HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity Complete - Feel free to still comment
Jul 19, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,726 of 1,738
The best way to resolve the confusion about that, is for the O.P  to change the title to reflect that the test is over, not the thread.

Or just remove the 'Beta Testing Opportunity' from thread name ...

Yeah! What he said…or that other handsome guy 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,728 of 1,738
  Has anyone compared the Betas to the Productions?

I wasnt able to A/B them but to my ears the Production units sounded a bit better than the Beta ones.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,729 of 1,738
  I wasnt able to A/B them but to my ears the Production units sounded a bit better than the Beta ones.

Is it possible for you to outlined what sounded better between the 2. Like bass, mid, treble, transparency, imaging, soundstage?

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,730 of 1,738
  Is it possible for you to outlined what sounded better between the 2. Like bass, mid, treble, transparency, imaging, soundstage?

Generally everything was better.  However of particular note I felt like there was better bass, just as tight as before but more impactful.  I can only assume that this was due to the fact that the headband was shorter and thus has slightly less mass to absorb the vibrations.

It also to my head is a bit more comfortable.

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #1,731 of 1,738
I just purchased an HE1000 that, based on notes written on the box, arrived at the retailer around the middle of June.  

Is there a way to tell, based on the box or serial number, that I did not purchase a Beta item, rather it was deemed 'production' by you, HiFiMan?

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #1,732 of 1,738
  I just purchased an HE1000 that, based on notes written on the box, arrived at the retailer around the middle of June.  

Is there a way to tell, based on the box or serial number, that I did not purchase a Beta item, rather it was deemed 'production' by you, HiFiMan?

Well, just the headband has been shrunk a bit, I believe. As long as they fit you well, they should be the production model 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,733 of 1,738
The Betas didn't appear to have had any long-term run-in as their sound changed with use. The final version sounded like the beta version after a hundred or more hours of use, with less boomy bass and more refined overall.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,734 of 1,738
Another difference is that the earlier units had HE-1000 (with the dash) instead of HE1000 (without the dash) on the side of the headphones. However, I am uncertain as to whether there are also a limited number of beta units without the dash. Not sure how many beta units are still in circulation either.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,735 of 1,738
  Another difference is that the earlier units had HE-1000 (with the dash) instead of HE1000 (without the dash) on the side of the headphones. However, I am uncertain as to whether there are also a limited number of beta units without the dash. Not sure how many beta units are still in circulation either.

This  is a REAL DISCOVERY! (that betas were HE-1000 and productions were HE1000).  Thanks, @Music Alchemist !!!

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,736 of 1,738
  This  is a REAL DISCOVERY! (that betas were HE-1000 and productions were HE1000).  Thanks, @Music Alchemist !!!

I actually don't remember whether your beta unit that I auditioned had the dash or not. It's possible that they removed the dash in the middle of the beta period, since there were at least two separate batches. I may have discussed this with other beta testers, but don't recall. But remember how I told you that day how I was thinking about getting the STAX SR-207? I owned it for awhile and honestly like it quite a bit more than the HE1000, which is impressive considering that it's over seven times more affordable. (And the used one I got was over sixteen times cheaper!) To my ears, nothing can compete with the transparency of electrostats. Of course, the HE1000 and other flagships do certain things better. I think the HE1000 is the ultimate "lush" headphone. Sounds good with literally everything, but the lushness (slightly warm and smooth, subdued without vicious impact) diminishes from the realism for me. Would still like to add it to the collection next year, but only after the SR-009 and a few other things are taken care of.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,737 of 1,738

Users who are viewing this thread

Back