Hifiman Edition X
Jul 31, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #3,766 of 4,030
Well I didn't see HE 1000 V2's in your sig. I do remember you getting the Edition X V2 a while back.

Umm no. I recently heard the HEK v2, and overall it's better then the HEX v2, but not at double the price used. I also haven't owned any Stax since about 2007, and they were nowhere near as good as the 007/009 or the HEX v2 for that matter. I am also interested in the MD (or Drop is it now?) XX, but, I'm not going to buy a pair just to satisfy my curiosity. I think the HE5se is the last time I'll do that.

I'm getting ready for a big move in the Fall. Endgame. Right now the list has: Voce, E2, Raal, Arya, HEXse on it, and I'll add 1 or 2 more. The HEX v2 will probably go too....

Aug 1, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #3,767 of 4,030
Those nuggets really work. I was using various pieces of cloth to raise up the headband and thus the cups. It was hot and inconsistent. Now it's cooler than stock, stays put, and gets those cups where I like them and they won't budge over a long listening session.

I just bought a used SPC cable to try with with these. It's supposed to have a bit more treble sparkle, so we'll see. They were in fine voice last night - doing nicely with both pop and jazz.

Aug 3, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #3,768 of 4,030
Changed from Arctic Cables "Cardas" to Headphone Lounge T2 pure silver litz.

2.5 hours. upper mids more present and more focused - on female voices, violins, guitars. It's fairly subtle, but consistent. It's not unpleasant or harsh. This continued into the highs, but to lesser effect. Sometimes you'd get the 'sssh' emphasis a bit more, but, overall the can is a bit reticent on the highs still.

One bass riff seemed like the space was smaller than normal, but next two cuts rollicked with an obviously bigger space and more dynamics than the Cardas. All other bass passages seemed unchanged.

I've heard silver cables that are not coherent, these are.

One thing for sure is that because these cans can be fairly buttoned down in the excitement category that the extra life in the upper mids seems to make them more lively and pleasing overall. Nobody will ever confuse these with impact cans. But, getting more definition and MORE life at the same time even in a smallish dose - is good.

It's early yet. I'll let it settle in for another week or two, and do the final report.

Aug 8, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,769 of 4,030
Interim report on cable change: Mids continue to be very clear and even handed. No emphasis or lack thereof - but clearly more definition than before, but not a whole new level - just enhanced. . Upper mids continue to seem more alive than with prior cable, that helps with the sense of dynamics. Lower highs carry on somewhat the same. Mid treble maybe a bit. The finish of some overtones seem a bit louder/clearer, other cases no. Very careful to be sure the volumes stayed the same.

Bass - not so clear. Some dynamic drums seem bigger w/ more impact. Other longer sustain things like electric bass seem more veiled. Is that a case of what's above changing making what's below which hasn't changed seem worse, or did the bass actually get more veiled.

I did a lot of A B vs my HE-500 and unlike the past when the HEX was too fey - the HE-500 seemed too thick and sweet in the mids. We all know it is, but it wasn't pushed in my face before the same way. Still like my heavily modded HE-500 bass more, and there is something about those sweetly ringing highs in the 500, not quite right, but more personality.

In order to get the HEX v2 punchier in the bass I may try to put some blue tack on the back between the slats. I'll wrap it in two sided tape to keep the slats and screening from getting gucked up, I'll use some of the Fostex reams of data on mods to the back sreen for inspiration.

I must emphasize again the Dekoni Nuggets are a major find for use with the HEX. Tried with the HE-500. No. Too much side pressure on the cups, and decreases coupling of pads to head.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #3,770 of 4,030
I have played with blutack on the back grill. I tried a half dollar size centered over the widest part of the membrane. Big rise in mid-bass -> upper bass... no no - lose that sense of transparency and flatness. Tried 4 small ball shaped bits (size of a 1/4 dime each) in a diamond pattern touching barely each other centered the same way. Better, but not good. I'll need test equipment to see if I can add to < 75 Hz w/o raising the range above. Those Fostex folks that modify away give me hope its possible.

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #3,771 of 4,030
Having glanced through the Utopia thread, I find myself reconsidering again, and am now leaning towards a used HEX v2 as the best progress path from the HE4XX.
Given my audiophile journey started with the HE6, and having a love-hate relationship with HiFiMAN ever since, I think it is only fitting to find myself back here. I probably deserve all that comes with that :beerchug::beyersmile:

Lovely thread this, BTW! Rutter's journey has been quite something to follow and all the romanticizing about the HEX has been enjoyable to read :o2smile:

With that said. I love classical (of the movies / videogames soundtrack vein). rock, electronica, hybrids, pop and most genres in and far between. Will I be well treated by the HEX?

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #3,772 of 4,030
Having glanced through the Utopia thread, I find myself reconsidering again, and am now leaning towards a used HEX v2 as the best progress path from the HE4XX.
Given my audiophile journey started with the HE6, and having a love-hate relationship with HiFiMAN ever since, I think it is only fitting to find myself back here. I probably deserve all that comes with that :beerchug::beyersmile:

Lovely thread this, BTW! Rutter's journey has been quite something to follow and all the romanticizing about the HEX has been enjoyable to read :o2smile:

With that said. I love classical (of the movies / videogames soundtrack vein). rock, electronica, hybrids, pop and most genres in and far between. Will I be well treated by the HEX?

The HEX v2 is not overly dynamic, it doesn't have that hard hitting bass of the HE-6. I find a lot of soundtracks have lots of dynamics (ever hear "The Missouri Breaks"? that's dynamic. It's also not overly detailed like say a HD-800S. It does not like to play LOUD. However it's very coherent, transparent, easy to listen too. It seems to like silver cables, and those Dekoni Nuggets (you want the cups up as high as possible to enhance the treble/detail). Nice soundstage, tall and fairly wide. Comfy. Nice to look at lying on a table, even with a big head like mine, they are a bit funny to look at on the head.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #3,773 of 4,030
The HEX v2 is not overly dynamic, it doesn't have that hard hitting bass of the HE-6. I find a lot of soundtracks have lots of dynamics (ever hear "The Missouri Breaks"? that's dynamic. It's also not overly detailed like say a HD-800S. It does not like to play LOUD. However it's very coherent, transparent, easy to listen too. It seems to like silver cables, and those Dekoni Nuggets (you want the cups up as high as possible to enhance the treble/detail). Nice soundstage, tall and fairly wide. Comfy. Nice to look at lying on a table, even with a big head like mine, they are a bit funny to look at on the head.
That sounds okay. I am not looking for a headphone like the HE6, otherwise I would have kept it :] But if it is satisfactorily better than the HE4XX I'll proably be satisfied with it.
The 4XX is a little soft too, so if it is just a smidgen more dynamic than that I'll be happy
Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #3,774 of 4,030
That sounds okay. I am not looking for a headphone like the HE6, otherwise I would have kept it :] But if it is satisfactorily better than the HE4XX I'll proably be happy with it.
Thanks for the reply!

I have the 4xx. Not flat, swaggering mid bass makes up for lack of low bass. Some bright spots in the treble. Good value at $170 new, bargain used in good shape. Not good classical phone, HD-600 much better IMO - esp on the BH Crack. HEX v2 is about 2 big steps ahead of the 4xx.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #3,775 of 4,030
I have the 4xx. Not flat, swaggering mid bass makes up for lack of low bass. Some bright spots in the treble. Good value at $170 new, bargain used in good shape. Not good classical phone, HD-600 much better IMO - esp on the BH Crack. HEX v2 is about 2 big steps ahead of the 4xx.
Thanks! I maintain it is a bargain for the money, even among the budget kings. A little limpy bass and a bit wonky in the treble, but nothing majorly wrong with it and as such I've gotten used to it and grown to like it, especially given the price / performance.
What you say makes me excited for sure! Is there anything you think the HE4XX does better and would it be a logical upgrade? I'll probably end up doing a comparison between the two if I do go for the HEX v2

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #3,776 of 4,030
Thanks! I maintain it is a bargain for the money, even among the budget kings. A little limpy bass and a bit wonky in the treble, but nothing majorly wrong with it and as such I've gotten used to it and grown to like it, especially given the price / performance.
What you say makes me excited for sure! Is there anything you think the HE4XX does better and would it be a logical upgrade? I'll probably end up doing a comparison between the two if I do go for the HEX v2

What's the amp? DAC? I think the 4xx can do some recordings better. Like say pre Quadrophenia Who, I think the 4xx would probably rock it better. You have to get the cups of the HEX right up under your ear (like touching) use a balled up sock, pillowcase - whatever, if you let them hang low you'll wonder where the heck the detail and treble went. Then twist them forward and backward slowly to get the best seal to your head (helps the bass get down to 20 Hz). Those are big cups and you can't assure the best fit by just tossing them on.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #3,777 of 4,030
What's the amp? DAC? I think the 4xx can do some recordings better. Like say pre Quadrophenia Who, I think the 4xx would probably rock it better. You have to get the cups of the HEX right up under your ear (like touching) use a balled up sock, pillowcase - whatever, if you let them hang low you'll wonder where the heck the detail and treble went. Then twist them forward and backward slowly to get the best seal to your head (helps the bass get down to 20 Hz). Those are big cups and you can't assure the best fit by just tossing them on.
Right. I don't remember there being so much fussing about cup placement with the HEK though... Interesting.
I'll consider the Dekoni Nuggets and a more flexible cable to boot.
I have the R2R11 and it's been magnificent with every headphone I've thrown at it, so I am not worried there!

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #3,778 of 4,030
Right. I don't remember there being so much fussing about cup placement with the HEK though... Interesting.
I'll consider the Dekoni Nuggets and a more flexible cable to boot.
I have the R2R11 and it's been magnificent with every headphone I've thrown at it, so I am not worried there!

HEK has a lot more treble and detail then the HEX v2.

Also the HEX v2 runs on very little juice, I'd wager a fair amount put out for sale were damaged by the seller with too much juice.

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #3,779 of 4,030

Also the HEX v2 runs on very little juice, I'd wager a fair amount put out for sale were damaged by the seller with too much juice.
... which should have nothing to do with placement? If a headphone has more detail it'll present it just the same if placed properly on one's head. Does that mean the HEX has to compensate by being worn in an unnatural way to sound any good? That sounds rather bizarre!
I also do hope the pair I get won't be blown to bits. I'll let trader feedback govern :]
I am still not sure what to make of the sound signature compared to the 4XX though. Is the HEX worse for rock given given its presentation? Do genres like classical and anything explosive (like drops) suffer because of that too? Just wondering :triportsad:

Aug 23, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #3,780 of 4,030

... which should have nothing to do with placement? If a headphone has more detail it'll present it just the same if placed properly on one's head. Does that mean the HEX has to compensate by being worn in an unnatural way to sound any good? That sounds rather bizarre!
I also do hope the pair I get won't be blown to bits. I'll let trader feedback govern :]
I am still not sure what to make of the sound signature compared to the 4XX though. Is the HEX worse for rock given given its presentation? Do genres like classical and anything explosive (like drops) suffer because of that too? Just wondering :triportsad:

There is nothing unnatural about the way I say the HEX v2 should be placed. I believe have found where they sound the best. Someone who thinks LCD2's have a great treble probably wouldn't care, but I do care. I think the HEK V1 is treble happy, needs an EQ to be able to deal with that - I'd say an EQ is more invasive and unnatural then a locating the best fit for a set of cans.
I think the HFM engineers have a record of making great drivers and crummy enclosures and furthermore not trying to maximize everything around the driver. This is why IMO so many do mods to the HE-500 and HE-6 - to tremendous effect if done correctly. My mods for the HEX v2: silver cable, nuggets, adjust. See my sig for what I do to my HE-500's (a lot more).

The HEX is much better than the 4xx. But my guess in fairly undynamic recordings of dynamic music the colorations of the 4xx would help ma sound more punchy. I mostly listen to ensembles of 4-8 instruments, many female vocalists, many top drawer recordings, jazz, chamber rock, classical (Prokofiev, Copeland, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back