**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 4, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #18,781 of 22,116

Yes of course, the diminishing returns is strong. Personally, when I first bought my first audiophile headphones, the ah-m50 and later on the dt990, I was amazed. Wen  I bought the he-400 and hd650, the jump wasn't even big for me, it more subtle differences.

I could start all over again with the m50 and call it a day and stop going up the ladder. I wish I just stopped listening to the headphones, ad just enjoyed the music. I'll probably stop with the the he-400s and stop obsessing so much.

Anyways, I was just curious why the he-500 was priced so much higher.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #18,782 of 22,116
... Anyways, I was just curious why the he-500 was priced so much higher.

They have the same drivers as the HE-6 (to my knowledge someone correct my mistake :D ) so i guess that costs some extra bling

E: Completely not related but i got a lake people g103 amp for my he-400s (upgrade to little dot mk 2) and I'm really liking it. Bought the amp because power-wise it could drive a He-6.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #18,783 of 22,116
Hi again folks!

I want to improve a little de sound of muy cans (especially the sibilance problemas), I've tried de Toilet paper mod but it reduces the output dB a little and I dont hace a ver y powerfull amp, so I will try other pads.

I already hace the velours and pleathers (I preffer velours) and I'm thinking to buy Focuspads. My question is where (europe here), and wich ones forma the sibilance issue?

Thanks and cheers :)

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #18,784 of 22,116
Guys, these headphones hurt my ears when listening loudly, my hd650 doesnt get ear piercing at extremely loud volume, but as soon as you increase the volume slightly on the he-400's, the pain gets stronger.

I want to hear the awesome bass these headphones are famous for, but Im pretty much forced to listen to low volume because of the treble hurting my ears. What can I do?

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #18,787 of 22,116
Yes of course, the diminishing returns is strong. Personally, when I first bought my first audiophile headphones, the ah-m50 and later on the dt990, I was amazed. Wen  I bought the he-400 and hd650, the jump wasn't even big for me, it more subtle differences.

I could start all over again with the m50 and call it a day and stop going up the ladder. I wish I just stopped listening to the headphones, ad just enjoyed the music. I'll probably stop with the the he-400s and stop obsessing so much.

Anyways, I was just curious why the he-500 was priced so much higher.

HE500 is a much, much, much better headphone and, quite frankly, a steal at it's price. Removing the pad, it's easy to see why it is much more expensive. The all-metal magnetic structure dwarfs what you see in the HE400. Properly modded, the HE500 will go toe-to-toe with the HD800s, a headphone that sells for 3x the price, and win on many fronts.

Sound-wise HE500 is a little like an HD650 without the veiled treble... Though it feels like there is more speed and clarity throughout the entire fequency range on the HE500. Both headphones present the music with a lush sense of euphony, but when you compare the two, it is like the HE500 is the star athlete older brother and the HD650 is the chubby younger brother trying to keep up.

Comparing to the HE400 is harder. The HE500 wins on all the technicalities: better soundstage, layering, imaging, etc. Bass is very natural and weighty on both, though the HE500 reaches a bit deeper into the lowest subbass. The HE500's midrange absolutely smokes the HE400's... Not even close. The peaks and valleys are gone. It's very transparent, natural and euphonic. The treble is much softer and well balanced, and sibilance is rare and almost non-existant with the right pads and mods. Overall, HE500 feels like a bigger sound, like you're swimming in the music. IMO, it's definitely worth the extra cash.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #18,788 of 22,116
Don't be silly, It seems like you're quite biased there in your post. There's no way its "much, much, much better". Thats quite the statement, because Ive never seen anyone write that comparing the two. I don't think the he-400 is much better than the ath-m50, which costs 1/4 less in my country, even though the he-400 is obviously technically better.

All the reviews I have read never states the he-500 and 400 is worlds apart, its just different flavour. Even the people at hifiman states this. The 500 doesn't do what the 400 does better, and vice versa.  Reviewers share a common opinion. You use the 500 to relax and chill, and the 400 if you want something energetic and more aggressive. 

If I liked a warm and lush headphone, and if you told me the hd800 and he-6 is way better and more technically advanced than the he500, I wouldn't want them, because I don't care about technical capabilities because  I wanted a warm and lush headphone, and the he.500 fits my taste more than the other 2. Its the same with the he-400 and 500.  Funny enough, I have seen people running away from the hd800 because of the treble, but someone else may love it.

Moral of the story is, its all subjective.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #18,789 of 22,116
Don't be silly, It seems like you're quite biased there in your post. There's no way its "much, much, much better". Thats quite the statement, because Ive never seen anyone write that comparing the two. I don't think the he-400 is much better than the ath-m50, which costs 1/4 less in my country, even though the he-400 is obviously technically better.

All the reviews I have read never states the he-500 and 400 is worlds apart, its just different flavour. Even the people at hifiman states this. The 500 doesn't do what the 400 does better, and vice versa.  Reviewers share a common opinion. You use the 500 to relax and chill, and the 400 if you want something energetic and more aggressive. 

If I liked a warm and lush headphone, and if you told me the hd800 and he-6 is way better and more technically advanced than the he500, I wouldn't want them, because I don't care about technical capabilities because  I wanted a warm and lush headphone, and the he.500 fits my taste more than the other 2. Its the same with the he-400 and 500.  Funny enough, I have seen people running away from the hd800 because of the treble, but someone else may love it.

Moral of the story is, its all subjective.

What would I be biased about? I own both headphones. They're both very good. I didn't crap all over the HE400.

Sounds like you've already formed an opinion on the HE500 without actually trying the headphone. If you're so sure, what are you asking us for?

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #18,790 of 22,116
Guys, these headphones hurt my ears when listening loudly, my hd650 doesnt get ear piercing at extremely loud volume, but as soon as you increase the volume slightly on the he-400's, the pain gets stronger.

I want to hear the awesome bass these headphones are famous for, but Im pretty much forced to listen to low volume because of the treble hurting my ears. What can I do?

Have you tried to eq them down at all? I have mine tamed down 1.5 db  at the 8000hz level helps with the treble for for me.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #18,791 of 22,116
I can present my newest EQ settings. (velour pads, nuforce udac)
datwcsgv.png

Am I the only one with this strange 2200-2300Hz raise and the odd 8100Hz peak?
The first issue could explain the problems with female voices.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #18,793 of 22,116
The standard foobar EQ has not enaugh options.
Thats why I use the foobar VST adapter: http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/VST_adapter
and Electri-Q Equalizer (posihfopit edition): http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/eqs-filters/electri-q/
(The black dots are used to modify the line.)
For me this is the best way because I already need the VST adapter for my crossfeed plugin (TB Isone).
In this combination the presets for VST plugins are stored as fxp files.
Here is mine: http://en.file-upload.net/download-10091101/He-400.fxp.html

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #18,795 of 22,116
The goal is a neutral frequency response. I started when I noticed that the treble is annoying and when I was not satisfied with the changes
(better treble, but having a sound that is kind of dull ) I started to use a sinus generator and check the loudness of all frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back