**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #3,346 of 22,116
I was quite the whining b**** about people nog performing the "paper mod" so ofcourse I tried it.

The sound became warmer, but it lost detail and cymbals became less, well, awesome.

So that's a no on the paper mod, I might try again with even thinner paper. This time I used a single layer of a tissue, that consisted of four layers.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,347 of 22,116
Again, 100% positive effects of burn in.
Ridiculous.
Where's the part where this 'burn-in' negatively affected the sound?
I don't have time for this mythological nonsense.
Enjoy your gear, not your wishful thinking.

I'd have to agree with you. I've NEVER read anyone say the sound got worse. You would think at some point you'd hear someone say the sound got too flabby or uncontrolled or the clarity of the highs disappeared or something.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #3,348 of 22,116
Quote:
Where's the part where this 'burn-in' negatively affected the sound?
I don't have time for this mythological nonsense.
Enjoy your gear, not your wishful thinking.

I'm assuming that you're responding to my post with the link to the GR-Research site, right?  If that's the case, you have to realize that Danny Richie had nothing to gain in doing the testing and the post that he made.  This issue of burn-in vs. non burn-in has been going on for quite some time, which is why he went ahead, performed the tests, and posted the results.

As to burn-in negatively affecting the sound?  Well, I'm a victim of that.  This just happened last week with the AKG K167 Tiesto.  Out of the box, I loved the sound.  People talke about the sound improving over time.  Well, after a sufficient amount of time logged - even keeping the headphones plugged in while I wasn't at home, the sound just plain sucked at the end of the week.  The highs went to the level of becoming more piercing to the point of being unbearable.  The bass was still good on the headphones, but the highs just killed all of the fun.

I can understand your post regarding becoming a bit frustrated when people keep asking about burn-in.  Yet, don't take it personally.  We all have the option of ignoring posts.  If it affects you to the point of getting so upset, then consider an anger management class. 
eek.gif

tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3,349 of 22,116
Lol, I'm not angry. I just inwardly laugh at the countless burn in BS spewed here (on Head-fi).

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #3,350 of 22,116
Quote:
Okay,
How do these compare to the HE-6? I sold my HE-6 a while back and I'm missing proper planars (I have modded T50RPs, but I prefer open back headphones). The one flaw I had with the HE-6 were that they were way too bright and had too much sibliance for my liking, even EQed you couldn't hide the sibilance.

I read your review of the HE-6 compared to the modded fostex T50RPs.  What I may have missed is what amp/dac you used during the comparison.  The only thing I saw was a transportable amp of some kind.  

The HE-6 probably picked it's teeth with that amp.  That's why they sounded bright with sibliance.  The HE-6 is none of that.  But your choice of amp will play a very important part of what you hear with the HE-6.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3,351 of 22,116
Yes, all U.S dealers had any affected inventory switched out a couple of months ago. Drew at Moon Audio has been on top of this and made sure that he had the current and correct version.
Let us know what you think when you get them in and have a listen.
Peter

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm really looking forward to these cans and will post my impressions in the forum as soon as I get them.

Quote:

1) No, cant help there.
2) Should be. As far as i know full size cans are better almost always in a similar price range (except maybe custom made IEMs?).
The HE-400 sound Significantly better than my HD 380, and those sounded Significantly better than my previous IEMs (CX-300).
Now i dont know how much better the IE8 are than the CX-300, so keep that in mind.

Those are good news, hopefully there won't be any buyer's remorse with these 
L3000.gif

Having owned the IE8 in the past, I can confirm that the HE400 is much better and you'll certainly notice the upgrade. The IE8 has plenty of bass with an accentuated mid-bass, but the HE400 has a far more textured bass that extends deeper. The HE400 also much better detail retrieval and obviously sound stage is no comparison, despite the IE8 having a larger than average sound stage for an IEM. 

Great, now I'm even more impatient to get my hands on the HE-400. I always enjoyed the IE8's spacious sound and instrument separation but the mids always felt quite recessed/distant though. I hope that the "upper mids recession" that everyone is talking about is not nearly as marked as the one in the IE8's.

Cheers!

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3,352 of 22,116
So after listening to these babies for three hours straight:

Also about the grill mod: I ripped of the mesh of the stock grills and placed the grills back on the headphone. This actually sounds the same as having no grills on to me.

Also: SWEET JEZUS I LOVE THESE HEADPHONES

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3,353 of 22,116
Quote:
So after listening to these babies for three hours straight:

Also about the grill mod: I ripped of the mesh of the stock grills and placed the grills back on the headphone. This actually sounds the same as having no grills on to me.

Also: SWEET JEZUS I LOVE THESE HEADPHONES

Haha cute picture!

I have no idea why my HE-500's are more comfortable than the HE-400 when, obviously, the second being lighter. apparently the HE-500 cushion on mine are a tad thicker and the clamping force isn't as strong as the HE-400's are.

Funny how i got the HE-500 after so the HE-400 should of been worn in, but this isn't the case.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3,355 of 22,116
Quote:
BTW special announcement - I ordered an ODAC today!

Not sure it was worth the money, but then I am a sucker.
wink.gif

I am hoping it will make some audible difference or lower my noise floor a tad.

Should be worth the money, I was really close to buying one. I think Matt uses an ODAC with the Lyr if I'm not mistaken.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3,356 of 22,116
Quote:
You can reduce the clamping force on the HE-400s quite easily by just stretching out the headband!

I did get the latest version, this should be the rev 4, they might improved some stuff on comfort?

I always get scared of damaging it :[ what if it snaps!? (brainwork)
There's a Rev 4?! holy schiit, how many times are they going have a new revision.
What does the never revision offer?

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,357 of 22,116
Quote:
You can reduce the clamping force on the HE-400s quite easily by just stretching out the headband!

I did get the latest version, this should be the rev 4, they might improved some stuff on comfort?

Rev4 = rev2 in actuality, no need to confuse people. Anyway Hifiman hasn't changed anything with their headphone line design in over a year, the comfort variation between users are mostly due to different headband spring-steel flexibility. For some unknown reason some Hifiman cans are shipped with looser headband (less clamp, better comfort) while other ones are much more rigid/tighter (huge clamp). 

Of course all you need to do if you receive a tight headband is to just flex it a bit. Some people are afraid to do that to something new they spent $400 / 700 / 1200 on though.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,358 of 22,116
Quote:
Rev4 = rev2 in actuality, no need to confuse people. Anyway Hifiman hasn't changed anything with their headphone line design in over a year, the comfort variation between users are mostly due to different headband spring-steel flexibility. For some unknown reason some Hifiman cans are shipped with looser headband (less clamp, better comfort) while other ones are much more rigid/tighter (huge clamp). 

Of course all you need to do if you receive a tight headband is to just flex it a bit. Some people are afraid to do that to something new they spent $400 / 700 / 1200 on though.

I had to wait quite some time before the distributor got this new version, it really is rev 4. Which really is rev 2 
tongue.gif

I have to say, it felt wrong to see my HE-400 spread like a ruler. But it was worth it.

But I really am so pleased with this headphone, I don't think I ever want another one. Just maybe an amp upgrade 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,359 of 22,116
I'd have to agree with you. I've NEVER read anyone say the sound got worse. You would think at some point you'd hear someone say the sound got too flabby or uncontrolled or the clarity of the highs disappeared or something.

The metrum octave is known for loosing some dynamics and PRaT over time. Currawong noticed it and said his became "boring". I noticed this with my Quad too (I don't find it boring though)

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #3,360 of 22,116
Okay,
How do these compare to the HE-6? I sold my HE-6 a while back and I'm missing proper planars (I have modded T50RPs, but I prefer open back headphones). The one flaw I had with the HE-6 were that they were way too bright and had too much sibliance for my liking, even EQed you couldn't hide the sibilance.

A different amp (EF-6?) or the HE-500 might be what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back