Hifiman Edition X
Apr 16, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,720 of 4,030
I am looking for an upgrade from my HE-400i. I am confused between Edition X and Audeze LCD-2. I like the sound of HE-400i, except it has bit harsh treble (to me). Any suggestions would be great​.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,721 of 4,030
I am looking for an upgrade from my HE-400i. I am confused between Edition X and Audeze LCD-2. I like the sound of HE-400i, except it has bit harsh treble (to me). Any suggestions would be great​.

LCD 2 is more musical, has better body, trash soundstage, one of the best bass and midrange. The presentation is a bit grainy. It also needs a decent amplifier to shine.

HEX has a relatively lean midrange which has decent body but does not compare with the LCD 2. It has a superb soundstage and a very airy presentation. It is also more resolving. It sounds good with any portable source but on portable sources, the bass sucks especially compared to the LCD 2. HEX just destroys the LCD 2 in terms of soundstage.
HEX also has a very annoying 8kHz peak which makes it very fatiguing. I personally couldn't listen to it for more than 2 hours. This might not be  a problem if you are older and are not Treble sensitive. If you are younger, this headphone is very fatiguing.

To summarize
LCD 2
+One of the best bass.
+Godly midrange
-Soundstage sucks
-Treble sucks
-Grainy presentation
-Needs amp

HEX
+Soundstage
+Airy presentation
+One of the best female vocals
-8Khz peak
-Body is average
-Bass is very average on portable sources but improves with better amp
-Decent midrange

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #2,722 of 4,030
I am 26 years old and I am bit treble sensitive. I found same for HE-400i, harsh treble and female vocals sounds better. Probably that's HiFiMan signature. I am looking for bit smoother treble. Then I should consider a used LCD-3 or Mrspeakers Ether.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #2,723 of 4,030
I am 26 years old and I am bit treble sensitive. I found same for HE-400i, harsh treble and female vocals sounds better. Probably that's HiFiMan signature. I am looking for bit smoother treble. Then I should consider a used LCD-3 or Mrspeakers Ether.

what amp/dac u using with 400i ?
my guess is , many people using schiit stack with hifiman and many of them has problem with upper mid

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #2,724 of 4,030

I am 20 and extremely Treble sensitive, unusually so. Audeze LCD is the way to go if you want a darker warmer signature. I tried the Ether Flow but the slightly recessed mids and bright signature was not for me. Ether Flow does not have the 8Khz peak that makes the HEX annoying but the quantity of Treble was a little too much for me.

So
Go for LCD 3 if you want lush mids+best bass+darker signature
Go for Ether Flow if you want slightly V shaped + bright headphone + Bigger soundstage.

You will definitely need a amplifier with these though. What source/amp do you have?

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #2,729 of 4,030

400i is fine , the issue is schiit stack , for the headphone you can check the EDX V2 , great value much more than audeze's

I am going for Audio-gd NFB 11. Is it a good choice?
Or I may switch to iFI stack.

For HEX both will work great.

For LCD 3, audio-gd NFB11 should be enough but I doubt the iFi stack will provide enough power to drive them well.

You might also want to look at Burson Conductor for the LCD 3. Schiit Bitfrost+Agard 2/Lyr 2 works great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back