HIFIMAN EXPRESS Brand and HM-101 Portable USB DAC
Sep 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN

Why don't you build some consumer grade products with Hi-Fi elements?  One of my friend asked me last year. He was right, we do have the ability to build consumer grade products, such as headphones, sound card, players, as cheap as those sold in walmart, and sound a lot better. So we registered HIFIMAN EXPRESS trademark, and designed several new products under this brand. HM-101 portable USB DAC is the first one. Several new products such as RE-242 iphone compatible IEM will coming soon. We will keep use HIFIMAN trademark for Hi-Fi market in the future. 

HM-101 USB DAC
Order Link: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=113#
Price: 39 USD

Why we build HM-101 USB DAC

Most modern computers have on-board sound cards, which provide relatively lean and cold sound. People call it "digital sound". Sometimes on-board soundcard have bad signal to noise issue so that customer can hear noise from sound card headphone output. Hifiman express HM-101 is a very small USB sound card ( as small as a matchbox) with headphone amp output and line output. We use one of the best sound quality USB D/A convertor chip Burr-brown PCM2702 as the key component in HM-101. We designed the headphone amplifer with the famous headphone amplifier chip TDA1308, with about 50 to 70 mw headphone output. HM-101 USB DAC can be used on both Windows and Mac. 

Spec
Frequency Response: 20 to 20k Hz
THD: 0.07%
S/N: 96 dB
Stereo Crosstalk: 78 dB
Headphone Amplifier Output:
62 mw at 36 Ohm
26 mw at 150 Ohm
Dimension: 36 * 60.5 * 13.8 mm

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Sep 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:

I think umvue was joking........ but he does write stupid posts like that a fair bit.

I'll post my impressions as soon as I receive the HM-101, I have high hopes for the chips it's using along with the price, but we'll see.

Actually, I wasn't joking. I thought the HM line means DAP, so I didn't read the thread title fully in the first glance. I think it is a mistake not to make this a DAP because "consumers" don't have the concept of DAC/amp. I think I will pass this time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back