Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Nov 17, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #361 of 485
I believe so, but I think the Edition S is less harsh in the treble, especially when you take the covers off

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #362 of 485
And now the edition S Black is also for 150$ (for Americans):

https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Closed-Foldable-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B01DZQT9UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479479152&sr=8-1&keywords=hifiman+edition+s

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #363 of 485
I own the sennheiser momentum m2s and NAD HP50. I was eyeing these as well but I'm if they are worth it. Specially at 150$ or 120 if I get a deal. Are these still worth getting?

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #364 of 485
I own the sennheiser momentum m2s and NAD HP50. I was eyeing these as well but I'm if they are worth it. Specially at 150$ or 120 if I get a deal. Are these still worth getting?

I had the Momentum M1. Though the sound was good, it was a little dry imo. Let me explain. It didn't have the punch of my m100 for hip hop, and didn't have quite the crispness of my q701 for jazz and classical. It was good, but boring to me, for that reason. I have replaced it with the edition S and am very happy. Great vocals and instruments for a portable can. Even throw on some hip hop at times, and don't immediately wish I had my m100 on

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #365 of 485
I am looking for a set of decent sounding, sturdy, portable phones for my girlfriend. Comfort is paramount for her. She doesn't like my HE-5LE because they are too heavy for her. I don't notice the weight and think they are super comfortable. By contrast, she much prefers my OLD Sennheiser HD590's because they are so light. I find the 590's drivers touch my ears because the pads are worn and I don't like that... The Edition S are an on-ear design? I always prefer a larger, around the ear phone, but that's just me.She does where glasses though. What do you guys, especially with glasses, think about their long term comfort?

All else being equal, I know there are some other good deals for $150 to $200. The HE400i (which are currently sold out, not sure if that's it for black Friday or not) are surely amazing at $250 and might be sufficiently lighter than my 5LE that she would like them. But I think honestly, the extra sound quality might be lost on her. I do very much like that they are so portable, that will be very convenient for her. There's also things like a DT990, which I've heard before and liked and I think they seem pretty comfortable and durable.. AKG 70x variants start showing up around that price too and they are very good as well.

All that said, people on this thread already seem to think they're a bargain considering their performance, so that's very encouraging. She will be using them largely for gaming, so how is their sound placement? That might be the most important question about how they perform for her.

Oh yah, She'd probably spend most of her time with them plugged into either a desktop PC or laptop. I have an old Meier-Audio HA-1 I could lend her, but I think it's important to find a phone that doesn't really need an amp. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #366 of 485
The Hifiman Edition S are very comfort able. Although they're really portable, they are definitely over-ear, which makes them much more comfortable than a lot of other portable cans. They fold down pretty nicely too, and the choice between open and closed is very nice, making them very versatile. They sound very good, though I haven't used them for gaming. They also don't require a separate amp at all. I can drive these from 10 year-old phones to painful levels.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #367 of 485
  I am looking for a set of decent sounding, sturdy, portable phones for my girlfriend. Comfort is paramount for her. She doesn't like my HE-5LE because they are too heavy for her. I don't notice the weight and think they are super comfortable. By contrast, she much prefers my OLD Sennheiser HD590's because they are so light. I find the 590's drivers touch my ears because the pads are worn and I don't like that... The Edition S are an on-ear design? I always prefer a larger, around the ear phone, but that's just me.She does where glasses though. What do you guys, especially with glasses, think about their long term comfort?

All else being equal, I know there are some other good deals for $150 to $200. The HE400i (which are currently sold out, not sure if that's it for black Friday or not) are surely amazing at $250 and might be sufficiently lighter than my 5LE that she would like them. But I think honestly, the extra sound quality might be lost on her. I do very much like that they are so portable, that will be very convenient for her. There's also things like a DT990, which I've heard before and liked and I think they seem pretty comfortable and durable.. AKG 70x variants start showing up around that price too and they are very good as well.

All that said, people on this thread already seem to think they're a bargain considering their performance, so that's very encouraging. She will be using them largely for gaming, so how is their sound placement? That might be the most important question about how they perform for her.

Oh yah, She'd probably spend most of her time with them plugged into either a desktop PC or laptop. I have an old Meier-Audio HA-1 I could lend her, but I think it's important to find a phone that doesn't really need an amp. 

They're not really on-ear, they're over-ear. I've found them comfortable with glasses. 

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #368 of 485
Hi everyone,
There is a great review on EDS. If you are interested in it, just have a look~
https://headphonereview.com/over-ear/hifiman-edition-s-review/

Quote: 
With a nice design, a relatively high comfort level, and a great sound, the HiFiMan Edition S headphones are quite the cans. They come at a relatively good price too, sitting at $249 on the HiFiMan website or an even cheaper $199 on Amazon. Sure, we did have a few quibbles with the build quality and the high frequencies, but in general these are a great, compact pair of headphones that should offer plenty for almost everyone.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 21, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #369 of 485
Hi everyone,

There is a great review on EDS. If you are interested in it, just have a look~

https://headphonereview.com/over-ear/hifiman-edition-s-review/

Quote: 

With a nice design, a relatively high comfort level, and a great sound, the HiFiMan Edition S headphones are quite the cans. They come at a relatively good price too, sitting at $249 on the HiFiMan website or an even cheaper $199 on Amazon. Sure, we did have a few quibbles with the build quality and the high frequencies, but in general these are a great, compact pair of headphones that should offer plenty for almost everyone.

Have the HIFIMAN team rethought the idea of marketing these headphones properly as 'Over-ear' and not 'On-ear'? It's pretty misleading for the vast majority of people, and many people overlook them because of the fact that they are marketed as on-ear headphones. Which is a shame, because they sound great and are really comfortable. I just really fail to understand the logic behind marketing them falsely.

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #370 of 485
Have the HIFIMAN team rethought the idea of marketing these headphones properly as 'Over-ear' and not 'On-ear'? It's pretty misleading for the vast majority of people, and many people overlook them because of the fact that they are marketed as on-ear headphones. Which is a shame, because they sound great and are really comfortable. I just really fail to understand the logic behind marketing them falsely.

AFAIK, Hifiman is not bending on the on-ear marketing and are locked into it, so they don't think they're marketing it falsely.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #372 of 485
Yeah, but 'on-ear' describes a property of the headphones, a property that these headphones don't have except to those with extremely large ears. If we're going down this road, they might as well just market them as planars and then say it's just a marketing term.

The folding portion of the headphones makes them very portable, which is what they should be focusing on. Not misrepresenting the product to the consumer.

Maybe 'on-ear' and 'over-ear' just translate into the same word in Chinese. /s

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #373 of 485
Yeah, but 'on-ear' describes a property of the headphones, a property that these headphones don't have except to those with extremely large ears. If we're going down this road, they might as well just market them as planars and then say it's just a marketing term.

The folding portion of the headphones makes them very portable, which is what they should be focusing on. Not misrepresenting the product to the consumer.

Maybe 'on-ear' and 'over-ear' just translate into the same word in Chinese. /s

I disagree with their use of on ear too which I have addressed on this thread before. I was just trying to find their reasoning for it as I don't know anyone who would want an on ear over an over ear except for extra portability reasons so hifiman isn't doing any harm here. If anything it's just hurting potential sales

Nov 22, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #374 of 485
I disagree with their use of on ear too which I have addressed on this thread before. I was just trying to find their reasoning for it as I don't know anyone who would want an on ear over an over ear except for extra portability reasons so hifiman isn't doing any harm here. If anything it's just hurting potential sales

Yeah sorry, I wasn't trying to aim my displeasure at you.

Given exactly what you've said, they should market it as an 'Ultraportable' Over-Ear set, along with the likes of the Sennheiser momentum over-ears etc. They may not have the style of the momentums, but they're not bad-looking. Plus the Edition S has versatility on its side.

Given the amount of people who have come to this thread to clarify whether they are on-ear or not SHOULD be a big indicator to Hifiman that they're marketing these incorrectly.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #375 of 485

Just got my pair today, couldn't hold back off of the $150 price tag.

First impressions:
The comfort these headphones offer is superb, the fact that the padding on the headband touches most of your head all around is great, and the earpads are very soft (and over-ear). 
My head isn't too big, so clamp isn't really an issue, but I see how these could offer a bit of discomfort initially without some stretching. After seeing some members' headbands cracking in the middle, I'm glad I have a small head.

The build is much better in person than from photos. There is a lot of plastic, but the metal does feel very nice to the touch. There was some residue on the headband out of the box, but it was easily rubbed off. One earcup swivels much more slowly than the other, but that isn't really a noticeable issue when putting it on your head. Just Hifiman things. I am a little concerned with the thin metal rods that connect the earcup to the headband. One of the earliest photos on this thread was the snapping of said rod, and I could see that happening. I plan on being very careful with stretching these...

I actually really love the white color scheme. Perhaps it would look better if the pads and headband padding were white as well, but I could see those yellowing quickly. Just as I said from the build, the white looks very nice in person. A few people have remarked on the nice look they have!

Sound wise, as most people say, these sound much better open. The soundstage is decent, especially after all my time listening to the TH-X00's. The bass reaches very satisfactorily low and is punchy and fast. I love the midrange and vocals, and luckily the treble isn't as harsh as some people say it is with the covers on, but that's my own preference.

I'm thinking of getting a different wire though, as the one that comes with feels a little cheap. The length is very appropriate for portable use though.

Very good buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back