Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Nov 25, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #378 of 485
I feel like I'm losing substantial detail when I close the earcups, I notice it most in classical music or bass notes. They sound pretty terrible as closed backs, my brainwavz hm5 bests them in every way imaginable as a closed back. When open back the mids get more air around them but they are still pretty withdrawn with no huge change in actual quantity, they are definitely somewhat v shaped. The more I listen the more I grow to not like these headphones, this headphone is not for someone who loves mids, those who do not like vocals will argue these are not v shaped but I am willing to bet a frequency response graph would show a dip in the mids. These have big bass when open back for those who love their bass but I did not test for sub bass since I do not listen to electronic music

My ear based EQ testing says there is a dip somewhere between 1-2khz when they are open back, there is an additional dip in the upper mids too when they are closed back

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #379 of 485
Im really looking forward to buy these..im worried about the size tho

I have semi large head..will the headpand stretch easily?

Don't wanna break it day one
frown.gif

All I can say is I'm a hat size 7 7/8, give or take on brand, and it's very comfortable.  No dead headband here.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #381 of 485
Here is a rough EQ of the edition s in closed back, just follow the white line. EQed only by ear, vocals sound right again, bass is less upfront, cymbals aren't splashing in my face anymore. I don't find the edition s bright until I listen to music with cymbals.

The edition s has a lot of clamping force which those with above average head sizes will find uncomfortable. Fortunately the headband is pretty flexible and I literally just stretched the headband into a flat line and left it like that for a while. The clamping force is not too tight anymore and they are comfortable, they are the most ergonomic headphones for the top of my head I have ever used, props to hifiman for the even weight distribution on the headband which I find to be a problem with many headphones, even my trusty hd800

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #382 of 485
I actually found a review preferring the closed version better:
http://majorhifi.com/hifiman-edition-s-review/

So weird...

I think these headphones are too polarizing for headphones users.

Dec 3, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #386 of 485
I added more pictures of Edition S (White) with V-Moda cable grey

http://imgur.com/a/EbxTT

I try to show the details of the grills but I'm not a photographer

I also had black edition s but, I personally think the white one looks way better than the black one

black one had some issues like black paint on the magnetic driver scratches off and reveal the silver color which makes the headphone looks really ugly

But this white one have no issue like that and sounds the same as the black one

I'm really enjoying my EDS. I use everyday for listening music and gaming

I'll leave the link here because my account is new and they don't allow me to upload pictures here

Dec 3, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #387 of 485

That was bound to happen at some point. I guess HiFiman will start releasing custom face plates in the future. Much like what Beyerdynamic did.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #389 of 485
Maybe they will sell a backplate that converts them from 'on-ear' headphones to 'over-ear'.

No reason to be irritated, a little research lets anyone know that they're over-ear, and it's not like you don't know that it's over-ear.
Their marketing choice was poor, but it doesn't affect those of us who know that they're over-ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back