Hifiman Edition X
Oct 28, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #3,811 of 4,030
Welcome, great first post, and great headphone. You're in for a treat for sure. I had actually ordered a Sundara from Amazon and then suddenly a shot at a mint, literally almost new HEX2 came up so I cancelled the Amazon order before they shipped and have been loving the HEX2 ever since. I also owned (and loved) the HE560 (original first series with the SMC cup connectors) and the HE400i. Looking forward to your input versus the Ananda, which from all accounts should sound closer to the HE560 (more detail focused). Let us know how things shake out and many happy posts to come for you. Cheers.
Welcome, great first post, and great headphone. You're in for a treat for sure. I had actually ordered a Sundara from Amazon and then suddenly a shot at a mint, literally almost new HEX2 came up so I cancelled the Amazon order before they shipped and have been loving the HEX2 ever since. I also owned (and loved) the HE560 (original first series with the SMC cup connectors) and the HE400i. Looking forward to your input versus the Ananda, which from all accounts should sound closer to the HE560 (more detail focused). Let us know how things shake out and many happy posts to come for you. Cheers.

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. I am also very interested in the A/B of the HEX V2 / Ananda and really hope the Ananda is the "tear drop style" and "improvement" of the HE560 as I really enjoy the HE560 a lot. I also find myself liking the Sundara more and more, which is saying a lot as I really like this headphone a lot as well. To my ears, the Sundara got BIGGER in sound with time as the bass, mid's, and highs seemed to just "explode" a few weeks ago and I'm thinking this was break-in as the sound just grew, and it grew by a lot, which was nice. I always thought the Sundara was very nice, but needed a very little bit more bass and thought the high end was a little rolled off, but no more, WOW, that explosion (break-in maybe) really fixed all of that and it was, "Okay, which is my go to, the HE560 or the Sundara?" I'm looking forward to posting my A/B observations and hope my notes help others that are on the fence wondering what, if anything, they should buy. Thanks again for your warm welcome.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #3,812 of 4,030
I am happy you've finally joined us :]
Welcome; hope you'll feel at home here and we're all looking forward to some Hifiman comparisons, seeing you presently own so many of them! :beerchug:

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,813 of 4,030
The HEX V2 is a really good headphone and I actually wished Hifiman would have improved on it with a higher resolution revision instead of going the Ananda route. Even with the HEK SE, I am reluctant to part with my HEX. It still is my main travel HP.

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #3,814 of 4,030
The HEX V2 is a really good headphone and I actually wished Hifiman would have improved on it with a higher resolution revision instead of going the Ananda route. Even with the HEK SE, I am reluctant to part with my HEX. It still is my main travel HP.
I was contemplating the HEK SE as a possible future headphone at some point. Would you kindly point out some key differences between the two? I'd appreciate it greatly :)

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #3,815 of 4,030
I was contemplating the HEK SE as a possible future headphone at some point. Would you kindly point out some key differences between the two? I'd appreciate it greatly :)

The SE is a lot more resolving with a little more of an analytical sound. It has better imaging capabilities, with a more 3D image. More present subbass and a more detailed bass response. There is more detail throughout the midrange into the treble. The SE is also a little brighter to go along with that analytical sound and is far less forgiving of bad source material than the HEX. It is a better all around headphone......as it should be for the price, whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Hope that helps.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #3,816 of 4,030
Thanks!

Given the HEX pretty much has the perfect response save for a bit of energy in the low and high midrange (as suggested by sonic defender, that's around 1k and 6k) and my disappointment with the HEK v1 (the sound was very good but the treble peak was too much for me),

I reckon everything pricier pretty much warrants an audition prior to commuting to a purchase. So anything more expensive than, say half a grand and that doesn't have a safe signature (all other high end HFM) I won't purchase blindly anymore.

It's good that we have Canjams and places to listen to phones :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #3,817 of 4,030

I think the membrane is thicker than the HEK, Ananda, Arya. No proof, just surmise. It's a unique can. Glad to have it.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #3,818 of 4,030
I think the membrane is thicker than the HEK, Ananda, Arya. No proof, just surmise. It's a unique can. Glad to have it.
As you know a great can. Just wished they would give it a new driver with the same general tonal balance but with better resolution. Who knows maybe that's the Ananda V2?

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #3,819 of 4,030
As you know a great can. Just wished they would give it a new driver with the same general tonal balance but with better resolution. Who knows maybe that's the Ananda V2?

My theory is that the Ananda uses a thinner membrane, so you get more definition, but more amusical stuff is added in the treble.

I think HFM has a ridiculous profit margin, and they could sell the HEKSE for what they get for the Ananda, but, they won't and they won't bring all the technology down, because it would kill the market for the stuff above. Typical behavior - they aren't a charity.

The only killer deal they have is the closing out price of the HE6SE - $895; solid deals: Sundara, and on the side the Drop 4XX

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #3,820 of 4,030
My theory is that the Ananda uses a thinner membrane, so you get more definition, but more amusical stuff is added in the treble.

I think HFM has a ridiculous profit margin, and they could sell the HEKSE for what they get for the Ananda, but, they won't and they won't bring all the technology down, because it would kill the market for the stuff above. Typical behavior - they aren't a charity.

The only killer deal they have is the closing out price of the HE6SE - $895; solid deals: Sundara, and on the side the Drop 4XX
I agree.

Sadly none of the other ones sound as smooth as the HEX.

The general consensus seems to be that an HEX with a bit more energy in the 60hz, 2k and 6k area would be a killer headphone. I agree and think that's really all it'd take.
And nicer pads I suppose... They aren't even memory foam and not very deep either.

Whether the HEK SE is that I don't know, but I'd wager it generally has more treble adjustments than that.

I do really enjoy the HEX, but it did have potential to be pretty much perfected with little work.

But then HFM would be cannibalizing itself I suppose.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #3,821 of 4,030

It's funny but I noticed Hifiman has not come out it any new product in over a year other than the Ananda BT. No V2's or any other new headphones. Are they slowing down.......are the sales drying up?

Unfortunately, the HE6 is no real bargain and the reason for that crazy sale is that it requires a lot more powerful amp to PROPERLY drive it than most have. So while you are getting $1,800 headphones for $895. You will probably spend the balance on a new amp to drive it if you do not already have one. You have a Ragnarok.....you're good. My little THX just wouldn't do the job.

I agree.

The general consensus seems to be that an HEX with a bit more energy in the 60hz, 2k and 6k area would be a killer headphone. I agree and think that's really all it'd take.
And nicer pads I suppose... They aren't even memory foam and not very deep either.

Whether the HEK SE is that I don't know, but I'd wager it generally has more treble adjustments than that.

I do really enjoy the HEX, but it did have potential to be pretty much perfected with little work.

The SE is brighter than the HEX. They probably had to add a little more high end to go along with the very increased resolution.

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #3,822 of 4,030
I agree.

It'll work out, in about 5 years we'll see a HE Edition XSE, first I want a HE-500SE (with good cables!, good pads, and lighter weight). But not a fake like the HE5SE - which is nothing like the HE-5 or HE5LE)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #3,823 of 4,030
It's funny but I noticed Hifiman has not come out it any new product in over a year other than the Ananda BT. No V2's or any other new headphones. Are they slowing down.......are the sales drying up?

Unfortunately, the HE6 is no real bargain and the reason for that crazy sale is that it requires a lot more powerful amp to PROPERLY drive it than most have. So while you are getting $1,800 headphones for $895. You will probably spend the balance on a new amp to drive it if you do not already have one. You have a Ragnarok.....you're good. My little THX just wouldn't do the job.

The SE is brighter than the HEX. They probably had to add a little more high end to go along with the very increased resolution.

That series (HE-6, HE-500) has more sparkle (a.k.a. ringing) than the HEX, and HEK series. The HE-4, HE-5, HE5LE have even more (earlier). HFM has tamed the ringing pretty well. but that HE-6 has a way of kicking out the sound in a way that is totally arresting. I do get the idea that all planar designers are on the knife edge deciding between various pros/cons - and that maybe only the top cans have hit "it", then I realize all audio playback is pretty much working the same territory.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #3,824 of 4,030
That series (HE-6, HE-500) has more sparkle (a.k.a. ringing) than the HEX, and HEK series. The HE-4, HE-5, HE5LE have even more (earlier). HFM has tamed the ringing pretty well. but that HE-6 has a way of kicking out the sound in a way that is totally arresting. I do get the idea that all planar designers are on the knife edge deciding between various pros/cons - and that maybe only the top cans have hit "it", then I realize all audio playback is pretty much working the same territory.
I have never actually heard an HE6, but I hear it is very neutral with more impact than the HEX and HEK series. The problem is most with their current amps will not be able to hear it in it’s best.....if at all.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3,825 of 4,030
Uh oh, scratch what I just said......looks like Adorama is giving the HE6 SE away now at $699. Not sure I can go for them, because I don't have new amp money and my THX will probably barely get them to make a sound. Maybe you should look into getting them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back