same club as the one where the rapper Lupe Fiasco was pulled off the stage and thrown out the door during the pre-Inauguration concert this past weekend.  I'm thinking I might have to wear my bullet-proof underwear to the event.  
size]

size]

I envy you. You get to see jazz and blues artists live.

Here in Brazil they barely play mpb and bossa anymore. It's all about those "funk"(brazilian) and pop sertanejo("ai se eu te pego" like, but even worse) ****.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #6,255 of 22,116
Quote:

I envy you. You get to see jazz and blues artists live.

Here in Brazil they barely play mpb and bossa anymore. It's all about those "funk"(brazilian) and pop sertanejo("ai se eu te pego" like, but even worse) ****.

Thanks.  I'm eyeing Peter White for early March.  Excellent British Jazz guitarist.  Blues at the Crossroads (Fabulous Thunderbirds (feat. JImmy Vaughn)),  Diana Krall (early Feb, but sold out), Fourplay, the Cowboy Junkies in March, the Carolina Chocolate Drops in March, Boney James, etc.  There are really too many to list.  All within a hours' drive from my house. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back