Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
May 7, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #691 of 984
also... tudedude I didn't realize you were the one that cracked open your bluemini. I didn't want to break any plastic, does that tab in the middle push in and then that side just pops off or did you have to break some plastic to get inside? (if you recall)
I didn't have to break any plastic. Yeah you push in the tab so you can start prying around the edges. There are several shorter tabs on the other piece as well, if you examine carefully you can see them in the picture. But the tab in the center is what gets you started.

May 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #692 of 984
Anyone have the oratory settings adjusted for a 6 band peq?
Wired:
Preamp: -6.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 15 Hz Gain 6.9 dB Q 0.38
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 344 Hz Gain -1.9 dB Q 0.17
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1943 Hz Gain 4.3 dB Q 1.89
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6591 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 3.66
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9809 Hz Gain 2.2 dB Q 1.65

Wireless:
Preamp: -6.8 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 37 Hz Gain 7.2 dB Q 0.46
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 375 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 0.16
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1926 Hz Gain 4.3 dB Q 1.88
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6542 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 4.21
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9731 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.87

May 7, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #693 of 984
Wired:
Preamp: -6.4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 15 Hz Gain 6.9 dB Q 0.38
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 344 Hz Gain -1.9 dB Q 0.17
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1943 Hz Gain 4.3 dB Q 1.89
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6591 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 3.66
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9809 Hz Gain 2.2 dB Q 1.65

Wireless:
Preamp: -6.8 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 37 Hz Gain 7.2 dB Q 0.46
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 375 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 0.16
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1926 Hz Gain 4.3 dB Q 1.88
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6542 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 4.21
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9731 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.87
Thanks. Analog bell for these?

May 10, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #695 of 984
JUST A FAIR WARNING.... messing with lithium batteries can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing! If you reverse polarities you could have a fireball on your hands very quickly.

This is the battery thats in the BlueMini, 3.7v 340mah is printed on the battery. There are 2 cells though, so its possible its 340mah times 2, I don't know what the requirements are for printing battery stats on a battery, its its 680mah I might not bother, I don't really want to ruin it. I did check the polarity too (which is important, red is positive and black wire is negative (in my bluemini at least with the usb port at the bottom, power button to the right, the red wire is connected to the pcb at the top(positive), and below is the black wire - negative).

gonna try switching to this battery (its aa sized but is 3.7v lithium) 14500 1100mah should get about 20 hours if this works (and the original battery is 320mah). I'm just going to have a AA battery holder on the outside and have the wires mount to it. I'll have 2 batteries one that is in a charger and one that is in the headset. If I dies I can just swap them. I'll keep this updated with progress. Ordered this aa battery holder to mount to the outside, cross those fingers people.
Screenshot_20210510-001906_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #696 of 984
This is the battery thats in the BlueMini, its 3.7v 340mah 3.9v while charging (checked with volt meter)... gonna try switching to this battery (its aa sized but is 3.7v lithium) 14500 1100mah should get about 20 hours if this works. I'm just going to have a AA battery holder on the outside and have the wires mount to it. I'll have 2 batteries one that is in a charger and one that is in the headset. If I dies I can just swap them. I'll keep this updated with progress. Ordered this aa battery holder to mount to the outside, cross those fingers people.
Screenshot_20210510-001906_Gallery.jpg
Hack it Brother! Looking forward to seeing your results.

May 10, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #697 of 984
how is the qudelix? Any idea what the battery life is on the DEVA's? How does it sound compared to the bluemini? Thanks
Battery life never really bothered me since I switch off between DAs, probably close to the same. I think a 1" piece of velcro would be way more than enough to hold the 5K securely. When both DAs are eq'd for Harman settings, it's difficult to hear a difference. Neither one colors the sound that I can tell. The volume is about the same and plenty loud but definitely not end game for me.

May 11, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #698 of 984
I like to listen to music all day long but not take it off or switch headsets if I can, so I was hoping to get close to 16 hours of battery so that I can just put it on a charger at the end of the day. If this battery swap works I won't even care about battery longevity. I have a timer outlet thing that I set to like 2 hours and put things on it and restart the timer so it only charges up all the way and then turns off, but with swappable batteries I won't care about that. Do you have your deva/qudelix connected on the balanced port or unbalanced? I'm pretty sure the reason they say battery is between 10 and 20 hours is the balanced port has two chips on and literally uses double the power of just the unbalanced port running out of a single chip. 10 hours isn't enough for me though but if you are running out of the unbalanced port and get close to 20 hours that is pretty much the sweet spot for me, but I would assume these would sound better out of the balanced port and I'm chasing ultra low noise floor so I wouldn't want to do unbalanced anyway.

May 12, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #699 of 984
I like to listen to music all day long but not take it off or switch headsets if I can, so I was hoping to get close to 16 hours of battery so that I can just put it on a charger at the end of the day. If this battery swap works I won't even care about battery longevity. I have a timer outlet thing that I set to like 2 hours and put things on it and restart the timer so it only charges up all the way and then turns off, but with swappable batteries I won't care about that. Do you have your deva/qudelix connected on the balanced port or unbalanced? I'm pretty sure the reason they say battery is between 10 and 20 hours is the balanced port has two chips on and literally uses double the power of just the unbalanced port running out of a single chip. 10 hours isn't enough for me though but if you are running out of the unbalanced port and get close to 20 hours that is pretty much the sweet spot for me, but I would assume these would sound better out of the balanced port and I'm chasing ultra low noise floor so I wouldn't want to do unbalanced anyway.
The battery mod sounds like a must for you. My usual daily drivers are the Deva/Bluemini/5k/HA balanced cable during the day and a set of FH3s/balanced cable at night using the 5K. The Deva will not come close to 10hrs on either using the Bluemini or the 5K, with the 5K at low levels on low gain it might. It's still a hassle for me to access the Qudelix app, an LG V20 is on the way. The FH3s are 115db/24 ohm and don't need high gain but will last more than 8hrs balanced/high gain at low listening levels. I've never heard noise using either the Bluemini or 5K balanced and I've never used the 5K unbalanced before. I'll test battery length with the Deva/5K/unbalanced/low gain today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #701 of 984
Got all my parts today, going to attempt my battery mod today. Wish me luck that it doesn't blow up. (I'll be taking precautions but a lithium battery explosion is no joke!) I'll post progress images etc.
Good luck! I am excited to see how this comes out.

Edit: When you are done, all you'll need is a double beer holder equipped with a straw, and an authentic Wayne and Garth licorice candy dispenser. :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #702 of 984
Second run down, but switched to LDAC 600kb:
17hrs 19mins until it died
. 3.32v just before it died, 3.35v after turned off from battery.
Low battery warning 15hr15min 3.50v, says 10% left in android bluetooth. Turned off and on and it just said it once, so thats good. I'm going to do it again on aptx hd again though, I figured the firmware was 'dumb' and was hardcoded by the voltage but it might be smart and storing length of runtime and then using that as a starting point the next round of discharge. It could also be that I missed the warning but I highly doubt that, any kind of interruption really gets under my skin, so I think I would have noticed 'low battery' audio over and over again.

Battery has never felt warm, during charging or discharging, it just feels room temperature.

First run down of new battery:

15hrs 22mins! At 12hrs 30mins started saying battery low every 4 seconds for a couple minutes, 2 hr 52 mins since battery low before it turned itself off... ran at measured max 82.2dBA volume. Shut off at 3.39V.
I'm a little bummed that the low battery voice was so repetitive for a couple minutes even though it still had almost 3 hours left but I'm sure it is based on the original battery with much much lower total size, at least it stopped telling me for about 2hrs 45 mins left (usable in a pinch).

Charged new battery from after it turned off to green light coming on and it took 2hr 10 min, 4.1V. Disconnected it and reconnected it and it seems to be charging it more

so basically you get about 15hrs 22 minutes fully charged to turning off, with 5 mins or so of a voice saying low battery like 30 times in a row :wink:

I'll just use the 12.5 hours, should be good for even a long work day. I'm satisfied!!

I know I'm a little crazy but I'm going to look into figuring out if I can find the spot in the firmware that the voice is from, if I can find it I might be able to change it to empty audio so that it doesn't say low battery but this is quite a hack job and it will be risky - I might get myself another blue mini just in case I brick it, if I find the spot in firmware at least (if its even in the firmware).

Original Post:

Yeah its looking a little more ridiculous than it did before :wink: Honestly at the start of all this I didn't like the dongle hanging down there but after listening to it I just don't care, as long as it doesn't get in my way when its on my head and I have wireless freedom so be it! The only thing so far that bugs me is the AA battery holder is really tight, you can see it looks almost like its popping out a little. Its not falling out though its jammed in pretty good, I just wish it had the proper clearance so it could fit flush and so that I could swap it easily. Honestly if I get more than 15 hours, I'm not going to use it as a battery swap, I'm going to just charge it at the end of my day instead and if the battery eventually kicks the dust, I'll swap it, since its just in a AA bracket.

I charged it while everything is together (used the usb c port on the bluemini to charge the new battery). The green light came on after 20 mins or so (the battery probably didn't ship fully charged). I started it playing music at 4:25pm, so now I will document how long it lasts - watch it be 6 hours :frowning2:.... so far its 12:25am, 8 hours. I tested them before the battery upgrade and got 6hr 15 mins (aptx hd if that matters to batterylife) so I'm at least at a full work day now. They have not kicked the bucket yet but i'm going to turn them off and continue this experiment tomorrow. So far I'm at 9hrs 15mins still going, no battery warning yet. Will keep this updated

I love the sound out of these, I know they are not top of the line, but they really sound great to my ears especially for casual listening while programming, but i've never been able to make it to a can jam, so I've only been exposed to a limited amount of cans, all that i've purchased over the years. As a side note, I like these better than the ananda bt, that I tried just to see if it was worth a major upgrade or not. I wish Audeze would release one of their bigger classic looking ones with bluetooth instead of the mobius / penrose, both closed and both have a rubber coating that ends up making them look like they were pecked all over by some weird bird that wants to eat the surface of your headset. I'm a little crazy all right? I'm kinda wondering if the LCD 3 could be powered by the blue mini or the Qudelix... any ideas oh group of music listening lovers? I apologize that my post is all over the place i need to go to bed and my sleeping pill is kicking in and I'm dreaming about music.

Btw, the little extra thing plugged into the bottom usb c port is a magnetic charger, I hate worrying about messing up my jacks so i just resort to that dongle on all my usb c stuff that doesn't have wireless charging. It works great and can be attached either direction, and you don't have to pay attention to finding the jack it just latches on quick and a little green light shows its connected. :)

Attachments

• 20210513_131933.jpg
    20210513_131933.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210513_132626.jpg
    20210513_132626.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210513_133831.jpg
    20210513_133831.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210513_144243.jpg
    20210513_144243.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210513_152043.jpg
    20210513_152043.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210513_153056_capture.jpg
    20210513_153056_capture.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210513_162828.jpg
    20210513_162828.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210513_162810.jpg
    20210513_162810.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #703 of 984
Yeah its looking a little more ridiculous than it did before :wink: Honestly at the start of all this I didn't like the dongle hanging down there but after listening to it I just don't care, as long as it doesn't get in my way when its on my head and I have wireless freedom so be it!

I charged it while everything is together (used the usb c port on the bluemini to charge the new battery). The green light came on after 20 mins or so (the battery probably didn't ship fully charged). I started it playing music at 4:25pm, so now I will document how long it lasts - watch it be 6 hours :frowning2:

Btw, the little extra thing plugged into the bottom usb c port is a magnetic charger, I hate worrying about messing up my jacks so i just resort to that dongle on all my usb c stuff that doesn't have wireless charging. It works great and can be attached either direction, and you don't have to pay attention to finding the jack it just latches on quick and a little green light shows its connected. :)
LOL your board name here fits you apparently. I am of the same mind as you, I could care less how it looks at this point (once you put the dongle on there it is ugly anyhow). One thing concerns me, and you will have to let us know, is the weight displacement on that side of the phone. Does it feel off balance now? Would I have to install a dumbbell weight on the opposite side to counteract? :)

Sounds like you pretty much have it sorted. Let us know the results when you get more info?!

May 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #704 of 984
The new battery and bracket weight about 26g, the old battery was 10g, so figure another 1g for extra wires etc, so its 17g heavier :wink: I don't even notice anything different on my head so far but its only been about an hour so far.

They weight 410g total now. My old favs the Drop Panda were 375g, so I don't really notice much of a difference, but people complain about the Panda weight so maybe some people would be bothered over 400g - I'll report back after I full discharge for battery life and how my head feels.

May 14, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #705 of 984
Second run down, but switched to LDAC 600kb:
17hrs 19mins until it died
. 3.32v just before it died, 3.35v after turned off from battery.
Low battery warning 15hr15min 3.50v, says 10% left in android bluetooth. Turned off and on and it just said it once, so thats good. I'm going to do it again on aptx hd though, I figured the firmware was 'dumb' and was hardcoded by the voltage but it might be smart and storing length of runtime and then using that as a starting point the next round of discharge. It could also be that I missed the warning but I highly doubt that, any kind of interruption really gets under my skin, so I think I would have noticed 'low battery' audio over and over again.

Battery has never felt warm, during charging or discharging, it just feels room temperature.

First run down of new battery:

15hrs 22mins! At 12hrs 30mins started saying battery low every 4 seconds for a couple minutes, 2 hr 52 mins since battery low before it turned itself off... ran at measured max 82.2dBA volume. Shut off at 3.39V.
I'm a little bummed that the low battery voice was so repetitive for a couple minutes even though it still had almost 3 hours left but I'm sure it is based on the original battery with much much lower total size, at least it stopped telling me for about 2hrs 45 mins left (usable in a pinch).

Charged battery from after it turned off to green light coming on and it took 2hr 10 min.

so basically you get about 15hrs 22 minutes fully charged to turning off, with 5 mins or so of a voice saying low battery like 30 times in a row :wink:

I'll just use the 12.5 hours, should be good for even a long work day. I'm satisfied!!

I know I'm a little crazy but I'm going to look into figuring out if I can find the spot in the firmware that the voice is from, if I can find it I might be able to change it to empty audio so that it doesn't say low battery but this is quite a hack job and it will be risky - I might get myself another blue mini just in case I brick it, if I find the spot in firmware at least (if its even in the firmware).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back