**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #15,996 of 22,116
Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but do the he 400s really require the recommended 150 hours of burnin. It seems excessive to me, does the sound change much?

My he 400s arrived earlier today, but THE CABLE WAS DEFECTIVE. the right connector of the cable was broken, so I will have to wait till it gets replaced to finally listen to them, it's hurting me having them next to me but not being able to listen to them.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #15,998 of 22,116
I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best. How do headphones produce sounds that sound up (above the head) and down (below the head) and all the spaces in between? I know how they make sounds appear left and right, but I swear I hear some sounds above and below others.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #15,999 of 22,116
Forgive me if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but do the he 400s really require the recommended 150 hours of burnin. It seems excessive to me, does the sound change much?

My he 400s arrived earlier today, but THE CABLE WAS DEFECTIVE. the right connector of the cable was broken, so I will have to wait till it gets replaced to finally listen to them, it's hurting me having them next to me but not being able to listen to them.

Happened to my set too, received a faulty cable. But was replaced after a few days

On a separate case: Ive burned in the HE400 for well about 50-60hours now. I pair it with Fiio X3 and also E12:
Unfortunately i do not think that both are powerful enough to drive the headphones. Im in the verge of returning the HE400
No plans to upgrade to desktop amp/dac at this point though

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #16,000 of 22,116

Happened to my set too, received a faulty cable. But was replaced after a few days

On a separate case: Ive burned in the HE400 for well about 50-60hours now. I pair it with Fiio X3 and also E12:
Unfortunately i do not think that both are powerful enough to drive the headphones. Im in the verge of returning the HE400

Whaaa?  Do you listen to it at earsplitting levels?  My X3 drives the HE400 easily at volume 25.  If I turn the volume all the ways they work like 2 channel speakers.  

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #16,001 of 22,116

If you are talking about power in terms of decibels, that set up should be good to get the loudness you want. If you're talking about power in terms of synergy, I'm not surprised. Fiio product already make the horribly flawed HE-400 treble even worse. Even a bigger issue I see, why are you trying to force an HE-400 into a portable solution?!

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #16,002 of 22,116

I am with Roguegeek.  My RSA Hornet made the HE-400 way too bright.  It sounded great from my Ipod Classic via LOD into an ALO National.  It kind of reminds me of listening to them on my WA6.  The HE-400s even sound better from an Ipod Touch -> CLAS Solo -> RSA SR-71B.

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #16,003 of 22,116
  Could you provide the file of any song you hear this background crackling on?

It could be that the HE-400 is picking up crackling in the songs that you just can't hear on other speakers or headphones, but this is only a guess.

I've noticed this when comparing to dt800s and hd650s. I'm not sure if it is unique to these cans or generalized to all planars. Maybe mastering engineers need to start testing their tracks on planars.

Sorry for taking this long to reply.
I'm not sure what is happening but it seems it might be a software issue. I listened to the same songs on YouTube and the crackling is almost always inaudible.
To listen I tipically use my PC with Winamp or VLC (for video files). Any and all EQ or effects are disabled.
I'm not sure that I can provide files without infringing any rules.

@jshaffe: can you be more specific? I'd like to determine if we are talking about the exact same issue

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #16,004 of 22,116
So if there isn't much benefit going from the Magni to the Asgard 2 what about from going to the Lyr?

I'll disagree with Raven on this one. I hear a good bit of difference going from the magni to the A2. In simple terms the magni has a harsh leading edge to upper range that I didn't like. While the A2 is also a clean mostly neutral amp, there is no harshness and there is wonderful rendering of music that never sounds strained...just refined, effortless. There is linage borrowed from the mojo for the A2 for sure. 

It's shameful IMO that after all this time, all the cable problems with the he400...that HFM continues to ship them. The cable on the he4 was brilliant. For shame...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back