**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 13, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #18,916 of 22,116

Nope. The first revisions have the black driver support/grill thing, which can be checked once you get the pads off. The proper revisions are the second and fourth ones which have a white translucent-ish coloured support.

I checked at the store before purchase and mine are the white ones. As to whether it is exactly revision 2 or 4 I am not sure but they are both supposed to be sonically identical so it doesn't matter. That being said, they informed me it has only been used as a demo unit for 6 months so they should be 4 I guess? Of course they could have told me a shorter time to get me to buy, but it is literally spotless and scratch-free so it can't have been out for too long.

tl;dr I got the white driver support ones so either revision 2 or 4.

I see. Lucky! I hope the ones I get are the 2nd or 4th ones.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #18,919 of 22,116
All HE-400s sold as new in 2013 will be revision 4, so don't worry too much about it. Easy to do the check as well :) Take off the earpads & if the driver covering is white, you have the newest revision.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #18,920 of 22,116
X2 is here! Unboxing at this moment....

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #18,921 of 22,116
Son of a bitc............this is going to be a hard decision.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #18,923 of 22,116
  Son of a bitc............this is going to be a hard decision.

hahaha. they are both great headphones so you cant go wrong with either one. just pick whichever one you're feeling more  & let us kno ur impressions :)

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #18,924 of 22,116
Jan 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #18,925 of 22,116
I'm trying to figure them out. Only a few songs on the Philips so it's going to take some time. That and for what it's worth...if you believe in burn-in, I've read that they take 10ish hours before they get really good so I'm going to give them that just for the sake of being fair before passing final judgement, but so far with zero hours...they are pretty dang good.

But right off the bat my initial impression is that the HE-400 sound is V shaped with bass and treble being the focus. The X2 seems to have a bass/mid focus with slight roll off in the treble but with very little loss in detail.

Comfort, the X2 is very comfy. Lighter weight, velour earpads, nice suspension system.

Build quality is a toss up. The X2 is a lot of metal and exudes quality. The HE-400 is heavy and with metal at all the right spots...gives a tank like build feel.

Style is X2 hands down. IMO it is a much nicer looking headphone.

And I really like the cable connection of the X2. It's single sided which I like. Nothing to get twisted or tangled. The cable is a very light flexible cloth covered cable. And it's 3.5mm on each end so recabling would be super easy if you want to mess with different materials or just make a new shorter cable or for adding a cable with a 1/4" plug which is what I'd do if I keep these.

The X2 is also a lot easier to power. On my receiver I get plenty of volume at -30dB where I have to push it to -20 to -15dB with the HE-400 to get a decent volume. The X2 is more sibilant at higher volume though...sometimes painfully. And I say that as a lover of all things Grado. Hoping that tames a little with that recommended burn-in. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #18,926 of 22,116
  I'm trying to figure them out. Only a few songs on the Philips so it's going to take some time. That and for what it's worth...if you believe in burn-in, I've read that they take 10ish hours before they get really good so I'm going to give them that just for the sake of being fair before passing final judgement, but so far with zero hours...they are pretty dang good.

But right off the bat my initial impression is that the HE-400 sound is V shaped with bass and treble being the focus. The X2 seems to have a bass/mid focus with slight roll off in the treble but with very little loss in detail.

Comfort, the X2 is very comfy. Light weight, velour earpads, nice suspension system.

Build quality is a toss up. The X2 is a lot of metal and exudes quality. The HE-400 is heavy and with metal at all the right spots...gives a tank like build feel.

Style is X2 hands down. IMO it is a much nicer looking headphone.

And I really like the cable connection of the X2. It's single sided which I like. Nothing to get twisted or tangled. The cable is a very light flexible cloth covered cable. And it's 3.5mm on each end so recabling would be super easy if you want to mess with different materials or just make a new shorter cable or for adding a cable with a 1/4" plug which is what I'd do if I keep these.

The X2 is also a lot easier to power. On my receiver I get plenty of volume at -30dB where I have to push it to -20 to -15dB with the HE-400 to get a decent volume.

Kinda expected the X2 to win the comfort and style awards. I got a pair of HE-400 coming for 220. If I don't like them I can probably sell them off without much loss.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #18,927 of 22,116
That's a good price for sure. I paid $260 shipped for mine but I got them from a store but they are still used. Not sure to what extent. They look new so I don't know. I really like them (HE-400). Right now it's a very tough call. I also need to keep in mind that I'm still using the pleather pads on the 400 and the overwhelming consensus is that velour is a much better option so there's even room for improvement with the 400. The way the pads attach to the X2, I don't see any easy pad rolling options unless there's something offered on the market already.

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #18,930 of 22,116
Dang it ArmAndHammer the HE-400s are in Chicago. I live in Georgia. Probably won't get either one for a couple of days.

EDIT:Just saw your impressions. Can't wait for more when the X2s are burned in.

Mine are also in Illinois, but I live in Vegas  
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back