**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 26, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #16,517 of 22,116
My velour earpads came today; they improve the sound and comfort a lot for just $10!

Bass extension is really good for jazz. The double-bass and baritone sax are clean and loud on John Abercrombie's "November". On Tuesday Afternoon, the low bass melody and shimmering cymbals are oh-so-tasty together. 

"Busy" jazz is a bit sloppy on these, though. I don't have a verdict yet on the midrange, but I'm not wild about it. I have a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeters coming in April, and I hope that will be my new reference for what sounds "right". 

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #16,518 of 22,116
  My velour earpads came today; they improve the sound and comfort a lot for just $10!

Bass extension is really good for jazz. The double-bass and baritone sax are clean and loud on John Abercrombie's "November". On Tuesday Afternoon, the low bass melody and shimmering cymbals are oh-so-tasty together. 

"Busy" jazz is a bit sloppy on these, though. I don't have a verdict yet on the midrange, but I'm not wild about it. I have a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeters coming in April, and I hope that will be my new reference for what sounds "right". 

Yea, for $10 you just cant go wrong.

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #16,521 of 22,116
Feb 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #16,523 of 22,116
Feb 27, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #16,524 of 22,116

Yeah lol, this is old news

Ha, nah not for me, I dont follow new stuff coming out too often. IMO new have to get tried and true before Ill even consider it on my radar. When I spent time with the HE-400i and the HE-560i I was not impressed and certainly wont be selling my HE-500's for either. Dont know if they had these new pads on them, but other than the funky headband pad that was more comfortable and the lighter weight I didnt think they were anything too special. But if you think about it logically, it would have to be some pretty darn amazing technology HiFiMan must have come up with to beat their already legendary cans with the HE-400 and HE-500. It doesnt even make sense that they could. IMO these new cans will be a side grade if that. But, we'll see what people who actually own the old and the new and spend ample time with them both comparing think.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #16,525 of 22,116

Ha, nah not for me, I dont follow new stuff coming out too often. IMO new have to get tried and true before Ill even consider it on my radar. When I spent time with the HE-400i and the HE-560i I was not impressed and certainly wont be selling my HE-500's for either. Dont know if they had these new pads on them, but other than the funky headband pad that was more comfortable and the lighter weight I didnt think they were anything too special. But if you think about it logically, it would have to be some pretty darn amazing technology HiFiMan must have come up with to beat their already legendary cans with the HE-400 and HE-500. It doesnt even make sense that they could. IMO these new cans will be a side grade if that. But, we'll see what people who actually own the old and the new and spend ample time with them both comparing think.

I 100% agree. This is exactly my mindset currently.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #16,527 of 22,116
The he500 would certainly qualify as a nice upgrade to the he400, as well it should. While the bass has a slightly tighter presentation with a touch less impact (IMO), the mids are wonderful and the treble is smooth and resolving with no peak or harshness. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #16,529 of 22,116
Actually the he400i that is due out in a month so might be the better upgrade. Lighter, more comfortable design and a signature turned like the he500...or so they say. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #16,530 of 22,116
Given a few of the durability issues with Hifiman's stuff currently, I'll have to base my upgrade choice a little less on sound and more on quality the next time around! I am just convinced that the cables need to be better, the connectors more 'standardized' and headbands securely attached. They need to get more comfortable. Obviously the pads are a big one - as anyone that has spent time with these knows they are critical to the final presentation of the sound and also comfort.

There are some other planars coming out (Oppo!), and some very good newer phones out there for ~$300 which is the price level I am more comfortable at given my spending / disappointment tolerance ratio. IMO jacking the price on the new models was a mistake because it really changes the whole value proposition (for me anyway). 25% price bump (to $500) needs to show up in fit and finish. I keep thinking of the HD-650s and how they just have it all over Hifi in terms of comfort, for example, and still a world-class sound.

Of course you can take this from the guy that decided, awhile ago, that audio is a land of rapidly diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back