**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 16, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #18,991 of 22,116
  Regarding the large amount of sound leakage with the HE-400's, has anyone out there done any mods to significantly reduce this leakage?  Or does the design of the HE-400 driver require this level of openness to sound good, meaning, don't bother and look elsewhere for other models.  My guess is that sound leakage could be physically reduced with modification but that the audio quality would then, in turn, suck pretty bad.  

If you want isolation, I would suggest that you don't buy an open headphone.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #18,992 of 22,116
Yeah....when you put them on before you start playing music....it sounds like you have nothing covering your ears at all. Once the music starts they do great at blocking outside noise from getting in but they put out a lot of sound as well.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #18,993 of 22,116
Yeah....when you put them on before you start playing music....it sounds like you have nothing covering your ears at all. Once the music starts they do great at blocking outside noise from getting in but they put out a lot of sound as well.

Yep. Learned that the hard way. Had a Jpop song playing while I was in teamspeak. A minute later I get asked if there is a little girl in my room. Quite awkward.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #18,998 of 22,116
My HE400s offer ZERO isolation and MAXIMUM sound leakage!  Even hovering you hand a few inches from the driver affexts the sound quality adversely.  Yes, they need to be that open.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #19,001 of 22,116

What pads are you using?

The velour pads from Hifiman

Well I haven't used the velours but I know the pleathers were not comfortable for me, Focus Pads fixed that. I've heard the velours are pretty comfy as well though. I'd just try lightly adjusting the metal band to reduce some clamping force as that seems to be what could cause your discomfort.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #19,002 of 22,116
So after wearing these headphones for the past day and half, I'm noticing what feels like pressure on the left side that is causing discomfort in my cheek and jaw. Any want to fix this?

For me, both the pleather and velour pads caused some jaw discomfort after extended listening. The FocusPad-A has alleviated most all of that for me. It's an angled pad, which better distributes pressure all around the ear.

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #19,003 of 22,116
So, I got my HE-400 about 2 hours ago, and of course, I've been listening to them. The first song that I played with them was ' I See Fire' by Ed Sheeran, and I was smiling like an idiot during the whole song. I'm really liking them so far. Oh, and I got the Rev 2 or 4, I was worried they would be the 3rd, since I bought them used. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #19,004 of 22,116

For me, both the pleather and velour pads caused some jaw discomfort after extended listening. The FocusPad-A has alleviated most all of that for me. It's an angled pad, which better distributes pressure all around the ear.

I have the Focus-A pads, and while they are initially more comfortable feeling and a lot softer, I eventually feel a lot more pressure on my head than with the pleathers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back