Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Aug 16, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #393 of 984
Depends on the BT codec you are using.
Im pairing Deva with Sony Nw-zx507 using LDAC and it sounds really amazing.

My only two current sources are Tidal from my MBP and my Hiby R3 (non pro). So this is partially why I'm interested in seeing what that next step up sounds like, aside from the fact that the "audio bug" seems to have taken hold of me 😛

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #394 of 984
Cable is always better than Bluetooth even if it is LDAC.
The headphone responds very well to gear upgrades.
[/QUOTEp

I've read cable and an amp opens up the bass so I guess my questions are 1. Is this true and 2. Is something small like an atom sufficient?

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #395 of 984
Yes, it's true... And, I don't know. I use a Schiit Asgard 2 with mine, which is a big, powerful class A amp. I've tried it with a Nuforce portable amp, and the bass was decent but not quite as full and potent. My Asgard should be overkill according to specs, but it really sounds much better. I think the Devas benefit from a lot of current capability.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #396 of 984
My crappy pict hahaha. Deva sounds warmer and detail at the same time, mid to low sounds fuller. Oyaide 4.4 BAL custom cable.

Attachments

• P_20200817_133700-01.jpeg
    P_20200817_133700-01.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #398 of 984
I've read cable and an amp opens up the bass so I guess my questions are 1. Is this true and 2. Is something small like an atom sufficient?

Yes cable yields better results in all departments.
Atom is very powerful and I think it will be very good.
I have done a great part of the listening with EarMen TR Amp so I guess atom will be just fine.

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #401 of 984
Would there be a portable amp that would work well with the deva? I like the option of the mobility.
EarMen TR-Amp. It's nit too expensive but delivers a very clean performance (unlike Tempotec Sonata iDSD). You will be pushing the TR-Amp to the extremes (if you like listening to louder volumes), this will significantly affect the battery life of it, but the sonic performance is clean and expanding (dynamic range)

What's your budget?

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #402 of 984
EarMen TR-Amp. It's nit too expensive but delivers a very clean performance (unlike Tempotec Sonata iDSD). You will be pushing the TR-Amp to the extremes (if you like listening to louder volumes), this will significantly affect the battery life of it, but the sonic performance is clean and expanding (dynamic range)

What's your budget?

Hmm I've not come across the EarMen TR, I'll have to look into this as well. I was actually looking at the Fiio Q5s, but I'm not sure if that's ideal? I think that would be my upper limit in terms of budget.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #403 of 984
Hmm I've not come across the EarMen TR, I'll have to look into this as well. I was actually looking at the Fiio Q5s, but I'm not sure if that's ideal? I think that would be my upper limit in terms of budget.
I would bet on EarMen over Fiio any day. Without a doubt.

Auris Audio is the oarent company of EarMen, and they specialize in making luxury amplifiers. EarMen is actually manufactured in Europe, not just assembled. It uses the best chips and is built like a rock.

You choose what you think suits you better, but be aware that the sound output for the Deva has to be clean, it's very easy to hear if it's off (like with Tempotec Sonata iDSD).

if you are already going for the form of a DAP (like the Q5s) then I'd suggest iBasso.
iBasso is a company that cares about sound, not mass production. Would take it over Fiio too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back