HiFiMan Edition X and Cardas A8 loaner programs!
May 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #61 of 69
Not a official member of the TTVJ loaner program, but just got hold of a pair of Cardas A8s and they are a excellent sounding iem for people looking for a warm and musical sound with killer bass and relaxed treble. Whoever is left to receive these on Todd's list will be in for a treat if that's the sort of sound you go for. Enjoy!

May 19, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #62 of 69
In December I signed up for the HEX loaner program. I was informed the headphones are on their way to me! WooHoo! What a lovely surprise.

Thanks Todd!

May 20, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #63 of 69
Not an official member of this loaner program, but just popped up my impressions of the A8 in the Head Gear section so thought it might be of interest:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cardas-a8-ear-speaker/reviews/16031

As always, trying to improve my review writing skills (such as they are!) so any feedback or suggestions very much appreciated. Really enjoyed listening to these - brilliant musical take on what an IEM should sound like. Whoever is left to receive these on the tour will be in for a treat.

May 21, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #65 of 69
HiFiMan Edition X (HEX) first impressions. Just got them today.

1. Setup:
    1. Amp: Liquid Carbon (the others) and Oppo HA-1 (the HEX)
    2. Source: ALAC through iTunes
    3. DAC: Oppo HA-1 through both amps
    4. Cables: Yes :)
Impression: 
  1. Comfort
    1. not much to say. Very comfortable out of the box and after 60 minutes of listening 
  2. Cable microphonics
    1. no more or less than other TOTL headphones I own. Basically good, but no special isolation from cable noise
  3. Compared to...
    1. Audio Zenith PMx2
      1. The PMx2 (a modded Oppo PM2) is like on on-ear compared to the HEX (and the HD800). The PMx2 is still quite comfortable,       but the HEX’s leather headband is just awesome.
      2. The HEX is much closer to the PMx2 than the HD800, but even compared to the PMx2, the HEX seems rolled off on the treble
    2. HD800 with SuperDupont Resonator mod
      1. Both have huge ear pads that reach pretty far down the jaw. I have an average size noggin for a guy, and I had to set the HEX at its shortest headband setting. I cannot imagine how a person with a smaller head could use them.
      2. Both are comfortable, but the HEX’s leather suspension headband is more comfortable to me than the hard headband of the HD800.
      3. The HEX seems less forward than the HD800. To me, the HEX has a fuller sound, but the HD800 sounds more detailed in the treble region. The HEX is rolled off compared to the HD800
      4. My ears touch the driver fabric not eh HEX. The pads could be a tad deeper.
    3. Dire Straights, Telegraph Road (1996 SMB Remaster)
      1. Treble: 
        1. Very detailed - easy to distinguish instruments
        2. Not harsh at all
      2. Bass
        1. Wow. Very tights. Very impactful. Seems to reach down deep
        2. The rumble in the beginning of song can be felt
        3. There is prominent drum play in this song, and the HEX provides for a very enjoyable, impactful, tight bass reproduction. 
      3. Overall, a very smooth delivery, but missing treble detail.
      4. The vocals are very recessed on the HEX compared to the PMx2
    4. Let It Be Me by Inger Marie Gundersen
      1. The percussion in the beginning has great feeling and emotion with the HEX
      2. The piano doesn’t sound right. Maybe too much treble roll-off on the HEX. Sounds better with the HD800
      3. Female vocal is breathy and very smooth on both. Maybe a bit better with the HEX
      4. Trumpet is also a bit too smooth on the HEX. Doesn’t have the bite that it does on the HD800
      5. The whole treble region of the percussion (cymbals, high hats, whatever then are called) are quite rolled off on the hex.
    5. Take Five - Time Out [2012 AP SACD 16-44])
      1. At the risk of repeating myself, the rolled off treble really is apparent in Take Five. There are only four instruments, and the percussion and piano is pervasive. The percussion especially just sounds wrong on the HEX.
      2. Because of the rolled of treble, soundstage is off too. Take Five is a great sound stage song for me, and because of the lack of detailed treble, the stage isn’t as believable as it is on the HD800
      3. Even compared to the PMx2, the HEX is quite rolled off. There’s a lot of high hats about 2:10 into the song, and the PMx2 delivers them beautifully. I can just see the drummer hunched over the brass plates tapping them. I don’t get that with the HEX. 
    6. Hotel California -  Hell Freezes Over
      1. This is a better song for the HEX as the strong drums and the guitar int he beginning have great emotion, if not the detail they have not he HD800. Emotion/impact is what’s needed here.
      2. The HD800’s have a little sibilance in this song, the HEX smooths it out, but at the expense of detail
    7. Royals - Lorde
      1. Pretty much the same as above. The sub bass is really sweet. This song doesn’t have much treble detail, so the HEX just shines with it. 
      2. The female vocals are quite smooth,which some may or may not like.
    8. Unaccompanied Cello Suite No.2 in D Minor, BWV 1008 - Courante - Bach
      1. The hex is smooth and the cans tremble with the right stroke of the bow
      2. But, the HD800 sound more realistic. You can hear the bow on the strings with the HD800. You only hear the notes with the HEX.  
      3. I’m not saying the HEX sounds bad — it doesn’t — but it’s really rolled off compared to the HD800

The HEX is much more like the PMx2 than the HD800. To me, the HD800 was way more detailed, but that may just be the better treble the HD800 delivers. The PMx2 delivers better detail, better bass impact, and better sound stage. The HEX, however, is very comfortable. 

That all said, I replayed the songs with the Treble Booster EQ setting (slightly reduced from what Apple recommends) , and the HEX sounds wonderful! You get all the bass impact, the comfort, and now the detail is there and the sound stage opens up. My ears still touch the driver fabric a tiny bit, and I’m not thrilled about that, but there is no pressure on the top of the noggin; I love that. It’s quite a toss up between he PMx2 and the HEX (equalized) 

Might just be brain burn in, but I still like my T1 for general listening, but I reach for the HD800 quite often. I don’t seem to reach for the PMx2 that much. The HEX is growing on me, but with a slight treble boost, the HEX has a whole lot going for it. Comfort. Speed, Detail, Bass impact.

Only final note on first impression. The bass impact might be a little too much. Not sure. I need more time. Obviously I’m not a bass head. Maybe that is why I prefer the T1 and the HD800.

May 26, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #66 of 69
Apologies to all for my delayed posting here--I had one of the HEX loaners a couple months ago. Unfortunately, things got crazy for me at work while I had them, and, well, suffice to say it looks like Allanmarcus, in forming his "first impressions," already listened to them more than I got the chance to in total. Oh well, stuff happens.

So, my significantly less-detailed thoughts, in case they might be helpful for anyone:

Build quality, as I saw it, was good. They felt sturdy, they looked great, the cables were nice, the box was nice. This is clearly a premium product, and while there's always room for improvement, I certainly wouldn't feel like I was getting less than my money's worth if I opened the box and found the HEX and its cables inside.

Wow, are these big. My head is big, but this headband, even at its smallest adjustment, is almost too big for me. It just feels like they're sitting too low. Maybe that has to do with how big the cups are, and I got over it even in my brief time with them, but it's something to be aware of.

That being said, they were light-weight and quite comfortable once I got past the sense that they might fall off (they never did and they probably weren't even close to it). 

I listened to them a bit directly through my phone (a Note 5) and a bit through a Modi and Lyr. I didn't get enough time to do any direct A/B listening, so I can't comfortably make a comparison, but I will say that I didn't feel like either setup was problematic. I listened to a bit of rock, a bit of country/bluegrass, and a bit of classical--aside from perhaps being a bit bass-heavy for my taste (totally un-EQ'd), I had no complaints about the sound quality. That, for me, is fairly high praise; again, though, my time with them was limited and I wasn't really able to get any sort of "brain burn-in" going on, nor was I able to test them with any particularly difficult tracks to highlight any trouble spots. It's entirely possible that they're better than I realized, or that they're worse than I thought.

My final thought, as I was boxing them up to forward to the next listener, was that I would definitely consider these an option for an at-home daily driver, but they hadn't given me any sort of immediate, oh-my-god-these-are-it reaction that would make them the obvious pick. I guess another way to put that: I think these would be a right choice for most people, but not necessarily the right choice.

Thanks again to Todd for so generously making these available.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #67 of 69
i'm in canada..hoping to be a part of this tour.

as per the cardas, funny thing is, a local retailer
(who also carries the more pricey $$$ JH line) 
says the cardas a8 are are among his fav iems.

would love to try 'em and see how they compare to the flc 8s and sony 7550.

and as per the hifiman well i've never tried any of their products but would love to.
my current cans are the sony 7520 and senn hd650s

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #68 of 69
Hi All,

We are opening up new loaner programs for the HiFiMan Edition X and the Cardas A8 IEM. We will be sending a pack with extra ear tips for the A8 and each loaner participant can use one pair for the audition. I ask that you keep/discard the ear tips and not send the used ones to the next people to have to deal with. So....

Loaner Program Rules:

Send your Name and address as well as a telephone number - also include your Head-Fi user name via email to me at todd@ttvjaudio.com.
You will get the loaner for 1 week to use in your home with your system. After your one week is up, you must send it to the next loaner participant. Email me (todd@ttvjaudio.com) the tracking info so I can pass it on to the recipient. Write a review and post it on Head-Fi.
Once you have received the loaner, email me to let me know you have it and I will send the address for the next person.

Todd

Pm'd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back