Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Apr 10, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #677 of 984
Got the Deva's and all I can say is wow. After all the talk I've heard about planars not having very good bass that was the one thing I was a bit worried about. It's all for not. These things kick. I mean nothing like the closed back Denons but not lacking by any means. I've only listened to them for about an hour or so. The first 1/2 hour or so was out of my phone USB-C through a Meizu HIFI dac amp to Deva. No Bluemini as I decided to charge it before trying. It was impressive sound for sure but had to go to 100% volume and still a bit weak. Next I got the bluemini hooked up and connected to my laptop. Wow what a difference. This little Bluemini is powerful. They came to life. I didn't have to go above about 70% volume and they are LOUD. Without the bluemini my son across the room could barely tell what I was listening to. After with the Bluemini anyone in the room can hear loud and clear what I'm listening to. Hifiman mention in the manual that they take 150 hours or so to fully burn in and sound their best. I'm really looking forward to getting some more hours on them.

May 5, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #678 of 984
I've been chasing the best bluetooth headphones I can find for years now and got my hands on these DEVAs. Really love the sound quality. My previous favorites so far have been the Drop Pandas. I still like them for a closed back but boy do the Devas open up compared to them.

So I have a couple questions for the community. Prior to chasing bluetooth I was playing the 'try a bunch of amps/dacs/cables/headphones' game and ended at HD650's as my preferred cans... My first question is regarding cables. I know at some point you are chasing diminishing returns, but backtracking to 'ok' cables, how can there be arguments that are so adamant about the cables when if you take apart something like these dvas, the cable that connects the right earcup to the input jack is the thinnest wire imaginable and yet I haven't heard anyone even mention that the right ear cup sounds like garbage compared to the left side. Do people look inside headphones and see what kind of quality the parts are in there? Or do they assume magic happens at the jack? Anyway it was just an observation I had today while I was loving listening to these.

Second question... Has anyone attempted to replace the battery in the blueminis with something either larger or just to replace a failed battery? I've read a couple bad stories about the bluemini and my pair, which I got used doesn't seem to show a red led no matter what I do, and when plugged in doesn't show green light, so I don't know if they are charging or not (i'm on my first discharge since I've gotten them but they were picked up used). I was looking at the image that someone uploaded of the insides and the battery doesn't have any information on it but I was thinking of maybe drilling a hole in the side big enough to fit in a round battery with the same voltage and soldering a connector to the wires from the current battery so that you can swap the battery easily when it kicks the bucket.

Third question, anyone have any idea what the difference between the bluemini and bluemini II are other than bluetooth 4.2 -> 5.0? Is everything basically the same inside other than the bluetooth chip? Battery issues possibly fixed?

Extra Credit observation: the pic of the inside of the blue mini has this text: "HE700" on them - interesting?

May 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #679 of 984
So I have a couple questions for the community. Prior to chasing bluetooth I was playing the 'try a bunch of amps/dacs/cables/headphones' game and ended at HD650's as my preferred cans... My first question is regarding cables. I know at some point you are chasing diminishing returns, but backtracking to 'ok' cables, how can there be arguments that are so adamant about the cables when if you take apart something like these dvas, the cable that connects the right earcup to the input jack is the thinnest wire imaginable and yet I haven't heard anyone even mention that the right ear cup sounds like garbage compared to the left side. Do people look inside headphones and see what kind of quality the parts are in there? Or do they assume magic happens at the jack? Anyway it was just an observation I had today while I was loving listening to these.
While I don't disagree with your thought process, I don't think it is the size of the wire per se', but more of the composition of the wire itself. If the wire is matched well with the phone, it can be the shittiest wire ever made and sound good. But a lot of times companies just throw a wire on it at the end (IMO). Plus it is not a matter of making them better quality sound that is necessarily quantifiable, but more on the subjective perspective of the consumer. Pure silver tends to increase the clarity at the expense of bass, and some people swear it makes them sound better, but that is mainly because they felt that there wasn't enough of that to begin with. I have some Audiosense T800 and have cable rolled and tip rolled for a bit, and decided that the stock cable that came with it sound really good without compromising anything that I would miss. The thing is that the stock cable on those is actually pretty crappy (where resistance is concerned) from what I read about, but it sounds great paired with these.

Bottom line; think of it like synergizing with DAPs AMPs DACs. If you pair it with a good quality cable you stand a better chance of hearing them without extra coloring that added resistance or materials might add to it.

This is all subjective and by no means can I prove any of this. Just thought I would share my thoughts with you on this matter.

I have not even started worrying about the battery in my Bluemini at this point. They work exactly as advertised with lights, charging, and time used. Though, I would also be interested in hearing stories of replacing batteries for this also, because one day it will no longer work, and I would not like to rely on having to buy a new one later.

I don't know what Bluemini 2 is. I tried searching that term and came up with nothing. Is this something new to Hifiman? Where did you see this?

May 5, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #681 of 984
Wired Version Bonus: I bought the DEVA wired open-box version. When I got it, I immediately took headphone and cable out, to start burning it in. The cable is braided, which I like. But the cable is super stiff. After 1/2 day, I got frustrated with the cable. I remembered seeing another package of cable in the box. I checked and it is USB to USB-C cable. I thought that is weird. Why did HIFIMAN include USB cable for wired version. Then I saw another bubble wrapped package in the box, which included Bluemini inside. It is version I, not version II. I guess HIFIMAN no longer sells original Bluemini version, so they sold the unit as wired version. It is a nice bonus. By the way, the unit I received looks to be an Amazon return, as it has LPN RR label covering the barcode.
I saw it on the page for the firmware update for the bluemini on hifimans website, they specifically say it is not for the blue mini II (https://hifiman.com/services select deva from the firmware dropdown, the note about the II is in the popup). I also read it somewhere else where someone has said the II has bluetooth 5.0 I think maybe even in this thread (see above quote). They said they bought an open box wired deva and hifiman threw in a blue mini version 1 and it was a nice bonus, they concluded that since they moved to version II that they were giving the first one away to get rid of stock. Also on this page

Thanks for your take on the cables, that makes a little more sense to me about the material resistance coloring the signal in some way since its analog at that point. I've rewired some mmcx connectors onto a pair of around necks so i could put my rose mini 4's on them and i was surprised how much different they sounded on that configuration.

As for the DEVA's I'm a little worried about the cabling since they are so thin and delicate looking, I could see that being the second point of most likely failure compared to the battery for the blue mini.

I'm probably going to buy a pair of devas new to get the mini 2 and sell the headphones wired only on ebay so I can have two minis and I'll take one of them apart and see what I can figure out about the battery - but I want to use them for a couple days before I go crazy. If anyone has any additional information around them it would be much appreciated. I'm hoping they are like 3.7volts so I can use like RC batteries since they are so cheap, can just drill a AA sized hole in the side where the battery is held and a little extra notch for the wire harness to dangle out so you don't have to take apart the bluemini casing to replace them. I want to make sure I can charge them with the headset usb though so I don't put to much strain on the battery connector. I'm a little crazy though we'll see if I have the guts to do it.

May 5, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #682 of 984
I saw it on the page for the firmware update for the bluemini on hifimans website, they specifically say it is not for the blue mini II (https://hifiman.com/services select deva from the firmware dropdown, the note about the II is in the popup). I also read it somewhere else where someone has said the II has bluetooth 5.0 I think maybe even in this thread (see above quote). They said they bought an open box wired deva and hifiman threw in a blue mini version 1 and it was a nice bonus, they concluded that since they moved to version II that they were giving the first one away to get rid of stock. Also on this page

Thanks for your take on the cables, that makes a little more sense to me about the material resistance coloring the signal in some way since its analog at that point. I've rewired some mmcx connectors onto a pair of around necks so i could put my rose mini 4's on them and i was surprised how much different they sounded on that configuration.

As for the DEVA's I'm a little worried about the cabling since they are so thin and delicate looking, I could see that being the second point of most likely failure compared to the battery for the blue mini.

I'm probably going to buy a pair of devas new to get the mini 2 and sell the headphones wired only on ebay so I can have two minis and I'll take one of them apart and see what I can figure out about the battery - but I want to use them for a couple days before I go crazy. If anyone has any additional information around them it would be much appreciated. I'm hoping they are like 3.7volts so I can use like RC batteries since they are so cheap, can just drill a AA sized hole in the side where the battery is held and a little extra notch for the wire harness to dangle out so you don't have to take apart the bluemini casing to replace them. I want to make sure I can charge them with the headset usb though so I don't put to much strain on the battery connector. I'm a little crazy though we'll see if I have the guts to do it.
Ah, then maybe I have been using the Bluemini 2 all along and didn't really know it. Thanks for that!

I am worried about those tiny wires too, but even moreso because a bit of it is exposed where it is hinged. Friction is a problem with any wire, but especially this tiny wire (in my mind). We will see. So far, I have had no issues at all, but I will admit I do tend to baby these (like I do with all my good sounding phones).

Dew eet! :) I would like to see a good mod for this. I am not afraid to admit that I AM afraid to take on this project, but I am not bad at following directions should you successfully accomplish adding a larger battery... :metal: That would be great trying to use an RC battery. They ARE cheap, and you can get them in pretty much any shape you desire. Something like THIS might be able to be stuffed into it if it IS 3.7. Not sure about the stock battery though, so not sure of the ma rating. This one (for instance) is 240.

May 5, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #683 of 984
...doesn't seem to show a red led no matter what I do, and when plugged in doesn't show green light, so I don't know if they are charging or not (i'm on my first discharge since I've gotten them but they were picked up used)...
I had this issue. Try a different charger or cable. Also try flipping the USB plug around. It also takes a couple seconds for the charger light to appear.

May 5, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #684 of 984
I had this issue. Try a different charger or cable. Also try flipping the USB plug around. It also takes a couple seconds for the charger light to appear.
I have tried their official cable that came with it (it says in the manual it will only charge with the official cable) and a bunch of other cables, I've tried plugged into usb 3 port on desktop pc, a bunch of phone chargers and a couple other similar things and nothing makes the light come on. I ran it down until it said low battery every 3 seconds today got about 6 hours out of it (which is not great imo especially when compared to like 35 hours for panda). I put it on a charger that I know works for other devices, no light but after 30 mins its up and running again with no low battery warning so maybe something is weird with the red led or something (it worries me tbh)

Ah, then maybe I have been using the Bluemini 2 all along and didn't really know it. Thanks for that!

I am worried about those tiny wires too, but even moreso because a bit of it is exposed where it is hinged. Friction is a problem with any wire, but especially this tiny wire (in my mind). We will see. So far, I have had no issues at all, but I will admit I do tend to baby these (like I do with all my good sounding phones).

If you look at the back it might say blue mini II if its a II, but I don't have any more information on it other than what I quoted and linked. I'll be honest I've felt like 4.2 has a stronger signal than 5.0 in recent hardware, so I'm almost ok with having the mini 1 with 4.2, it supports aptx hd and ldac so its not like one is better in terms of the transmission quality.

Yeah it looks like mine is a little frayed right where it rotates into the earcups myself, honestly it worries me more than the battery does and I'm really worried about the battery. I'd rather have the bluetooth adapter external like this compared to like the ananda though so that it can be replaced if required or even upgraded down the road to a blue mini 4 or 5 or 6 you get it. After a couple days I'll pop it open and see if I can figure out what voltage it is and start researching a nice replacement. I ordered the smallest power bank I could find today to stick it on top of the headband so I can get a crap ton of extra time out of it, I just hate if I can feel stuff dangling and ugly but in the end I'll just be glad to get a full work day out of it.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #685 of 984
I have tried their official cable that came with it (it says in the manual it will only charge with the official cable) and a bunch of other cables, I've tried plugged into usb 3 port on desktop pc, a bunch of phone chargers and a couple other similar things and nothing makes the light come on. I ran it down until it said low battery every 3 seconds today got about 6 hours out of it (which is not great imo especially when compared to like 35 hours for panda). I put it on a charger that I know works for other devices, no light but after 30 mins its up and running again with no low battery warning so maybe something is weird with the red led or something (it worries me tbh)
Yeah I can't recall exactly what I did to fix it. Are you turning it off before charging? Try resetting it(if there is a reset). Maybe it got fixed after I took it apart and put it back together. The dac might not have been seated firmly enough to the amp.

If you're going to go through all the trouble of attaching an external battery to the headband then maybe consider getting the qudelix or btr-5 instead. I've since moved on from the Bluemini. It's just not as flexible and feature laden as one of those portable bluetooth dac/amps.

May 6, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #686 of 984
If you're going to go through all the trouble of attaching an external battery to the headband then maybe consider getting the qudelix or btr-5 instead. I've since moved on from the Bluemini. It's just not as flexible and feature laden as one of those portable bluetooth dac/amps.
how is the qudelix? Any idea what the battery life is on the DEVA's? How does it sound compared to the bluemini? Thanks

May 6, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #687 of 984
So apparently you can't play bluetooth audio when its charging... so the power pack idea is a no go, just wanted to make sure I didn't steer someone in that direction with my post

PS so I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N11FYMW it has 4800mah battery supposedly, if I had to guess I'd say the one inside the bluemini is like 200-400mah, so imagine having 10 times the battery life (IE never worry about charging). I'm hoping to just stick it to the top of the headband, and leave the wire connected to the bluemini, charge the battery up top rather than bluemini. If the bluemini potentially works even with the battery dead it could be a safe way to expand the battery life without worrying about QC issues with the DEVA and without having to switch to a different dac, and without modifying the bluemini to insert a new battery voiding any warranty that exists in the process.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #688 of 984
how is the qudelix? Any idea what the battery life is on the DEVA's? How does it sound compared to the bluemini? Thanks
The qudelix sounds good. The app is solid and I like the EQ functions. I'm not sure how it compares to the bluemini in terms of sound quality. It's probably on par when connected balanced. The bluemini is pretty dang impressive and powerful so I would just use the a qudelix to supplement it and not as a replacement. In terms of battery life, you can power it with an external batter while playing, unlike the bluemini as you've discovered.

Also, you might want to contact hifiman about your bluemini, I hear they're pretty good in handling any warranty issues.

May 6, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #689 of 984
Oh ok, well thats interesting about the qudelix... I really like how these sound with the bluemini, and honestly i don't really want a big wonky mess on my head, I didn't really even want the adapter hanging off them, but I wanted to try the DEVA since it was the only alternative they have other than ananda bt which honestly is too piercing for me, I much prefer the DEVA signature (or bluemini+deva at least). I reached out to hifiman a couple days ago but haven't heard back. Its not the end of the world anyway, I am still willing to crack these open if I run into an issue with the battery or just get sick of them not holding a long enough charge.

also... tudedude I didn't realize you were the one that cracked open your bluemini. I didn't want to break any plastic, does that tab in the middle push in and then that side just pops off or did you have to break some plastic to get inside? (if you recall)

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #690 of 984
I returned the BTR5 and am ordering the Qudelix 5k, the specs show it to be a little stronger than the BTR5 w/wo a balanced cable. Qudelix site has a spreadsheet for the output with the Sundara going up to 117db with a balanced cable. I enjoy listening to music uncompressed and eq'd to oratory1990 settings most of the time (thanks tgx78).

How was the range for the BTA30? The cheap one I bought does fine up 35' or so but again I'd like to be able to have more power because when you reach the limit using aptx HD you get exceptionally loud pops.

Qudelix 5K Chart for the Sundara https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14CkEvb9FfnQZp3aXVQcwafhkuNeq8Lx7FOAzqEqoPqE/edit#gid=0
Oratory1990's eq settings for Bluemini https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebk1xtt4ssafz4v/Hifiman Deva (Bluetooth).pdf?dl=0
Anyone have the oratory settings adjusted for a 6 band peq?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back