HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #2,521 of 11,866
I'm looking at maybe getting the xDuoo TA-20 tube amp. I know that many tube amps won't work with low impedance planars because of their high output impedance but those are transformer less where as the TA-20 isn't and has a low output impedance. It basically works like a hybrid amp and since it's balanced it suits me better than say the Lyr. Still not a 100% sure if that's what I'll get but it's high on my list.
gluck

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #2,522 of 11,866
How I EQ my Arya's for anyone interested:

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,524 of 11,866
Hi everyone, esp. bagwell359
How I EQ my Arya's for anyone interested:

Basshead much? Haha, please don't be offended, I'm just chiming in after a short hiatus. Hope you're enjoying your Arya as much as I'm enjoying mine. I've got Equalizer APO but don't use it much with cans. I'm all about the clarity and definition. Plus the playlist I'm listening to on Tidal now (neo soul and funk) has some added bass from the studio, haha. I'm just finishing the next stage of burning mine in. Several overnights with pretty loud pink noise. Opening up nicely, getting the layering now. Funny how they're changing more with more time. Much wider sounding and a little warmer with the extra extra treble sharpness subsiding. Enjoy.

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #2,525 of 11,866
I think I'm going to wait on getting a new amp because the SMSL SP200 THX works just fine and I really don't know what I could get in the $500 range that would be better. Though I'm not really looking for better just different I guess.

I love how the Arya sound using my Mimby but even on low gain the amp gets loud just past about 9 o'clock and being so low on the dial it can have a little channel imbalance. That's one reason I kind of want a new amp. I have the JDS Labs EL amp which is not bad but next to the SP200 it's not up to par.

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,526 of 11,866
I think I'm going to wait on getting a new amp because the SMSL SP200 THX works just fine and I really don't know what I could get in the $500 range that would be better. Though I'm not really looking for better just different I guess.

I love how the Arya sound using my Mimby but even on low gain the amp gets loud just past about 9 o'clock and being so low on the dial it can have a little channel imbalance. That's one reason I kind of want a new amp. I have the JDS Labs EL amp which is not bad but next to the SP200 it's not up to par.

Have you tried the 500$ Topping A90? I came from a SP200 and still today I am blown away this magical Arya/A90 combination.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #2,527 of 11,866
Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,528 of 11,866
Now the question. I am looking for new Headphones and I need an advice what is worth auditioning. :) I am looking for something as comfy as Arya and with as close sound signature as possible. I am completely fed up with their build quality. My yoke regulation is so loose that they fall to lowest setting just because being touched while resting on the stand. I need to put them on stand and my head super-gently in order to preserve headband setting. It gets worse and worse over time as this free drop to lowest setting happens even when I put something on the desk. And they tend to squeak. Black painting slowly chips off. No matter how good they sound to me, I am going to end my adventure with HFM. At this price tag this is unacceptable. I am looking for something with proper build quality and premium feeling. Max price I can Afford is 3k EUR. Do you know any headphones with similar sound signature that are not HiFiMAN? I can slightly adjust sound with RME ADI2 DAC equalizer.

Try out the Focal Clear I enjoyed those. Plus they're similar price to the Arya.

As for the EQ boys, if you want bass and integrating with what others already posted do the following in PeaceAPO (or your friendly EQ).

-6dB on the gain to protect clipping

You'll use peak filters at the following....

1500Hz +2dB Q 1.41
3000Hz -2dB Q 3.00
5000Hz -3dB Q 3.00 <<if you like the ""Arya air"" do not apply this filter
7500Hz -2dB Q 3.00 <<if you like the ""Arya air"" do not apply this filter

Now comes the bass combination of filters....

Low shelf filter (not peak filter) at 100Hz +5dB
Now to add the extra kick...
13Hz +7dB Q 0.5 as a PEAK filter

Curve will rise to the limit of human hearing rather than plateau. Packs quite the punch. :)

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #2,529 of 11,866
Try out the Focal Clear I enjoyed those. Plus they're similar price to the Arya.

As for the EQ boys, if you want bass and integrating with what others already posted do the following in PeaceAPO (or your friendly EQ).

-6dB on the gain to protect clipping

You'll use peak filters at the following....

1500Hz +2dB Q 1.41
3000Hz -2dB Q 3.00
5000Hz -3dB Q 3.00 <<if you like the ""Arya air"" do not apply this filter
7500Hz -2dB Q 3.00 <<if you like the ""Arya air"" do not apply this filter

Now comes the bass combination of filters....

Low shelf filter (not peak filter) at 100Hz +5dB
Now to add the extra kick...
13Hz +7dB Q 0.5 as a PEAK filter

Curve will rise to the limit of human hearing rather than plateau. Packs quite the punch. :)
Thanks for this! Much better than what I was using. Vocals aren't bright and in my face anymore. Awesome.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #2,530 of 11,866
Have you tried the 500$ Topping A90? I came from a SP200 and still today I am blown away this magical Arya/A90 combination.
Another forum recommends the Monolith Liquid Platinum in the $500 price range. I haven't tried it. I opted for the Auralic Taurus MKII and I'm not sure how I feel. Upgraded from the Asgard 3 and while I can tell the Taurus is the superior class, the sound pairing with the Asgard 3, for me, is tough to beat. Still evaluating. :)

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #2,531 of 11,866

Thank you a lot. I auditioned Clears last year and they offer too much bass for me. They directly lost with my Aryas back then. Last week I managed to audition Audiotechnica ADX-5000, Meze Empyrean, Final Audio D8000 and Focal utopia. And... I am probably staying with HiFiMAN. :D I liked ADX5000 but they are plastic-fantastic. Too cheap feeling at this price tag. I disliked sound of Meze and Final. I had a feeling of listening to bass instead of music. Utopias are outstanding. I managed to negotiate price down from 4500USD (regular price in my country calculated from local currency) to 3800USD. Still it is a lot of money and it would mean resigning from purchasing some other stuff for me. I currently have them borrowed from local audio store and I am comparing like crazy with my Aryas third day. Utopias are definitely superior. Amazing mids and treble. Clear, engaging and not fatiguing for me. But... they lack this spectacular planar bass. I am able to tweak Aryas treble with RME EQ to get something interesting (no as much as out-of-the-box Utopias but still good), while Utopias are just not able to reproduce such powerful yet smooth sub bass. Probably due to much smaller driver. I dislike Utopia stock cable either. Thick tangled rubber. Plus custom plugs to make it harder to replace. These small cons combined with extreme price put me off from buying them. Utopias build quality is very good and both cans are comfy.

All in all, I find Focal Utopia superior to my HFM Arya out the box. But with RME EQ this not so obvious. I have not made my mind yet but I suppose I will send my Aryas together with replacement headband to authorised service. I guess it will do for a year or two more of comfortable usage. Maybe then I will try HFM HEK. This is the same crappy build as my Aryas but sound signature of HFMs is unmatched for me. Or maybe HFM will learn how to properly design headphones in terms of build quality? Will you? :D

I am definitely happy and satisfied with my recent auditioning session. I learned a lot and I must say HFM sound is unique. Perfectly fits my taste. I would really love they finally start paying more attention to premium feeling.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,532 of 11,866
All in all, I find Focal Utopia superior to my HFM Arya out the box. But with RME EQ this not so obvious. I have not made my mind yet but I suppose I will send my Aryas together with replacement headband to authorised service. I guess it will do for a year or two more of comfortable usage. Maybe then I will try HFM HEK. This is the same crappy build as my Aryas but sound signature of HFMs is unmatched for me. Or maybe HFM will learn how to properly design headphones in terms of build quality? Will you? :D

It just goes to show you how everyone's tastes and ears differ. I found the Clear better than the Utopia to my ears. I also heard them on solid equipment. Check out my post from earlier in the year...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flo...dphones-focal-hifiman-audeze-meze-etc.925554/

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,533 of 11,866
Hey everyone! I have a question for you all that’s probably been answered somewhere but I can’t find it. I recently just bought myself a pair of Arya’s. I’m coming from the Sennheiser HD660s. So far I’m not actually that impressed. Yes it sounds better than the 660s but not by all that much to my ears. For reference, I use either the Chord Mojo or the iFi micro idsd black label as my amp/dac.

From doing some other research, I know the Arya’s scale very well with higher end amps/dacs. My question is, with a budget of around £1k - what amp/Dacs can I upgrade to to unlock their full potential? As it stands right now, I am having a hard time justifying keeping £1400 headphones. This is also my first time spending this much on headphones - up until this point, the 660s’ were the most expensive headphones I’ve owned.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #2,534 of 11,866
Hey everyone! I have a question for you all that’s probably been answered somewhere but I can’t find it. I recently just bought myself a pair of Arya’s. I’m coming from the Sennheiser HD660s. So far I’m not actually that impressed. Yes it sounds better than the 660s but not by all that much to my ears. For reference, I use either the Chord Mojo or the iFi micro idsd black label as my amp/dac.

From doing some other research, I know the Arya’s scale very well with higher end amps/dacs. My question is, with a budget of around £1k - what amp/Dacs can I upgrade to to unlock their full potential? As it stands right now, I am having a hard time justifying keeping £1400 headphones. This is also my first time spending this much on headphones - up until this point, the 660s’ were the most expensive headphones I’ve owned.

Thanks in advance!

I've heard them on good and bad equipment regards to pairing so I hear ya.

Won't break the wallet but just get the cheap Schitt (modi/magni). They sound wonderful on that setup. Friend uses that. I use Magni too but paired with Topping D30.

Both setups $200.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #2,535 of 11,866
I've heard them on good and bad equipment regards to pairing so I hear ya.

Won't break the wallet but just get the cheap Schitt (modi/magni). They sound wonderful on that setup. Friend uses that. I use Magni too but paired with Topping D30.

Both setups $200.
I’ve been looking at the Schiit stuff - would you genuinely say they’re better than the iFi Micro BL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back