Hifiman Arya vs. Arya "Revision"
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #31 of 94
Dear audiophiles,

We sincerely appreciate your attention to HIFIMAN and we would like to clarify about the confusion caused by the revision of the mesh .
We have revised the mesh for Arya in 2019 and instead of the original mesh we selected the new version of mesh which has the same sound penetration /reproduction rate with that of the original mesh.
And in order to ensure there are absolutely no issues on the sound output, we tested the new mesh with some Aryas and we got the identical frequency response chart.
In addition, we invited some listeners to do the blind audition to ensure there is no obvious distinction between the two types of the headphones.
Based on the data and tests we have changed the mesh, we apologise for the confusion caused but please be assured that the sound between the two versions remains identical.

Best regards,
HIFIMAN TEAM

Thanks for clearing things up guys. I'm going to try and give another listen to a post-revision Arya to see if I come to the same conclusion as before. My belief is that FR tests don't typically lie so if you say they matched, 100% I'm inclined to believe you. Now, I still firmly believe my unit had a different sound to it but maybe that was a one-off experience.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #35 of 94
Wow the foam seems to be very thick with XGeneX88 Arya. Here is comparison photo of mine non revision.
IMG_20200602_001653.jpg

Besides styling differences that's the way my HEX v2 looks...

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #36 of 94
FYI - Watch from this marker:

I'm inclined to agree with this gentleman - looks like I'm not the only one who has spotted an audible change. I was able to find another pre-revision model (inner mesh attached to the ear pad and no cloth fabric on the outside). They sound exactly like the Arya I fell in love with. I do think there are differences between the two revisions and would love to get my hands on a "revision" model again to compare the two directly. From memory alone, yes I agree that the new version has no "peaks". However, I also think there was some audible difference to the way both the highs and lows extended and presented themselves. Personally, I preferred the pre-revision model enough to directly pursue it. If I'm able to get a new-revision pair in again, I'll do a side by side comparison and try to note more specific differences between the two. I know Hifiman claims they sound identical but I'm having a hard time accepting this as fact after another (and much more established) reviewer has noted that the two sound noticeably different.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #38 of 94
I was going to buy the Arya, but after this thread not anymore. Very strange. Not only that they look awfull with that new cloth or mesh but there seems to be a audible difference...
The "cloth" is fairly transparent and see through. The pictures make it look worse than it really is and I believe this to be a trivial difference in regards to looks. If you look at the updated version head on, it looks similar to the mesh version with "more mesh". The angle the picture was taken on this thread made it look worse.

Audible differences have been positive for the updated version and most people seem to agree.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 94
I was going to buy the Arya, but after this thread not anymore. Very strange. Not only that they look awfull with that new cloth or mesh but there seems to be a audible difference...

The revision 2 sounds better than the first edition. It’s more linear and less harsh but with the same large soundstage.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #40 of 94

Honestly, this headphone sounds so good (to my ears) that the idea of not having them is just too painful (at least for me).. My ears are a little dull when it comes to treble so maybe this is why I prefer the 1st revision over the latest rev. I also never found the HD800/S to be too bright or fatiguing (could literally listen to them for hours) unlike many, so again.. maybe this is a sign that I just have "older ears". My personal opinion is that both revisions of the headphone will be excellent.. and I really do recommend you give them a try. I've heard many many headphones.. and this may be one of my favorites regardless of price bracket. I can easily see many people especially with younger ears preferring the latest revision so it may be worth your time to try them out.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #42 of 94
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #43 of 94
This or Sennheiser 800S ?

I owned the HD800S for several years. The Arya replaced my HD800S and I would never go back.
In a nutshell..
I think the HD800S is a lifeless headphone compared to Arya. The Arya is incredible with almost everything you throw at it. Jazz/Blues/Pop/Rap are some of my favorites. The scale, the sound stage (especially veritical stage) and "wall of sound" effect you get are completely intoxicating. The bass is refreshing.. sub bass is so extended and present.. and will blow your mind (something the HD800S completely fails to do). Bass textures come through brilliantly on so many tracks that I never knew had so much magic to them. There is so much texturing that it's just crazy. There are songs which present themselves like several speakers are going off in a room. You can find Arya for 1100-1200$ near-new and I think the audio experience is insane (in a good way) for the money spent. I run my pair balanced of a topping DX7 and utterly love it.

I also have an Ether Flow 1.1 (Open Back) and MDR-Z1R .. I've been swapping between the 3 using one every third day and it's just been too much fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back