Hifiman Edition X
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #3,826 of 4,030
I have never actually heard an HE6, but I hear it is very neutral with more impact than the HEX and HEK series. The problem is most with their current amps will not be able to hear it in it’s best.....if at all.

I think that 200 wpc thing is a bit over stated, IMO 6 wpc into 50 ohms is the max I used to get loud (program 93-94 db) and 3 wpc into 50 ohms is more than good enough most of the time.

The HEX and HEK have bass that goes low, but the raw impact feeling is muted a bit - under wraps. the HE-6 bass is like a waveform riding on a spear - SWHAP! It'll make you shut your eyes it's so intense. The highs of my HE-500 which I really like (physically almost the same as the HE-6) is missing a lot of detail compared to the 6. That treble can also be delivered with quite a large amount of authority. Never heard another can do that. The mids between the 50 and 6 are somewhat closer and the 6 isn't as forceful there - but I only had it in my system for about 30 hours - so maybe it is.

Nov 4, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,827 of 4,030
My issue with the original HE6 (driven by a speaker amp) was that the dynamism of the overall sound (which I did like) also caused the treble to be very dynamic, too much so with sibilants. It was my first true hi-fi headphone, and I have very fond memories of it, but ultimately the treble dynamism / forwardness made me eventually sell it.
Has this been tamed somewhat with the HE6SE, or are all the changes merely cosmetic / construction related?

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #3,828 of 4,030
Uh oh, scratch what I just said......looks like Adorama is giving the HE6 SE away now at $699. Not sure I can go for them, because I don't have new amp money and my THX will probably barely get them to make a sound. Maybe you should look into getting them?

I've been close twice. I'm trying to sell some stuff off to keep the wife from giving me the eye.

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #3,829 of 4,030
My issue with the original HE6 (driven by a speaker amp) was that the dynamism of the overall sound (which I did like) also caused the treble to be very dynamic, too much so with sibilants. It was my first true hi-fi headphone, and I have very fond memories of it, but ultimately the treble dynamism / forwardness made me eventually sell it.
Has this been tamed somewhat with the HE6SE, or are all the changes merely cosmetic / construction related?

Yes, they say the "code sex" process took care of that, others say that the fuzzor does the job. I can't listen to them loud because of the clashing in the treble (IM) in my opinion. But quiet quintets can be quite amazing.

Lots of people say the 6SE is better than the HE-6, but, new buyers can be enthusiastic. I figure for $899 if I don't like it I can flip it. The old 6's scare me a bit, they are getting old.

Nov 4, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #3,830 of 4,030
Yes, they say the "code sex" process took care of that, others say that the fuzzor does the job. I can't listen to them loud because of the clashing in the treble (IM) in my opinion. But quiet quintets can be quite amazing.

Lots of people say the 6SE is better than the HE-6, but, new buyers can be enthusiastic. I figure for $899 if I don't like it I can flip it. The old 6's scare me a bit, they are getting old.
Right. Well, the HE6SE has exactly the same driver as the original HE6 (per Moon-audio's website) so any change would come from the earpads, which in all likelihood won't tame the highs all that much.
Which to me means that for better or worse, the original signature should be pretty much intact.

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #3,831 of 4,030
Right. Well, the HE6SE has exactly the same driver as the original HE6 (per Moon-audio's website) so any change would come from the earpads, which in all likelihood won't tame the highs all that much.
Which to me means that for better or worse, the original signature should be pretty much intact.

Well, I read that too. I can believe the traces are the same. But the thickness (mil) of the membrane? Mylar used by HFM has changed a lot since the days of the HE-6, not just the thickness, but the thickness of magnetized layer and its magnetic qualities. Pads, cable, headband all different too.

Some people that know both tend to say the bass isn't as prominent on the HE6SE.

I'm still upset that the HE5SE was not the HE-4, HE-5, or the HE5LE - no resemblance whatever - no wonder its seldom been reviewed by commercial reviewers. Its not as good as the Sundara or the HE5LE.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #3,832 of 4,030
The HEX2 handles some equalization very well so easy to add in a little more perceptual detail. I don't want to shift it very much anyway as I really like the tonality as is. It is a signature that I anticipate keeping in my collection. It just offers so much that I know from experience to chase that audio dragon around and get better I would likely have to spend at least $2000 which is not something I want to do anytime soon. I have a good compliment of headphones right now. Certainly room in my collection, but for now I am pretty spoiled anyway.

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #3,833 of 4,030
The HEX2 handles some equalization very well so easy to add in a little more perceptual detail. I don't want to shift it very much anyway as I really like the tonality as is. It is a signature that I anticipate keeping in my collection. It just offers so much that I know from experience to chase that audio dragon around and get better I would likely have to spend at least $2000 which is not something I want to do anytime soon. I have a good compliment of headphones right now. Certainly room in my collection, but for now I am pretty spoiled anyway.

I'm at the same point. Just ordered the HE6SE, to go with the HEX v2, HE500, and HD-600. Don't think the Arya or Clear is enough of a step up, so it's E2 or beyond - and that's a bridge too far for some time.

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #3,834 of 4,030
I'm at the same point. Just ordered the HE6SE, to go with the HEX v2, HE500, and HD-600. Don't think the Arya or Clear is enough of a step up, so it's E2 or beyond - and that's a bridge too far for some time.
Let us know how you like the HE6 SE please :)

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #3,835 of 4,030
I am considering selling the HEX and the HE4XX. I'll do a large shootout this coming weekend between the three headphones I own to see which I can appreciate for what they do. Ditching Hifiman for the time being is on the table.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #3,836 of 4,030
I am considering selling the HEX and the HE4XX. I'll do a large shootout this coming weekend between the three headphones I own to see which I can appreciate for what they do. Ditching Hifiman for the time being is on the table.
Dude, from love to kicking them out the door in two weeks? What's going on?

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #3,837 of 4,030
Dude, from love to kicking them out the door in two weeks? What's going on?
It's the lack of dynamics that just makes me question whether I can enjoy the headphones as is.

My portable headphones have great energy and dynamism and listening to them makes me question whether I can sacrifice that and appreciate the other things the HEX does really well.

Again, I think a large scale focused listening is what it takes to decide one way or another so I'll do that over the weekend, In order to give the HEX a fairer chance and justice through a long listening session.

I think that's the best thing to do and see what that does

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #3,838 of 4,030
It's the lack of dynamics that just makes me question whether I can enjoy the headphones as is.

My portable headphones have great energy and dynamism and listening to them makes me question whether I can sacrifice that and appreciate the other things the HEX does really well.

Again, I think a large scale focused listening is what it takes to decide one way or another so I'll do that over the weekend, In order to give the HEX a fairer chance and justice through a long listening session.

Have you tried changing your DAC Filter? For my Ananda and 560 I’ll use Slow 1, or Slow 2. For my HEX V2, I would love trying a Fast DAC setting, but my 788 does not have any Fast settings. In my opinion, the HEX V2 could use a Fast DAC setting as, in my opinion, the sound sometimes bleeds and folds on top of each other and I think a Fast DAC Filter setting would solve this. From my perspective, illuminate the bleed and folding, and the dynamics should emerge as they just might be buried under the bleeding and folding.

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #3,839 of 4,030

Fair enough, and only we know what is right for us. Personally I actually really like, maybe even prefer the slight step back in dynamics as it really makes things more palatable with rough recordings, and well done material contains enough dynamics for me that even dialed back a little, and to be clear, I don't find the dynamics greatly restrained, but even dialed back, the HEX2 works for me. Each to their own. Interestingly enough I found the HD650 too restrained and sold it, but that was a number of years back now. Perhaps today it would appeal more to me?

I personally find with the crazy amount of digital recording technology, and mastering effects being done now that recordings are often too dynamic so that likely locates me in terms of what I respond to. Long ago I gave up wanting to hear ever sliver of detail, but I do actually get that for many if not most people, increased dynamic rendering is the goal. Lucky for us there are so many great choices that nobody needs to settle for a signature that doesn't move them. Sounds to me like the Utopia might be your cup of tea.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #3,840 of 4,030
Well said! I agree with you and you summarized what I thought and agree with really well :)

I am looking forward to an exciting weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back