Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Jun 3, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #721 of 984
With the Qudelix 5k, you can see what the current transfer rate is for LDAC, before I used to use 600 like you because no matter how close I was with the bluemini I would have constant dropouts. I switched to adaptive on the 5k and in watching what rate is sent to the 5k with adaptive on from a Fiio BTA30, I get between 600-900+ at my desk about 10-15 feet from the BTA30 Transmitter depending on either wifi fluctuations or my head movement etc. I agree that when it drops to 300ish it loses fidelity in various ways, but I've found I prefer Adaptive since it seems to seamlessly switch between 900 and 600 without any obvious artifacts or dropouts. I've been unable to find information defining whether adaptive at 900 is the same as just picking 900, or 600 either, not sure how much overhead there is in having it 'smart'.

On the bluemini I pretty much maxed out at 600, since I couldn't pick the 900 setting without constant dropouts/glitches, its part of why I grabbed the 5k to test.

As a secondary side note, I can sit in my outdoor screenroom about 40 feet or so from the transmitter through a wall/glass door. The signal goes down to 300 or so but it still doesn't break up, and I can walk into my woods before it becomes super droppy but doesn't disconnect and that is about 100ft from the transmitter.

Strangely on the blumini connected to my old 1Mii B03Pro+ using aptx HD, I could go out to my screen room with a bit of a chance for a glitch every min or so, but on the BTA30, its unusable on aptx HD, which makes me think the BTA30's antenna is not as strong as the 1Mii B03Pro+, but in LDAC mode which usually has worse range than aptx HD for me previously, it goes much much further than anything on 1Mii B03Pro+ and further (On adaptive LDAC) than aptx HD from the BTA30

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #722 of 984
I'm loving all the helpful tips! And on a side note, it's nice to know there are plenty of others as anal as I am about my music and equipment. It's a sickness, and we are a weird bunch. Having said that, please feel free to message me with anymore of your techie tips. I love to hear anything that helps this hobby be even more rewarding.

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #723 of 984
LDAC has come a long way on phones (smaller devices). Adaptive was just about the only way that most phones could use LDAC, and 990 has always been pretty much out of the question. Nowadays, I have mine set to 990 with no issues at all. I can hear a difference between 660 and 990, but it is not as obvious as say between AptX and SBC, for instance.

Personally I would like it if more phone makers would start supporting - system-wide - the LHDC codec. As it is now you have to settle for using a small few players that have it baked into it. The problem with this is that these players kinda' suck, and I am stuck on Neutron, or UAPP. Hifiman sit on the board of the Hi-Res Wireless Audio (HWA) union, responsible for LHDC and LLAC (LHDC LL) and have included support for it since the Ananda BT came out. What is strange to me is that on their own store page, when listing all the codecs for the Deva, LHDC is not even listed, though it IS for the Ananda BT.... This seems strange given they are trying to promote the codec.

For those not familiar with LHDC, HERE is the wiki article regarding it.

I have not been able to get lhdc to output to either Ananda or Deva on bluemini without nonstop dropouts every 2 seconds or so even if I'm standing right next to my phone. This is through the hifiman app with local phone files. How do you have it setup if you don't mind me asking and how does it sound, range, usability compared to ldac?

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #724 of 984
I have not been able to get lhdc to output to either Ananda or Deva on bluemini without nonstop dropouts every 2 seconds or so even if I'm standing right next to my phone. This is through the hifiman app with local phone files. How do you have it setup if you don't mind me asking and how does it sound, range, usability compared to ldac?
Honestly, I can't tell you much more than I tried it out, and didn't like the app. I guess it all depends on the phone's CPU, RAM, BT antenna, etc... While I can use LDAC at 990 on my Samsung phone, I can't on my iBasso DX160 (the BT antenna simply sux, and the CPU is an older one). But, I may give it another go to see what is what.

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #725 of 984
I haven't been able to get my phone to stay at a particular LDAC setting. Everytime I turn my headphones off, it reverts back to the adaptive setting. Any ideas on this?

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #726 of 984
I haven't been able to get my phone to stay at a particular LDAC setting. Everytime I turn my headphones off, it reverts back to the adaptive setting. Any ideas on this?
I think that is the nature of it. Mine does the same thing.
Well, I just tried it again, and while I don't get near the dropouts you get, I still get them on my Samsung Note 9. The DX160 on the other hand, the app just refuses to open at all. It crashes out as soon as I try and open it.

Have you tried any of the other apps mentioned on the Wiki page?
Android apps that support LHDC include Savitech's Hi-Res BT Player, FiiO Music, HIFIMAN Music and DA&T Audio.

Jun 3, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #727 of 984
I think that is the nature of it. Mine does the same thing.

Well, I just tried it again, and while I don't get near the dropouts you get, I still get them on my Samsung Note 9. The DX160 on the other hand, the app just refuses to open at all. It crashes out as soon as I try and open it.

Have you tried any of the other apps mentioned on the Wiki page?
I haven't tried them, I mostly listen to LDAC from the BTA30 with optical in from my computer at this point, I just test things when I get it out of curiosity mostly. I'll try them though I am curious. As a side note I originally did the LHDC tests (on hifiman app) from a Samsung Note 10.

Jun 4, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #728 of 984
Well, now I kinda' see why there isn't more noise made about the LHDC codec on these. The players for them are crap.
  • Hifman Music - Looks very generic in its music player capacity, and frequent drop-outs when using the LHDC codec.
  • Fiio Music - Looks decent as a music player, and has fewer dropouts (still has some), but you can't change the volume from your phone. This makes using the Deva impossible since there is no volume control on the Bluemini.
  • Savitech's Hi-Res BT Player - Not on Google Play Store (have to get it from APK Pure). Looks ok, and will play, but there is no sound output to the headphones at all.
  • DA&T Audio Player - This is not a player. It intercepts all BT signals so that you can choose what codec you want to use including LHDC. Problem is, that the app doesn't work. It locks up when trying to run the app.
I wonder if Hifman simply added the codec in the headphones because they are contractually obligated, being a member of the HWA Union? This almost smacks of Betamax video, or DVD-Audio, or HD-DVD that went away. Which is sorta' funny (ironic) in that Sony was involved in killing all of those; VHS, SACD, and Blueray. LDAC (again, Sony) is the main competitor of the LHDC codec. Hmm, I wonder who will walk away standing on this one?! heh

Jun 5, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #729 of 984
Just an update on my current configuration for the Deva with Qudelix 5k using short balanced cable(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0826Y2GHK $22.50) (Ignore the cat fur):
1622915695263.png

1622915741814.png

The 5k is so light I mounted the velcro on the cable rather than the 5k, I was trying to get the cable as tight to the chassis as I could and give the 5k the most freedom for the antenna. I'll probably put velcro on the 5k though because it spins a bit in the current configuration and I don't really want to put pressure on the jack, although having it connected with velcro might put more pressure on it from the cable (not sure)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #730 of 984
I grabbed an Audeze LCD-GX to try it with the 5k, I really don't like the look of its connectors but I really want to try a pair of their traditional cans because I'm worried about the cable that runs between the two sides of the Deva to make it a single connector. The GX is single sided magnets, but low ohm to drive, and is one of their lightest headsets at like 454g because of the magnesium chassis mixed with removing one side of the magnet array.

One of the other reasons I want to try the Audeze is because as much as its comfortable to wear with the Deva's light clamping force, I always feel them shifting around when I bend over etc and feel like they are constantly about to fall off my head. The last thing I want to do is drop them since the planars are delicate sounding. My old favorite comfort headphone was the HD650, trying to find just the right clamping force, lightness and great sounding profile is quite a challenge it seems.

The cables that come with the GX are not balanced so I'm searching for a short cable now, with progress in a different thread. Sorry for off topic

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #732 of 984
Exactly! My 650s are perfect fitting, but the Devas are a little loose. At first, I thought it was because my head is smaller than average, but I guess I'm not the only one with that problem. They are comfy, but they shift some.
That is exactly how I would put it. They are VERY comfortable, but they tend to move if you bend down, or twist your head too quickly. I don't really consider this much of a problem though, because I don't use them in a manner that really needs perfect fitment (or jogging).

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #733 of 984
Exactly! My 650s are perfect fitting, but the Devas are a little loose. At first, I thought it was because my head is smaller than average, but I guess I'm not the only one with that problem. They are comfy, but they shift some.
I like the way those look. Great job! Would you put them on par with the Bluemini?

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #734 of 984
I like the way those look. Great job! Would you put them on par with the Bluemini?
Are you referring to my new pics with the 5k? If so, Honestly yeah, but battery life is really bad balanced. Having PEQ is great, ldac has way stronger signal on 5k vs on the bluemini. I ordered the smallest power bank I could find, since the 5k runs while charging I can just Velcro it on in line and charge that instead of the 5k.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #735 of 984
Are you referring to my new pics with the 5k? If so, Honestly yeah, but battery life is really bad balanced. Having PEQ is great, ldac has way stronger signal on 5k vs on the bluemini. I ordered the smallest power bank I could find, since the 5k runs while charging I can just Velcro it on in line and charge that instead of the 5k.
Brilliant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back