**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #16,952 of 22,116
I just picked up a Schiit Lyr and Modi. Sound was harsh with the highs and bass anemic coming from my MacBook Pro, so I rolled some JJ E88CC tubes. Instantly improved the sound: huge soundstage, bright, but not harsh highs, and controlled bass. I can't wait to burn in these tubes more!

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #16,956 of 22,116
Just got a pair of HE-400's (used from the board), been trying them out today with various songs. I have to say, I'm not yet an experienced Audiophile, and this is my first Ortho, but it's certainly a unique, enlightening experience. They seem to have a sizzle / sparkle quality to them. With certain songs it really makes for an entirely new listening experience. One of my favorite albums, Swing The Heartache by Bauhaus sounds new and incredible. 

Of course, this has me wondering, these being the low-end of HiFiMAN's ortho line, how much better does it get from here? What is it like to step up from the 400 to 500, or beyond that to the HE-6? I'm omitting the new models since I don't think there's a good consensus on those yet. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #16,957 of 22,116
I've heard the HE500 and HE6 so to answer your question, both headphones are a clear step up. Both had better detail better sound stage and deeper bass. If I had to choose I'd pick the HE 500 purely on the fact that they're easier to drive with a good amp.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #16,960 of 22,116
Has anybody swapped out the cables for the headphones? If so, how did the sound change?

I'd do the jerg mods (grills/earpads) first and EQ (if that is not unholy to you) if you are looking to fix the 400 "known issues". Not sure if you know the 400i is coming out ? 400's + new cables may run you the same price as the 400i. No real updated news on the 400i yet but they are soon to be released.

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #16,961 of 22,116
I purchased an upgrade cable from CablePro that with shipping cost $150. Now that might seem like a lot pf money considering the HE-400s were only $299. But after about 100 hours of break in the overall improvement was nothing short of remarkable. One of the reasons I spent so much that's what it took to make an improvement over the stock cable which is the best quality stock cable I've ever used.

It's up to you whether you want to spend the extra $$$. I'll finish by saying I'm very pleased with my cable upgrade.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #16,962 of 22,116
I'd do the jerg mods (grills/earpads) first and EQ (if that is not unholy to you) if you are looking to fix the 400 "known issues". 

+1, though I'd put EQ above jergmods by a hair. Cable upgrades are a waste of money IMO, especially if you don't try EQ and jergmods first.

Think about it--there are so many parts to the signal chain. The tiny little wires inside the headphone are soldered to the SMC connectors, the SMC connectors are soldered to your headphone cable, the headphone cable is soldered to your headphone jack, there is a mechanical connection between your headphone jack and the amp's socket, the amp's headphone socket is soldered to a whole bunch of circuit boards with tiny PCB traces, resistor leads, capacitor leads, etc, etc. Changing one piece of wire in that whole chain without touching the rest isn't going to make any difference. 

I built a custom speaker tap adapter that uses $0.50 alligator clips from Mouser and multiple screw connectors. It sounds perfectly transparent, because it conducts electricity. Just look at the SMC connectors on the Hifiman headphones and ask yourself how expensive wire is going to make any difference when those things are the weakest link. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #16,963 of 22,116
  I purchased an upgrade cable from CablePro that with shipping cost $150. Now that might seem like a lot pf money considering the HE-400s were only $299. But after about 100 hours of break in the overall improvement was nothing short of remarkable. One of the reasons I spent so much that's what it took to make an improvement over the stock cable which is the best quality stock cable I've ever used.

It's up to you whether you want to spend the extra $$$. I'll finish by saying I'm very pleased with my cable upgrade.

How do you know that the changes to the sound were due to the cable and not the driver burn-in.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #16,964 of 22,116
I Had the headphones for almost 3 weeks before purchasing the cable. The headphones were pretty much broken in using the stock cable. Look I'm not saying the cable upgrade made these headphone sound like the HE-500s or  Audez. What I a saying is for me they're were worth the money. High-end cable issues are what make non-audiophiles roll their eyes and make out out the be obsessive money wasting fools. Even today they remain controversial. Most cable manufactures offer money back guarantees so there's really not risk in auditioning the products. Do you know Transparent Audio make speaker cables that cost $40,000? That's 40 large! When these cables are ordered the whole plant shuts down and it can still take up to a week to finish the order. Wilson Audio and Rockport Technologies make speakers that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and both companies recommend Transparent cables. 

My point is cables are big time **** and improve the sound of most components. Of course there are rip-offs out there as well.

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #16,965 of 22,116
Are you saying the audiophiles who have been purchasing expensive high-end cables for years are all being bamboozed and ripped off? Look man, I going with what my ears tell me. Of course there are a lot of solder joints. It comes down to the quality of the solder and the skill of the technician. As far as boards are concerned it comes down to the materials and the quality of the components. Pass Audio Labs reject the vast amount of output transistors. Their circuit boards have to the best quality available. This process is very painstaking and expensive which I why their amps cost thousands of dollars. And that's why they sound so incredible. Boulder amps cost over $100,000 and the build and sound quality are nothing short of amazing. If you have a high-end audio shop, put on some nice clothes and audition some of these products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back