HIFIMAN: HE-400 Compared to BEYERDYNAMIC: DT 880 (600 Ohm)
Mar 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

seag33k

100+ Head-Fier
I have read many reviews of these two pairs of headphones but thought I'd get some feedback from people who have actually listened to them.  Are either of them difficult to drive? Would my FiiO E17 suffice to drive these cans? Eventually I'll be getting another amp but this is what I have at the moment.

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 21
I've been wondering the same thing...
Consider this a free bump.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the bump.  This question must of been asked a number of times else where.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 21
OmarSy - Guess we are out of luck, not much interest in my post.  Guess we'll have to review old posts and reviews :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 21
I heard the HE400 and the 880 250 Ohm at the Austin HeadFi meet.  I now own the HE400.  They're sort of apples and oranges because the HE400 are much darker.  I liked the 880s because they have a smoothness that others in that class don't possess.  You can't really go wrong with either.  The HE400 are not hard to drive at all and sound great with no amp.  I don't think the same can be said of the 880 600 Ohm.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 21
Thanks for the feedback!  I don't always listen to music with the best recordings so my concern is that some high end headphones might magnify the limitations.  Also some of the older rock lacks decent bass compared to the newer stuff.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate nice detail and accurate bass, but on lesser recording that detail can sound harsh and the bass is non existent.  I'd like a pair of reference cans that let great recordings shine and not make the older stuff unlistenable :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 21
I have the DT880 Pro's and the E17 drives them adequately, when the E17 is docked in my E09K then there is more than enough power for really great listening. I don't think the E17 alone will drive the 600 ohm version well, but others may chime in and verify that.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 21
TrollDragon - thanks for the info regarding the E17.  I posed the question on another thread and it looks like I'd need to beef up my amp section if I purchase the DT880s.  How do they sound with lesser recordings?  Part of the reason I got back into audio was that I got a pair of Grado i60s in trade and started to enjoy better sounding audio compared to the inexpensive stereos around the house.  I really want to enjoy the music vs turning into an analytic listener.  I am looking for cans that do well with all sorts of music and qualities without being harsh if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
TrollDragon - thanks for the info regarding the E17.  I posed the question on another thread and it looks like I'd need to beef up my amp section if I purchase the DT880s.  How do they sound with lesser recordings?  Part of the reason I got back into audio was that I got a pair of Grado i60s in trade and started to enjoy better sounding audio compared to the inexpensive stereos around the house.  I really want to enjoy the music vs turning into an analytic listener.  I am looking for cans that do well with all sorts of music and qualities without being harsh if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

I've done most of my listening on Grados or Denon D2Ks, and didn't know what to make of the DT880s at first - they *are* pretty 'analytical' sounding to me and much more neutral than I was used to.  For the first few weeks, I spent most of my time switching between them and the headphones I was more familiar with, trying to work out whether i actually liked what I was hearing!

That said, I think I'm warming to them - the bass is very 'real' sounding and articulate, and the highs are incredibly detailed but never harsh like the Grados/Denons can often be.

They don't excel at rock like my Grados or electronica like my Denons, but I suspect they'll end up being a better all-rounder. Very very comfortable too!

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #10 of 21
Thanks for the feedback and comparisons with other headphones.  One thing that caught my eye with the HE-400s is that they are often characterized as "fun" sounding headphones with all the other attributes of a reference set of cans.  There bass is also described as accurate with impact.  Unfortunately there isn't any place near me that carry either of these models.

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:

I've done most of my listening on Grados or Denon D2Ks, and didn't know what to make of the DT880s at first - they *are* pretty 'analytical' sounding to me and much more neutral than I was used to.  For the first few weeks, I spent most of my time switching between them and the headphones I was more familiar with, trying to work out whether i actually liked what I was hearing!

That said, I think I'm warming to them - the bass is very 'real' sounding and articulate, and the highs are incredibly detailed but never harsh like the Grados/Denons can often be.

They don't excel at rock like my Grados or electronica like my Denons, but I suspect they'll end up being a better all-rounder. Very very comfortable too!

Hey seag33k!

It's exactly like sinnottj is saying, I also find them very neutral. I got the DT880's as I already have a Bass heavy can with the HFI-780's and wanted an open can in my price selection. Also I read that were one of the most comfortable headphones around and this I can tell you is very true!

Back when I got my 'Sones,  I went through my music and  anything that was of lower or mediocre quality was removed and the CD's dug out and re-ripped to a better rate. When one only has an 8GB iPod you tend to rip stuff at lower rates to maximize the space. I left these rips in my main iTunes library instead of ALAC's, all has been reversed now since I have a Colorfly C3 that will play FLAC's... But I ramble...

Just did a little comparison with the DT880's and the HFI-780's:
AC/DC - (Who Made Who, Hells Bells and The Jack)
Juno Reactor - (Pistolero, Tokyo Dub)
Deadmau5 - (Sofi Needs A Ladder)
Metallica - (Holier than Thou, The Unforgiven)
Pink Floyd - (Welcome to the Machine, Have A Cigar)
Infected Mushroom - (Nation Of Wusses, End of the Road)

The results should be very obvious which sound goes where:
AC/DC, Metallica & Pink Floyd all sound the best on the DT880's
Juno Reactor, Deadmau5 & Infected Mushroom all sound the best on the HFI-780's

Juno Reactor & Infected Mushroom sound great on the DT880's as well, the Bass is there but not the ear tickling Bass of the HFI-780's, the main difference is acoustic sections in the Juno reactor pieces really shine on the DT880's.

AC/DC sounded way too shrill on the HFI-780 for me to listen for too long.

These two can have their specific uses, I possibly should have ordered the DT990's instead as it has more Bass and Treble than the 880's. 
basshead.gif

There are other threads here that compare the HE-400's to the DT880's and from what I read they are on an very close keel soundwise with comfort and drivability being the deciding factor for the two.

I have yet to hear a pair of Grado's so I can't comment but I hear they are the king's of Rock. (I am looking to pick up a pair of SR225i's down the road.)

Sorry for the ramble... The DT880's are a really good all rounder if there is a place you can audition them and compare, then that will be your best criteria for purchasing.
We all hear different, the DT880's are despised by some for being too sterile and loved by others, I love mine but I have not heard any of the HiFiMan can's so I can only imagine with a sense of hmmmm I should really try those... 
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 21
Limniscate - How would you characterize the bass to mid-bass of the HE-400s?

Thanks for all the great info! It really helps!!

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 21
Take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm fairly new to this world, but I would characterize it as weighty, deep, and fast.  I've also listened to the Denon D2000 and 5000.  I liked the HE400s better than the D2000s for sure.  I didn't get enough time with the D5000s to really draw a conclusion.  Of the 880 and the HE400s, I would agree that the HE400s are more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back