1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HIFIMAN ES100 and RE300i

1. mrarroyo Contributor
    Darn! it has been a very long time since I posted here let alone write an opinion on any piece of equipment. Yes, I am rusty and hope what I am posting won't be too boring to you all.

About a week ago I was contacted by Chen from Head Direct who asked me if I would be interested in listening to a couple of their portable headphones and due to my past dealings with Head Direct and Dr. Fang I said YES!

Before we proceed here are a few pictures I took.

DSCN1586.jpg DSCN1584.jpg DSCN1585.jpg

DSCN1581.jpg DSCN1582.jpg DSCN1583.jpg

Currently they are getting a bit of use to assist in breaking them in. The initial impressions were not vary favorable (see below) and I debated wether to list them now with no use straight out of the box, but from my experience with other units I know what a few hours of burn in can do. So here it goes: I started by playing Summertime by Nicole Henry out of her album The Nearness of You which yielded the below of the box impressions. I normally will let the cans burn in for about 100 hours before I make a thorough listen and comparison with other cans. I realize that burning in equipment can get heated and I hope we do not go there, these are my thoughts that some may share and others will disagree with and I hope we can let it stand at that.

ES100
    - Raspy bottom end
    - Dull top end
    - Not a lot of definition over the entire range
    - The ear piece like others (Yuin OK1 comes to mind) are on the large side and it may take users a bit of time to adjust
    - Very nice packaging with very good fit and finish

RE300i
    - Thick bottom end
    - Mids a bit dull
    - Light top end
    - Fit is spot on with no discomfort using the stock tips
    - The cable is thick of the appropriate length
    - Nice packaging with very good fit and finish

The music has been playing about 1 hour via the RE300i and some of the excess bottom end that presented itself initially with a way too thick bottom has started to clear out and thus some of the boom is gone making for a more pleasant listening experience. The mid and the top end is a bit clearer and I hope the next 99 hours will continue to help the performance of this IEM. Thanks.