HIFIMAN EXPRESS Brand and HM-101 Portable USB DAC
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN

Why don't you build some consumer grade products with Hi-Fi elements?  One of my friend asked me last year. He was right, we do have the ability to build consumer grade products, such as headphones, sound card, players, as cheap as those sold in walmart, and sound a lot better. So we registered HIFIMAN EXPRESS trademark, and designed several new products under this brand. HM-101 portable USB DAC is the first one. Several new products such as RE-242 iphone compatible IEM will coming soon. We will keep use HIFIMAN trademark for Hi-Fi market in the future. 

HM-101 USB DAC 
Order Link: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=113#
Price: 39 USD

Why we build HM-101 USB DAC 

Most modern computers have on-board sound cards, which provide relatively lean and cold sound. People call it "digital sound". Sometimes on-board soundcard have bad signal to noise issue so that customer can hear noise from sound card headphone output. Hifiman express HM-101 is a very small USB sound card ( as small as a matchbox) with headphone amp output and line output. We use one of the best sound quality USB D/A convertor chip Burr-brown PCM2702 as the key component in HM-101. We designed the headphone amplifer with the famous headphone amplifier chip TDA1308, with about 50 to 70 mw headphone output. HM-101 USB DAC can be used on both Windows and Mac. 

Spec
Frequency Response: 20 to 20k Hz
THD: 0.07%
S/N: 96 dB
Stereo Crosstalk: 78 dB
Headphone Amplifier Output:
62 mw at 36 Ohm
26 mw at 150 Ohm
Dimension: 36 * 60.5 * 13.8 mm

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 38
unexpectedly cheap and tiny 
eek.gif
. I want to read some comparisons already.

Weird to see a portable standalone DAC.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 38

Quote:
Frequency range could be better imo

You mean you can hear beyond those extremes?

Looks like a good product for the price, is it possible to show more pictures of the input and output?

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 38

I'll review it when I receive it.

@ frequency range comment, if I remember correctly the datasheet for the DAC said 20Hz-20kHz +-0.3dB, I'm not sure if there's an actual limit at 20khz... but do you actually have files on your computer that extend above 20khz?

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 38

Quote:

I'll review it when I receive it.

@ frequency range comment, if I remember correctly the datasheet for the DAC said 20Hz-20kHz +-0.3dB, I'm not sure if there's an actual limit at 20khz... but do you actually have files on your computer that extend above 20khz?

The major question is, can you actually hear more then what the 20-20,000 range is?

Eitherway, the DAC looks interesting for low impedance headphones with laptops or a budget desktop.

I'd like to learn about using it as a preamp. I'm still running off my MoBo sound interface here.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 38

@BotByte, why specifically for low impedance phones?

Perhaps we can't hear above 20kHz, but there's information up there that causes unwanted noise in the range under 20kHz, which we have to get rid of with a filter of some sort, so a 10-100kHz recording is more pure, is my basic understanding.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 38
I'm super impressed by the Fiio E7. Great battery life, good DAC feature, amp is decent as well.

According to Kiteki's review, the HM-101s are great if you don't have a sound card. If you're not
looking for functionality and you just want a good substitute for your onboard audio, the HM-101
looks like a good option.

Quote:
Need someone to compare it to the E7... or the upcoming E10...

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #15 of 38
Haha, interesting. Hifiman continues to churn out products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back