**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 2, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #16,562 of 22,116

I'm using the VST wrapper, the copy of posihfopit I have keeps crashing. Can you post up your copy? I keep getting a range check error

Here is the latest and final version, I think it includes the posihfopit version in the installer.

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/vst-plugins/eqs-filters/electri-q/

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #16,565 of 22,116

I've not owned the HD-650s myself, but I have heard quite a few Sennheisers so I 'get' much of the appeal (comfort in fit and also sound quality). To me, however, most Senn's I've owned lack the speed and attack that really help get my attention and blood going. They were better for me as "background" phones and less successful when I really started listening critically and trying to search through the layers of sound. Also, while the midrange is great, they always trade off quite a bit of bass and treble energy for the sake of low-fatigue. Sometimes I just wanted more at both ends if you know what I mean! Anyway, the 650s have been out forever, and the main reason I've skipped them is that I think there are more interesting phones out for $500 these days.
biggrin.gif

A 650 properly amped is more "chill inducing" then anything I have heard. No need to get angry, but until you have heard them on a well matched amp do not assume, I know I did and I was wrong.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond to my impressions on the 400 and 650. It's interesting to see what speaker systems you are listening to. I run Tannoy System 10 DMT II's thru a Hafler power amp for my 'desktop' system. Yes, it's huge overkill. I came from a recording studio background so I'm pretty much all about near and midfield professional driver matched monitors. My other speakers that I use are my yamaha MSP10's. I love these as well. I also have a pair of Mackie HR624's that are well, not getting much use, although they are decent enough.

I love David Haflers amps/preamps, good stuff!

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #16,566 of 22,116
  A 650 properly amped is more "chill inducing" then anything I have heard. No need to get angry, but until you have heard them on a well matched amp do not assume

I'll just assume you are right about my assumptions.
rolleyes.gif
In all seriousness though, I will demo them if I ever get the chance (or buy them if I can find them cheap), but I am more interested in exploring other brands at the moment. I want to downsize / simplify / and focus on value.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond to my impressions on the 400 and 650. It's interesting to see what speaker systems you are listening to. I run Tannoy System 10 DMT II's thru a Hafler power amp for my 'desktop' system. Yes, it's huge overkill. I came from a recording studio background so I'm pretty much all about near and midfield professional driver matched monitors. My other speakers that I use are my yamaha MSP10's. I love these as well. I also have a pair of Mackie HR624's that are well, not getting much use, although they are decent enough.

I'm no expert but the Tannoy's with their dual concentric drivers hit the sweet spot for me for imaging. I'm a believer in the system. Here's a pic. So, they are the standard by which I'm comparing headphones. I know, it's kind of pointless to compare speaker experience with headphones, but I do. These are the ones I lust for being another poor somewhat audiophile - Tannoy Prestige Series

I mostly agree with you on the 400's. They are somewhat fun. They have moments where I'm very impressed but then sometimes not at all! I'm about 45 hours into 'burn in'. Maybe they will change some more?

Oh, and about the HD650. I've listened to a lot of Sennheisers and they do sound better. For example I owned the HD598 and never ever thought it was that great. I much prefer the Sony MA900 over that one. The 650 is very musical to me. You'll probably end up with a pair some day haha. Everyone does! You can't escape them.:) They are certainly not the most accurate but I'm feeling more and more they are musical.

Anyway, have the 400's on now..:p

So much pressure to get some HD 650s lol. We'll see. "Musical" is usually a good descriptor but my next set of phones are probably focal spirit pros. Time to experience a superior "closed" phone and $350 MIGHT be a good deal.

Your desktop system IS overkill. Then again so is mine - the pioneers are running off a Class D amp which turned out to be rather awesome - totally black, and great SQ. For once going "cheap" on something didn't mean giving up quality. I've got about 170-200 RMS maybe 2 feet from my ears. The speakers work best at a minimum 3-6 feet probably, but as I wrote, image very well. So, sound appears to pour from my monitor and not the sides at only 1-2 feet away. Admittedly, I still have some "expectation bias" to work off - that 4 inch woofer just CAN'T be good - right? But it takes a beating and has a good roll off - they reach their limits and start compressing but I've not heard distortion or over-excursion. The sub blends very well and 'disappears', and if you don't push it too hard it is well behaved and won't chuff. It can't compare to my JL Microsub (the amazing ported sub that sounds sealed 90% of the time), but as far as 8's go, it impresses.
biggrin.gif

Mind you, I shopped for a decent 2.1 computer setup for awhile - in the $100-200 range. For about $300, this system destroys any of the computer 2.1s - if you can spare the space. It actually sounded damn good in the big living room too - filling it right up with good sound. Basically, my current dream system is 3 of the pioneer towers, 1 HSU 10 or 2 Pioneer subs, and a pair or two of the bookshelves and a Yamaha receiver. Other than missing out on concert level SPLs, such a system would no doubt be a fantastic music / movie system with few flaws @ about $1,000.

Option two is to finish my JBL system. I have some JBL Studio 8-inch three way book shelves (S38 series II) and the center channel in my brother's living room. They are amazing movie speakers, but less optimal for music. They have that JBL "tight" bass (sometimes lacking, sometimes perfect, sometimes "do I have a sub in here?"), and an airy midrange. But they are forward at high volume, losing some composure, and they have a very narrow and hard to find sweet spot (with exception of the center which has great dispersion). Then again the sweet spot is indeed sweet. I've thought about getting a solid 10-12 inch sub to pair with them and find some used Studio 6 inchers to hang on the wall but the cost is pretty high to finish the system vs. just going all in on Pioneer. The JBLs create a very convincing "Cinema" sound and handle Blu-Rays extremely well. Hands down, for movies, they kick all kinds of ass. They crank and handle the HD content in a way the pioneers just can't and work better in a larger room. Decisions decisions . . .

I figure monitors would be a lot more accurate and "in their element" on a desk, but they were too expensive and I wanted a full-range performance with a sub (and too much power if possible). But I am not surprised you like Concentric - I've tried that in cars and the imaging / blending is always better. But in a car, the placement sucks so you end up with better imaging / worse staging. Eventually, I am going to relocate my desk, and use stands to get the pioneers about 6 feet from my ears, toed in to the desk. The golden triangle ought to let me get the best response, widest stage, and retain solid imaging.

Ah audio. It never ends.
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #16,567 of 22,116
  Basically, my current dream system is 3 of the pioneer towers, 1 HSU 10 or 2 Pioneer subs, and a pair or two of the bookshelves and a Yamaha receiver.

Yamaha RX-659's can be found on E-bay for under 100 dollars, Burr-brown DAC in them , awesome features, just no HDMI . I have owned multiple Yamaha's and none sound as good as the mentioned. I highly recommend it unless you want HDMI.  I have an newer RX-A3000 and it does not sound as good.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #16,568 of 22,116
  Yamaha RX-659's can be found on E-bay for under 100 dollars, Burr-brown DAC in them , awesome features, just no HDMI . I have owned multiple Yamaha's and none sound as good as the mentioned. I highly recommend it unless you want HDMI.  I have an newer RX-A3000 and it does not sound as good.

I was leaning toward the current RX-V375 as HDMI is a must and it can be had for $200. It isn't clear that spending more gets a better amp section until you are way up the price ladder and in any event, the added power wouldn't typically be a noticeable SPL gain (literally everything I can afford is somewhere in the 50-70 watt range, realistically). Then again Pioneer is all class D at this point, I think, and the Sony's seem to be better than I remember. But spending more seems to be about features these days, and not much else. Frankly a good 5 channel component amp and a surround decoder/receiver is all I really care to have at this point but the specs game makes it hard to guess where the value is (Emotiva and Outlaw amps start at $400-$700, worth every penny, but too much). I have experimented with wi-fi and "app" integration in a lot of current consumer products and they generally are not worth it. Or at least, they don't match the speed and convenience of just using a laptop as a media / streaming server.

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #16,570 of 22,116
  A 650 properly amped is more "chill inducing" then anything I have heard. No need to get angry, but until you have heard them on a well matched amp do not assume, I know I did and I was wrong.
I love David Haflers amps/preamps, good stuff!

As I carefully consider this statement with all the gear and hp's that I've heard...I agree (with the possible exception of the Stax on a blue Hawaii amp and a 5k dac). 

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #16,573 of 22,116
I've been thinking about it for months, and I'm still torn...  what are people's thoughts on portable amplification that pairs well with the 400?

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #16,574 of 22,116
It's really not tough to amp this hp. I think that that it sound good from a fiio e17 or x3 if you want an all in one solution. There are lot's of other choices of course. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #16,575 of 22,116
For portability I've been either using a rockbox sansa + e6 combo, or a iphone 3gs + godap 3 combo, and I want to try going further.  I'm not sure if I want to do the x3, give the HM-700 a try, or just go with a e12 and know it'll be overkill for the task, but might carry a little bit of futureproofing too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back