Hifiman Edition X
Oct 18, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #3,796 of 4,030
I certainly won't give to much stock in first day impressions.
I'll definitely amend the review should things change and I'll keep ya'll posted :]

Grand write up. I find definition in highs and image specificity max out with center of driver right over ear canal. I have a big head and even with cups folded up to headband found them about 2/3" too low. I got delkoni nuggets and a little adjusting and viola. Much better. Then I got a silver cable and got more def and sparkle in the highs.

It isn't a one size fits all. For piano I have the HD-600, for rock, blues I have the he-500, for me krall, Joni, etc I have these

Good listening

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #3,797 of 4,030
Grand write up. I find definition in highs and image specificity max out with center of driver right over ear canal. I have a big head and even with cups folded up to headband found them about 2/3" too low. I got delkoni nuggets and a little adjusting and viola. Much better. Then I got a silver cable and got more def and sparkle in the highs.

It isn't a one size fits all. For piano I have the HD-600, for rock, blues I have the he-500, for me krall, Joni, etc I have these

Good listening

Thanks!
Yes, I'll order the Nuggets, otherwise the HEX sags too low, though I tried propping it higher and did not find any sonic difference there (though I am sure that's because of the physical differences of our ears which can be affected by positioning a lot more individually). At the very least, It'll help with fit.

Oct 19, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #3,798 of 4,030
Day two has taught me to appreciate the HEX considerably more than day one.
I am enjoying the super smooth yet greatly detailed presentation.
I am also a lot more fond of the softness of the sound. That is not to say I don't sometimes miss a bit of dynamics, but without comparing to a more dynamic headphone, I can enjoy a lot of the magic the HEX dishes out.
I do no longer think the choruses suffer as much as I initially thought... My ears were pretty tired yesterday, as I expected, so a lot of my gripes sounded overblown too.
The bass is also extraordinarily tight but can bring some impact to the table when a track calls for it.
Let's see if fixing the soggy headstrap helps the bass a little bit more :)
I also plan to test the EdX for gaming more when I get down to it.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #3,799 of 4,030
I am also a lot more fond of the softness of the sound. That is not to say I don't sometimes miss a bit of dynamics, but without comparing to a more dynamic headphone, I can enjoy a lot of the magic the HEX dishes out.
I do no longer think the choruses suffer as much as I initially thought... My ears were pretty tired yesterday, as I expected, so a lot of my gripes sounded overblown too.
The bass is also extraordinarily tight but can bring some impact to the table when a track calls for it.
What source you currently feeding the EDX? I see from your profile, you had the Theta DAC, I have the DS Pro Progeny and Prime II, run out to a Mjolnir or Jotunheim and the Edition X's go wild! I found that if I run it out of a perhaps more neutral DAC then that's what the Edition X's will be!

IMHO, I find the Edition X's are the upgrade to the HD600! Has very similar characteristics but ultimately a faster, clear, more detailed experience! Still smooth like the Sennheiser's and this softness is actually a blessing for those really bad recordings! But doesn't smear really good recordings either, heck of a feat! It Scales well and is staying with me forever haha! Bass is tight and controlled, slightly rolled off but can be more natural than most other headphones!

As for gaming, I mainly play CSGO competitively, and the Edition X's are perfectly suited for such task, as a headphone of this caliber can do most things very well!

I dare you to try the Edition X's on a tube amp! :grimacing:

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #3,800 of 4,030
Glad to hear that things are falling into place a little more. The great thing is that we can have different sound signatures at our disposal, so when you want a little more dynamic energy you have options, but man the HEX2 is very seductive and the layering is pretty intense.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #3,801 of 4,030
What source you currently feeding the EDX? I see from your profile, you had the Theta DAC, I have the DS Pro Progeny and Prime II, run out to a Mjolnir or Jotunheim and the Edition X's go wild! I found that if I run it out of a perhaps more neutral DAC then that's what the Edition X's will be!

IMHO, I find the Edition X's are the upgrade to the HD600! Has very similar characteristics but ultimately a faster, clear, more detailed experience! Still smooth like the Sennheiser's and this softness is actually a blessing for those really bad recordings! But doesn't smear really good recordings either, heck of a feat! It Scales well and is staying with me forever haha! Bass is tight and controlled, slightly rolled off but can be more natural than most other headphones!

As for gaming, I mainly play CSGO competitively, and the Edition X's are perfectly suited for such task, as a headphone of this caliber can do most things very well!

I dare you to try the Edition X's on a tube amp! :grimacing:
I have the R2R11 which is very similar to my precious Theta basic II that I had before. It's a very smooth but quite detailed unit, so the only thing it does to my ears is smooth out a bit of a treble glare on those headphones that need it.
I don't doubt the headphone would sound more dynamic on a tube or more colored setup but for now I'll keep what I have and love :)
Thanks for the tips and your experience with the headphone!
I'll certainly report back again soon

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #3,802 of 4,030
IMHO, I find the Edition X's are the upgrade to the HD600! Has very similar characteristics but ultimately a faster, clear, more detailed experience!
Interesting. I have both as two of my three refs. HEX v2's has almost 2 octaves more low bass (unless you are using a BH Crack - or similar). HEX is more cohesive. There is however a certain magic with piano or dueling piano which I think the HD-600 produces a bit cleaner than the HEX. Still look at my Sig, HEX is indeed better.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3,803 of 4,030
EdX day X.

I've grown to appreciate the HEX a lot more than I initially thought. Having received the Dekoni Nuggets in the meantime, I think they definitely help with the fit and leave a lot more wiggle room to adjust the headphone properly. Now, whether they improve the sound I cannot say; perhaps the bass extends a little lower, but with regards to treble or such, I do not observe a difference, having not had and did not find the response prior to Nuggets problematic in the slightest.

The cool thing about the HEX is that it is equally hope quiet and loud (at least on my setup) and because it is so smooth, I can push it louder than most headphones without any fatigue penalty (I am still being mindful of volume of course).

Listening to any other headphone, even those I thought handled treble reasonably smoothly, is difficult after getting used to the smoothness of these, and I always look forward to listening to them when I haven't for a while.

The staging remains excellent, and imaging is up there with the best too. I simply need to note this headphone makes it incredibly easy to tell hard panned vocals and guitars apart; on most other headphones, double tracked instruments can be difficult to trace L/R properly.

It will never be the headphone to reach for when lusting for great dynamism, deep thump or sizzling energy, but I think as a package, it does formidably well and for now I am really glad I decided to give it a shot. Definitely the best Hifiman I've owned to date in terms of overall tonality (HE1000 v1, HE-6, HE560, HE-400S/i, HE4XX) and pretty close to my perfect headphone outside of much pricier alternatives.

That said, my other two remaining headphones (Status Audio CB-1 and HE4XX) are still excellent bang for bucks and can wear some of the hats the HEX cannot, but neither performs this well as a whole.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #3,804 of 4,030
See what I told you mate, it has a very special signature. Just be glad that you picked one up in great condition because HFM stopped producing them which I think was a mistake. I agree, for those who love the most vibrant dynamic swing, these will sound a little too relaxed, but for those of us willing to have a nice articulate, slightly soft signature in their possession, the HEX2 is pretty special. I also owned the HE560 and HE400i and the HEX2 is quite simply for me so much more enjoyable, although I very much enjoyed the other HFM models as well.

Try the gentle EQ adjustments that Tyll posted on his Innerfidelity review of the original HEX, he really liked the headphone for pretty much exactly the same reason that you do. I found those little adjustments increased the dynamics just enough to be worthwhile without really changing the seductiveness of the signature.

Oct 26, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #3,805 of 4,030
EdX day X.

I've grown to appreciate the HEX a lot more than I initially thought. Having received the Dekoni Nuggets in the meantime, I think they definitely help with the fit and leave a lot more wiggle room to adjust the headphone properly. Now, whether they improve the sound I cannot say; perhaps the bass extends a little lower, but with regards to treble or such, I do not observe a difference, having not had and did not find the response prior to Nuggets problematic in the slightest.

The cool thing about the HEX is that it is equally hope quiet and loud (at least on my setup) and because it is so smooth, I can push it louder than most headphones without any fatigue penalty (I am still being mindful of volume of course).

Listening to any other headphone, even those I thought handled treble reasonably smoothly, is difficult after getting used to the smoothness of these, and I always look forward to listening to them when I haven't for a while.

The staging remains excellent, and imaging is up there with the best too. I simply need to note this headphone makes it incredibly easy to tell hard panned vocals and guitars apart; on most other headphones, double tracked instruments can be difficult to trace L/R properly.

It will never be the headphone to reach for when lusting for great dynamism, deep thump or sizzling energy, but I think as a package, it does formidably well and for now I am really glad I decided to give it a shot. Definitely the best Hifiman I've owned to date in terms of overall tonality (HE1000 v1, HE-6, HE560, HE-400S/i, HE4XX) and pretty close to my perfect headphone outside of much pricier alternatives.

That said, my other two remaining headphones (Status Audio CB-1 and HE4XX) are still excellent bang for bucks and can wear some of the hats the HEX cannot, but neither performs this well as a whole.

Very cool. I don't listen loud often. But when I do I find the HEX v2 (or mine anyhow) doesn't like it. Soundstage breaks down. I would peg that at 97 db program - higher peak. I usually listen mid 80's db, with peaks at most at 94 - so its no problem.

I said like others that these are great late night or early morning cans. Before the nuggets/proper adjustment and the cables I got, I was planing on selling them, but, no such wish now.

It's not the biggest clan here, but the fans of this can are some of the happier folks here. Keep writing.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,806 of 4,030
I listen quite loud and I can't say that I have noticed any detrimental effect on the performance of the HEX2. Yes, I count myself in the small but very happy HEX2 clan.

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #3,807 of 4,030
Another day, another post :)

Appreciate the positivity and good vibes of this thread

I've souped up the pads today. This is done by inserting a set of hard foam inserts (which come with the original Hifiman pleather pads) by cutting them in half and only propping up the front part of the pad which decreases the angle and increases the overall firmness a bit and prevent my ears barely touching the drivers. This works very well with most soft pads, though pads that have sufficient depth and firmness don't require this.

This enhanced comfort and fit a bit for me and together with the Nuggets contributes to an overall better feel and perhaps slightly better extended bass.

I've also tried the EQ suggested by Sonic Defender and it does bring more energy and dynamism to the headphone, but I still keep coming back to the original sound because the smoothness is phenomenal and the EQ takes a tiny bit away, to my ears.

Finally, I've foolishly attempted to replace the headband with a spare one I had from the original HEK in hopes it'd make the fit better, prior to ordering the Nuggets. Do NOT recommend. It's nigh on impossible to do without specialized tools and putting the original headband together was not fun at all. I even ginped the earpads a bit in the process and there's now a tiny scratch on the paint of one of the earpads that I think wasn't there before :frowning2:

Sound continues to seduce me and the fit is now excellent too :)

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_094131.jpg
    IMG_20191027_094131.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191027_094402.jpg
    IMG_20191027_094402.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191027_094155.jpg
    IMG_20191027_094155.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191027_094148.jpg
    IMG_20191027_094148.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191027_094137.jpg
    IMG_20191027_094137.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #3,809 of 4,030
Hi everyone, I thought I would finally join and post after I’ve been lurking for a few days reading about the Edition X V2, Arya, and the Ananda because I’ve been pretty excited about my new headphones that just started arriving today, the Edition X V2, with the Ananda still on the way. For my new headphones, I was looking for something different from my other main go to headphones: HE560, Sundara, HE5se, and HE400i, as I just wanted “more and different.” While I adore each of those headphones and feel they are each awesome, I’ve been looking for a reason to get the more expensive and an upgrade “tear drop style” headphones From Hifiman and I finally decided I had put it off long enough and made the plunge a few days ago.

I read post, after post, after post here looking for info on sound quality as I purchased without hearing either of them and I must say the Edition X V2, or I think y’all call it the HEX V2, really surprised me, WOW!!! I really was not expecting this much difference and I’m still shocked about it and have been listening to it for hours as I just can not seem to take it off my head.

I could go on and on about how excited and thrilled I am about my new purchases, but for my first post, I think this little intro is enough to let y’all know I joined the HEX V2 club and my Ananda is on the way. I finally get what y’all have been raving about, WOW what a headphone!!!

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #3,810 of 4,030
Hi everyone, I thought I would finally join and post after I’ve been lurking for a few days reading about the Edition X V2, Arya, and the Ananda because I’ve been pretty excited about my new headphones that just started arriving today, the Edition X V2, with the Ananda still on the way. For my new headphones, I was looking for something different from my other main go to headphones: HE560, Sundara, HE5se, and HE400i, as I just wanted “more and different.” While I adore each of those headphones and feel they are each awesome, I’ve been looking for a reason to get the more expensive and an upgrade “tear drop style” headphones From Hifiman and I finally decided I had put it off long enough and made the plunge a few days ago.

I read post, after post, after post here looking for info on sound quality as I purchased without hearing either of them and I must say the Edition X V2, or I think y’all call it the HEX V2, really surprised me, WOW!!! I really was not expecting this much difference and I’m still shocked about it and have been listening to it for hours as I just can not seem to take it off my head.

I could go on and on about how excited and thrilled I am about my new purchases, but for my first post, I think this little intro is enough to let y’all know I joined the HEX V2 club and my Ananda is on the way. I finally get what y’all have been raving about, WOW what a headphone!!!
Welcome, great first post, and great headphone. You're in for a treat for sure. I had actually ordered a Sundara from Amazon and then suddenly a shot at a mint, literally almost new HEX2 came up so I cancelled the Amazon order before they shipped and have been loving the HEX2 ever since. I also owned (and loved) the HE560 (original first series with the SMC cup connectors) and the HE400i. Looking forward to your input versus the Ananda, which from all accounts should sound closer to the HE560 (more detail focused). Let us know how things shake out and many happy posts to come for you. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back