Hifiman Edition X
Nov 7, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #3,841 of 4,030
I am considering selling the HEX and the HE4XX. I'll do a large shootout this coming weekend between the three headphones I own to see which I can appreciate for what they do. Ditching Hifiman for the time being is on the table.

4XX is a "fun" can of no great consequence. But given the current price, it won't get you much (maybe a trade)?

HEX has to be the least dynamic HFM. But look at other cans that are not dynamic - many E-stats, most E-stats have not even a ghost of a chance putting out the bass or soundstage of the HEX. Loud explosive cans that seem to have a lot of detail have +10 or +12 db areas in the treble. Certainly many German cans outside of Senn fall into this space. They are also fatiguing and false. You should be able to get a good price for them.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #3,842 of 4,030
No decision to sell has been made yet, but if I do, I am still exploring many options. Clear or Utopia are one. I certainly don't want the likes of Beyerdynamic in my house.
I am actually really sad the HEX doesn't have more energy in places to make it more dynamic, given how smooth the treble is, it could easily have boosts in the likes of 100, 1000 and 6000hz and still keep that awesome smoothness, just with more dynamic grunt then... Given I did test such boosts today.
Anyway, I've come to realize my portable rig is a bit warmer and funnier while my desktop rig is tighter and more neutral. Needless to say, the former benefits the HEX a bit, but then I don't consider it portable. It'll certainly make the comparisons even more fun though.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #3,843 of 4,030
Let us know how you like the HE6 SE please :)

Well, seeing as I had a pair of HE-6 in hand and these both with MrSpeakers Ether Angled pads I can say (cables different) that the HE-6 and the HE6SE are not the same headphone. I have 30 hrs break-in and I've listened to some of my bass cuts (long sustain, and quick transients). Using the same amp and DAC and Coax cable. Not once were my eyes closed shut by the HE-6. There is very little or no sub bass. The treble could be better w/ the HE6SE, less sibilant, more room for subtle things.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #3,844 of 4,030
Well, seeing as I had a pair of HE-6 in hand and these both with MrSpeakers Ether Angled pads I can say (cables different) that the HE-6 and the HE6SE are not the same headphone. I have 30 hrs break-in and I've listened to some of my bass cuts (long sustain, and quick transients). Using the same amp and DAC and Coax cable. Not once were my eyes closed shut by the HE-6. There is very little or no sub bass. The treble could be better w/ the HE6SE, less sibilant, more room for subtle things.
So you got the HE6 SE already? When you say no sub bass are you talking about the SE or the original HE6?

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #3,845 of 4,030
So you got the HE6 SE already? When you say no sub bass are you talking about the SE or the original HE6?

The HE6SE isn't doing sub bass, but I'll keep running it til at least 150 hrs before I get worried.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #3,846 of 4,030
The HE6SE isn't doing sub bass, but I'll keep running it til at least 150 hrs before I get worried.
Not surprising. Getting sub bass properly integrated into a signature is challenging and because so much music features prominent bass above the sub bass registers, I think headphone companies have been able to get away with tunings where sub bass is at best a nod with no substance. Where would you situate the HEX2 sub bass compared with the HE6SE? I loved the sub bass presentation of the Sony Z1R.

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #3,847 of 4,030
Wow that's surprising. I thought it was known for it's highs and bass.......mids not so much. Is the midbasss at least punchy?

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #3,848 of 4,030
Not surprising. Getting sub bass properly integrated into a signature is challenging and because so much music features prominent bass above the sub bass registers, I think headphone companies have been able to get away with tunings where sub bass is at best a nod with no substance. Where would you situate the HEX2 sub bass compared with the HE6SE? I loved the sub bass presentation of the Sony Z1R.

As of now the HEX v2 has more, it starts to drop a bit above 20, but goes to about 15 Hz. However it's a gentlemens bass, it doesn't grunt. The HE6SE grunts, but that wild animal that the HE-6 can become is not there. It's got about 30 hrs on it now. I've heard some very nice mids and highs today - subtle, excellent timbre. Its clearly better than the HE-500 including all of my mods. It's brasher than my HEX v2, but there are a few things the HEX v2 does that isn't matched - yet.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #3,849 of 4,030
As of now the HEX v2 has more, it starts to drop a bit above 20, but goes to about 15 Hz. However it's a gentlemens bass, it doesn't grunt. The HE6SE grunts, but that wild animal that the HE-6 can become is not there. It's got about 30 hrs on it now. I've heard some very nice mids and highs today - subtle, excellent timbre. Its clearly better than the HE-500 including all of my mods. It's brasher than my HEX v2, but there are a few things the HEX v2 does that isn't matched - yet.
So it sounds like the HEX2 and HE6SE will be different enough regardless that there is a case for why one could entertain having both in their collection. Look forward to future impressions. The only reason that I would even entertain acquiring an HE6SE is to add a planar style bass presentation that was significantly more impactful than the HEX2. Saying that, I do find the HEX2 provides very satisfying bass, even if the impact is diminished as say compared with a TH900 or Sony Z1R presentation (both of which I have owned).

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #3,850 of 4,030
Wow that's surprising. I thought it was known for it's highs and bass.......mids not so much. Is the midbasss at least punchy?

It's got over 30 hours on it, and the personality hasn't changed yet. It's clearly more civilized then the HE-6. So big fans of the HE-6 unmodified - those that pay a bit for the raucous treble, but have great pride of ownership over the bass, it's difficulties and expense. It's a bit of a cult. Those folks won't like this version.

The bass is potent, better then HE-500, and less thick, good dynamics. Nice. WAIT! WHAT! Yes, no club your teeth out bass, no make your eyes close shut involuntarily bass. Mid bass is quite effective and good. I'm very sensitive to under damped or too much energy there, and it's good.

The treble is nicer, mellower, not nearly as acrid as the HE-6 can be. But was something lost? On the HE-6 you sometimes get this detail over detail with more details thrust out at you - your brain tries to parse it all realtime - and fails.

The mids are close I believe, overall its flatter than the V shape of the HE-6 (not extreme, but a bit)

I think the whole package has been re-tuned or de-tuned (as if Disney bought HFM). Easier to live with, more coherent, less spiky. But to the single malt (Laphroaig I'd wager - or perhaps Oban) drinking HE-6 fans I predict it will be seen as a betrayal and or inferior.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #3,851 of 4,030
So it sounds like the HEX2 and HE6SE will be different enough regardless that there is a case for why one could entertain having both in their collection. Look forward to future impressions. The only reason that I would even entertain acquiring an HE6SE is to add a planar style bass presentation that was significantly more impactful than the HEX2. Saying that, I do find the HEX2 provides very satisfying bass, even if the impact is diminished as say compared with a TH900 or Sony Z1R presentation (both of which I have owned).

I've got the HE6SE, HEX v2, HE-500, HE5LE, HE5SE, MD 4XX.

I've loved the HE-500 and spent a lot of time and money on maxing it out, the HE6SE is a better can. And both are very different from the HEX v2. I know I'm keeping both and probably the HE-500 for the memories.

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #3,852 of 4,030
Just came in yesterday, these are amazing in detail and delivery.
IMG_20191108_101317835.jpg
IMG_20191107_164603811.jpg

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #3,853 of 4,030
I've been listening for around 2 hours today and just haven't been able to put the HEX down.
Acoustic stuff sounds sublime, vocals sound beautiful, pretty much never edgy, lots of modern stuff sounds very good and fairly punchy too, it just really depends on where the body of the sound is situated and how it is handled which in some cases really brings out the deficiencies of this headphone.
In others though, it is hardly noticeable.
This has been most problematic in rock and genres with fast, tight bass where the tightness is emphasized.
Also noticeable in Japanese music (or rather, by Japanese composers, in my case this includes the soundtracks for Naruto, Samurai Warriors 4 and Yakuza, and RWBY on the American side of things) where I've noticed the dynamics usually aren't very emphasized, including the bass, which doesn't translate very well here. In general, very smooth music and sounds don't quite flatter this sound sig.
However, the detail retrieval and the incredible fluidity of the sound has been mighty impressive today! Loudness also plays a part, given this headphone can play loud with pretty much zero glare penalty which helps perceived dynamics.
The signature is also a blessing with anything bright and close to neutral as it pretty much equalizes all the brightness and lets the bass through nicely. Dark recordings are a weakness but those recordings (or perfectly mastered recordings for that matter) are rather rare nowadays, with regards to modern music.
More to come over the weekend :]

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #3,854 of 4,030
^ they do well with most jazz I throw at them. From pretty stuff like Krall to harder things like Miles or Weather Report. Almost all of Barber's "Cafe Blue" sounds great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back