Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #857 of 984
All bluetooth codecs have latency, so there's no such thing as a no latency bluetooth headphone. Your Grados have latency as well, just less so you aren't noticing it.

The Bluemini may have worse latency than other receivers because of its design, hard to say. It's primarily designed for music listening, where latency doesn't matter so it likely wasn't a concern in its design. LDAC won't solve your issue as it's not a low latency codec either.

Personally I wouldn't use Bluetooth for any tasks where timing matters because it's impossible to entirely eliminate the latency even if you're not noticing it
Hi, I have been using the cabled option, I only came across the latency issue when spending more time with bluetooth for it's convenience.

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #858 of 984
Deva Pro arrived today. Bluetooth module is dead, obviously a factory defect. It won't charge. In DAC mode, sound is choppy. Requested a replacement/refund.

Other than this, when wired it is pretty much the same as the original Deva (I have both). I cannot really feel the power of stealth magnets (soundstage/imaging is the same). I can feel though that the bass is more recessed, but this probably because it needs a bit of burning-in (I hope).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #859 of 984
Deva Pro arrived today. Bluetooth module is dead, obviously a factory defect. It won't charge. In DAC mode, sound is choppy. Requested a replacement/refund.

Other than this, when wired it is pretty much the same as the original Deva (I have both). I cannot really feel the power of stealth magnets (soundstage/imaging is the same). I can feel though that the bass is more recessed, but this probably because it needs a bit of burning-in (I hope).
Thanks, I will stick with my original. The reviews out there seem to make out like there is a huge difference, and I wasn’t thinking that was, or would be, the case. No upgraditis here.

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #860 of 984

I need a big favor - when you get the Pro bluetooth working, can you advise me of any bluetooth latency delay difference between the Deva and the Deva Pro ?
I realize, and have been reminded, that bluetooth will create 'some' delay, but the Pro has so much it's unuseable for my application.

Nov 16, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #861 of 984
I need a big favor - when you get the Pro bluetooth working, can you advise me of any bluetooth latency delay difference between the Deva and the Deva Pro ?
I realize, and have been reminded, that bluetooth will create 'some' delay, but the Pro has so much it's unuseable for my application.
I do not have the original Bluemini (I bought a wired version), can't help sorry.

I'd be concerned if my hi-fi bluetooth headphones did not have any latency. If there is no latency (or very little) over bluetooth, then it is either bitrate is low (hence quality is poor) or BT protocol implementation has very small data buffers (which would lead to poor connection). Most of BT headphones/speakers have latency, some sources of music (like smart TV) has a function to compensate this latency by rendering picture with a delay.

If you can compromise audio quality with latency, go to android developers menu/settings on your phone and lower bitrate for bluetooth (or even switch from LDAC to SBC protocol).

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #862 of 984
I do not have the original Bluemini (I bought a wired version), can't help sorry.

I'd be concerned if my hi-fi bluetooth headphones did not have any latency. If there is no latency (or very little) over bluetooth, then it is either bitrate is low (hence quality is poor) or BT protocol implementation has very small data buffers (which would lead to poor connection). Most of BT headphones/speakers have latency, some sources of music (like smart TV) has a function to compensate this latency by rendering picture with a delay.

If you can compromise audio quality with latency, go to android developers menu/settings on your phone and lower bitrate for bluetooth (or even switch from LDAC to SBC protocol).
Yes, I get that thanks, doesn't explain why by comparison my GRADO GW-100 V2 bluetooth phones have little to no latency yet still perform admirably.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #863 of 984
Yes, I get that thanks, doesn't explain why by comparison my GRADO GW-100 V2 bluetooth phones have little to no latency yet still perform admirably.
What app are you using specifically which demonstrates “little to no latency” when you are using your GW-100 V2?

Some apps compensate for latency by smartly delaying picture, but it seems some BT implementations in some earphones aren’t compatible with that compensation approach and so don’t benefit, at least that’s the experience I’ve noted.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #864 of 984
What app are you using specifically which demonstrates “little to no latency” when you are using your GW-100 V2?

Some apps compensate for latency by smartly delaying picture, but it seems some BT implementations in some earphones aren’t compatible with that compensation approach and so don’t benefit, at least that’s the experience I’ve noted.
It's a bluetooth transmitter device, not an app, the set up is used for playing keyboards over pre-recorded tracks in which a latency delay would make that unworkable.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #865 of 984
It's a bluetooth transmitter device, not an app, the set up is used for playing keyboards over pre-recorded tracks in which a latency delay would make that unworkable.
Maybe the GW-100 V2 supports aptX-LL? Does your BT transmitter? I don’t think BlueMini does.

Nov 19, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #866 of 984
While you heard about the favorite headphone of last week, Arya Stealth, HIFIMAN Electronics actually adapted the same technology for their Deva PRO Headphones as well, so today I try to bring a smile to your face with my in-depth written review about the Deva PRO, a headphone that combines the sound of the original Deva, but makes it better with an improved bass, and a much better Bluetooth R2R adapter!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/11/hifiman-deva-pro-stealth-r2r-ldac-bass-fun.html

HIFIMAN-Deva-PRO-Bluetooth-R2R-Bluemini-Planar-Magnetic-Headphones-LDAC-Review-Audiophile-Heav...jpg

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #868 of 984
I understand the Bluemini is a pretty great DAC given the size & power constraints (I see a huge difference using it wired with the audio cable vs. USB cable).
But how does the Reva Pro reacts when connected to an external DAC & AMP? Is it worth the upgrade?

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #869 of 984
I understand the Bluemini is a pretty great DAC given the size & power constraints (I see a huge difference using it wired with the audio cable vs. USB cable).
But how does the Reva Pro reacts when connected to an external DAC & AMP? Is it worth the upgrade?
Definitely, you haven't heard what is the Deva pro capable of, if you haven't used an external amplifier.
The blue mini is great for the ease of use but when it is under pressure it clips and sounds harsh.
For example it is not suitable for listening loud to classical music.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #870 of 984
Definitely, you haven't heard what is the Deva pro capable of, if you haven't used an external amplifier.
The blue mini is great for the ease of use but when it is under pressure it clips and sounds harsh.
For example it is not suitable for listening loud to classical music.
Any recommendation? I was looking at something like the Topping DX3 Pro+ but I'm not sure if it performs well with low-impedance headphones (I understand the Deva Pro has 18 Ohm). Alternatives are the Topping L30/D30 stack or the recently announced SMSL SH-6/SU-6 stack (didn't find yet reviews of the amp, but the DAC seems solid).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back