**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #4,637 of 22,116
Quote:

I wouldn't recommend that, over time dust and skin particles will accumulate and that probably wouldn't end well.

Easily solved by occasionally blowing some air at the drivers. What you are saying is only an issue if the headphone is not attended for for a long time despite heavy usage, simple solution is just prevent any accumulation from occurring.

I've had the HE400s open-grills (no dust cover) for like 4 months now, and about 1 month for the HE500. No issue at all.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #4,639 of 22,116
Quote:
Is it really safe to blow computer duster into the drivers though? I'd be afraid of damaging them.

Just use your lungs, lol.

If you really want to use computer compressed air, then start blowing it far away, and slowly approach it closer to the driver. The trick is to swoosh around with the air spray so that any dust that is hidden from 1 angle of air is still dislodged with a different angle.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #4,640 of 22,116
^^ You'd have to be careful. Short puffs...very gently. Do NOT hold the trigger down at full blast. Compressed air comes out ice cold and that wouldn't be good for the drivers. 
redface.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4,641 of 22,116
Quote:
Easily solved by occasionally blowing some air at the drivers. What you are saying is only an issue if the headphone is not attended for for a long time despite heavy usage, simple solution is just prevent any accumulation from occurring.

I've had the HE400s open-grills (no dust cover) for like 4 months now, and about 1 month for the HE500. No issue at all.

Blowing air wouldn't guarantee dislodging some badly placed hairs, they would be more tricky to get out.

Imo the trouble you could possibly cause by leaving them completely open isn't worth the little sound gains. But that's my opinion.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4,642 of 22,116
I ordered the J$ pad's guys. Nice that they are in Canada so shipping wasn't too terrible :) Can't wait to put on those comfy bad boys. Scoop em up guys while you can because they seem to be going fast at this pont. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #4,643 of 22,116
Quote:
One Question!! 
Is HE400 worth than DT990(250Ohm) when it comes to thing that it is almost double its price??
As in  <$400 range DT990 is also one of the best Headphones.

Here's a comparison I did. The HE-400 is worth the extra in my opinion.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4,644 of 22,116
Quote:

Blowing air wouldn't guarantee dislodging some badly placed hairs, they would be more tricky to get out.

Imo the trouble you could possibly cause by leaving them completely open isn't worth the little sound gains. But that's my opinion.

Eh I understand your point, to each his own I guess. I'm fairly comfortable fooling around with these Hifiman cans (earpad installation / grills / driver tightening etc all took me minimal time to figure out and I'm pretty handy messing with them) so things like dust/hair don't bother me, worse comes to worst I have some small tools if a hair really gets wedged but given how I use and store my cans, I doubt that'll happen.

It'd be a different story if I'm carrying these around a lot to different places and maybe outdoors though. So it comes down to the scenario of use really.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #4,646 of 22,116
Quote:
I haven't even tried the velours on the HE-400. The pleathers are just super comfortable for me.

I've tried velour, and I keep going back to pleather for this reason.

Plus I found sound quality really good with them, too. Though velours are no slouch either.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #4,647 of 22,116
Thanks for helping me clear my stock guys, as well as help me basically recover the money that I donated this December. 

As some of you know, I'm moving to Europe mid week next week, and it seems like I got huge interest from the HE-400
crowd. I never even knew that they worked...I guess they just use a pretty standard size. 

That being said, anyone willing to receive a box of them and ship them out to people who need them? I just don't want 
people to have missed me by a day, and not be able to get them for a year...at least....

Whoever does this, can have as many sets as they need for their headphones. 3, 4 sets, all good. Within reason is
fine with me. 

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #4,648 of 22,116
Quote:

You're a victim if they dumped the debt onto you without your knowledge.

You're a martyr if they dumped the debt onto you with your knowledge. 
wink.gif

I was still living with them and jobless, and they wanted me to put the business in my name. I said sure. A year after the business closed, the state levied my paychecks due to the debt. It was the first I heard of any debt (in sales tax). I think it's a little of both, because I was aware of the business, but put trust in my parents. But, again, I was living with them still and was eager to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back