HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #2,506 of 11,822
Still after 100s hours of listening, I am blown away. When you get an Arya, get the A90, the Arya responds extremely well to quality amplification. The soundstage has so much depth, width and height: instruments fly 3D around and in front of my head. Not many headphones can stage/image like the Arya: and it is genuinely addicting.
Completely agree with this assessment. I'm using the Schitt Asgard 3 to drive them, but other than that, this is my experience as well.

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2,507 of 11,822
I keep it around because it much easier to drive, but honestly I never listen to the my HEX v2, I should sell it. I'm utterly in love and convinced about my Arya's. Without EQ they are fantastic, with EQ they are truly 99,5% perfect to me. The Arya reminds me of my utterly expensive NAIM/Harbeth stereo setup I had, and then some. Still after 100s hours of listening, I am blown away. When you get an Arya, get the A90, the Arya responds extremely well to quality amplification. The soundstage has so much depth, width and height: instruments fly 3D around and in front of my head. Not many headphones can stage/image like the Arya: and it is genuinely addicting.
What EQ'ing did you do?

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #2,508 of 11,822
Hello again after long break. :)

It has been a year since I bought my HFM Arya. Thus I am going to share my thoughts and I have an unusual question. In terms of sound they are awesome. I still enjoy music the same way as it was on the first day. Amazing mids filled with some pleasent warmth, yet clear vocals and nicely separated instruments. This warmth is nicely balanced by present but not harsh treble. Actually at the beginning I found them to bright but over time I appreciated it a lot. Bass is just at sweet spot. Sub bass reproduced with ease gives power and energy to music while it is not boomy as mid bass is not over-exaggerated. Just perfect. Some people say Arya is neutral and slightly oriented towards warm sound and some say neutral slightly on the bright side. I think Arya is both and this is what makes this sound so good. Comfort is very good as well.

Now the question. I am looking for new Headphones and I need an advice what is worth auditioning. :) I am looking for something as comfy as Arya and with as close sound signature as possible. I am completely fed up with their build quality. My yoke regulation is so loose that they fall to lowest setting just because being touched while resting on the stand. I need to put them on stand and my head super-gently in order to preserve headband setting. It gets worse and worse over time as this free drop to lowest setting happens even when I put something on the desk. And they tend to squeak. Black painting slowly chips off. No matter how good they sound to me, I am going to end my adventure with HFM. At this price tag this is unacceptable. I am looking for something with proper build quality and premium feeling. Max price I can Afford is 3k EUR. Do you know any headphones with similar sound signature that are not HiFiMAN? I can slightly adjust sound with RME ADI2 DAC equalizer.

Yeah... I like just about everything I have read about the Arya but your post above and some of my own experience with the brand many years ago is what keeps it off my wish list at the moment. I am tempted though, as the Arya sound signature and performance is definitely calling my name. The only thing I can think of that would be close is the Abyss Diana v2 or a used Diana or Diana Phi... Definitely a different sound signature, but not as different as others in that performance/price tier based on my own analysis of a wide range of user feedback. Have not heard them myself, but after many years in this hobby I trust a wide sample of users and established reviewers just as much as my own hearing and they tend to align. You would get much better build quality, not quite as much comfort but decent comfort, not quite as much bass but decent bass, and everything else would be equal or better.

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #2,509 of 11,822
What EQ'ing did you do?

I use Roon EQ:
-3.8 db headroom correction
Sample rate conversion: Max PCM Rate (power of 2) = 705.6khz for 44.1 music
Sample rate conversion filter: precise, linear phase
Parametric EQ:
a +3b bass shelf at 100hz, Q: 0,71
a +2.5db Peak EQ at 2000hz, Q: 2
a -0.9db dip EQ at 2700, Q: 3.2

TBH, I always thought I did not like EQ. I used to EQ the Arya on the SP200 amp, but the Arya did not need fixing on the A90 as the harshness was gone and the Topping sounded more warm. Also, on the A90 I could clearly hear the soundstage and detail being reduced with EQ. I did not use Sample Rate conversion, as an result the sound was resampled back to 44.1 khz.

Now I do use Sample Rate conversion, which (even without EQ) I prefer over bit perfect on the D90! Never ever thought I would prefer upsampling, but with Roon I clearly do, it is extremely well implemented. This is vital for EQ quality> since the upsample signal is EQ-ed by Roon and does not need to be converted back to lower rates: now the EQ is 100% transparent and has absolutely no/zero audible negative impact on the signal.

Main reason I do like the EQ, it makes the Arya more dynamic, more intimate and improves PraT so rhythmic music clearly has more pace: without EQ the Arya have energy but a just a bit polite/analytical. This EQ gives the Arya balls and pace so to speak.

I can imagine younger ears prefer to add subtle -1 or -2db EQ around 5000 and 8000 hz, because these are well known Arya peaks. But for older ears like mine that extra energy in the treble is appreciated. :)

I simply cannot the fault the Arya with EQ> I do wish for more resolution (once you hear an Susvara you will know why) but other than that: this combination is genuinely spectaculair. I listen to electronic, techno, jazz, pop, modern classical, rap, film scores, r&b, singer/songwriter, etc. Every genre is mesmerizingly beautiful... pffff I need to get of the Arya and A90 is so amazing soap box. :D

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #2,510 of 11,822
I use Roon EQ:
-3.8 db headroom correction
Sample rate conversion: Max PMC Rate (power of 2) = 705.6khz for 44.1 music
Sample rate conversion filter: precise, linear phase
Parametric EQ:
a +3b bass shelf at 100hz, Q: 0,71
a +2.5db Peak EQ at 2000hz, Q: 2
a -0.9db dip EQ at 2700, Q: 3.2

TBH, I always thought I did not like EQ. I used to EQ the Arya on the SP200 amp, but the Arya did not need fixing on the A90 as the harshness was gone and the Topping sounded more warm. Also, on the A90 I could clearly hear the soundstage and detail being reduced with EQ. I did not use Sample Rate conversion, as an result the sound was resampled back to 44.1 khz.

Now I do use Sample Rate conversion, which (even without EQ) I prefer over bit perfect on the D90! Never ever thought I would prefer upsampling, but with Roon I clearly do, it is extremely well implemented. This is vital for EQ quality> since the upsample signal is EQ-ed by Roon and does not need to be converted back to lower rates: now the EQ is 100% transparent and has absolutely no/zero audible negative impact on the signal.

Main reason I do like the EQ, it makes the Arya more dynamic, more intimate and improves PraT so rhythmic music clearly has more pace: without EQ the Arya have energy but a just a bit polite/analytical. This EQ gives the Arya balls and pace so to speak.

I can imagine younger ears prefer to add subtle -1 or -2db EQ around 5000 and 8000 hz, because these are well known Arya peaks. But for older ears like mine that extra energy in the treble is appreciated. :)

I simply cannot the fault the Arya with EQ> I do wish for more resolution (once you hear an Susvara you will know why) but other than that: this combination is genuinely spectaculair. I listen to electronic, techno, jazz, pop, modern classical, rap, film scores, r&b, singer/songwriter, etc. Every genre is mesmerizingly beautiful... pffff I need to get of the Arya and A90 is so amazing soap box. :D

Am currently trying out those settings on Roon - man....that crap sounds good! It does indeed become more dynamic and the soundstage widens a TAD but not too much, but enough to hear more space between the orchestra and the pianist in https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71YZQ8QY3sL._SL1500_.jpg

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #2,511 of 11,822
Am currently trying out those settings on Roon - man....that crap sounds good! It does indeed become more dynamic and the soundstage widens a TAD but not too much, but enough to hear more space between the orchestra and the pianist in https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71YZQ8QY3sL._SL1500_.jpg

So cool it works for you too, the extra sub-bass does increase the stage: with moderate EQ Arya's do not congest, other headphones can more easily. This means you don't loose any of Arya original qualities, especially using Roon's upsampling. I never ever liked upsampling but with Roon it genuinely is an improvement. The bass is super tight, textured, detailed and punchy, never bloated, even with 3db EQ shelf.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #2,512 of 11,822
So cool it works for you too, the extra sub-bass does increase the stage: with moderate EQ Arya's do not congest, other headphones can more easily. This means you don't loose any of Arya original qualities, especially using Roon's upsampling. I never ever liked upsampling but with Roon it genuinely is an improvement. The bass is super tight, textured, detailed and punchy, never bloated, even with 3db EQ shelf.
I've tried the 1990 eq as well - I love that one on classical symphonies with a lot of high trebles and choirs. I'll be using yours for jazz, the bass is more textured indeed. Neutral I still love them as well, I'll probably be switching now and then 😁

Oct 3, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #2,513 of 11,822
I've tried the 1990 eq as well - I love that one on classical symphonies with a lot of high trebles and choirs. I'll be using yours for jazz, the bass is more textured indeed. Neutral I still love them as well, I'll probably be switching now and then 😁

It is key to experiment, I listened to your recording with and without: my EQ suggestion is a little heavy handed for the piano, I would suggest a +2db max bass shelf for that one. The beauty is, when EQ is done well, like in Roon, you can really tune it to your taste without sacrificing any Arya sound qualities. And I agree, Arya are really nice without EQ, especially with the track you suggested.

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #2,514 of 11,822
All I do is go up about 2dB in the bass on my Loki for just that little extra punch and I'm good. I've never been much of an EQ person other than to add bass if need because I've always had plenty of other headphones to give me a different flavor. Now that I'm going to thin out my headphone collection I might get into EQ more in the future.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #2,515 of 11,822
Has anyone here listened to the Arya with the Kann Cube? Can it drive the headphones sufficiently?

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #2,516 of 11,822
Like this one: GUcraftsman balanced Cable on Aliexpress? :) This cable easily outperformed my 260 euro balanced cable from Portento Audio (italy). AE sells a lot of crap, but most surely also has amazing VFM examples, especially for Audiophile cables/adapters etc... GUcraftsman is a true gem imho.

Flextreme - I am interested in getting one of these cables for my Arya. I see the cable is 1.2m long - do you know if they can make a cable with a different length? (eg 2m or 3m)? I assume the seller is based in China and you are in Netherlands. I am in UK. How long did the cable take to arrive? Did you end up having to pay import taxes at your end? I presume you have (or had) the stock Arya black 1.5m cable. Do you think the GUCraftsman cable gives better sound quality?

Thanks,
Nick

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,517 of 11,822
Has anyone here listened to the Arya with the Kann Cube? Can it drive the headphones sufficiently?

Yep, I have the Kann Cube and it drives my Arya better than any other DAP i tried. You need to run balanced obviously. It does not have the same punch as a high powered amp like the A90 or SMSL SP200, but you are not lacking, I found it to enjoyable and it can drive the Arya louder than my ears could handle.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #2,518 of 11,822
Flextreme - I am interested in getting one of these cables for my Arya. I see the cable is 1.2m long - do you know if they can make a cable with a different length? (eg 2m or 3m)? I assume the seller is based in China and you are in Netherlands. I am in UK. How long did the cable take to arrive? Did you end up having to pay import taxes at your end? I presume you have (or had) the stock Arya black 1.5m cable. Do you think the GUCraftsman cable gives better sound quality?

Thanks,
Nick

i was really impressed with the delivery time, 3-4 weeks at the absolute height of the global lockdown in April. No taxes, but about 10% to20% of shipments to NL you (randomly) have to pay VAT through customs. No idea how this works for the UK. Contact him directly, I' m quite sure GUcraftsman caters custom orders.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #2,519 of 11,822
Arya works very well when in high gain mode with a 2.5mm cable. 3.5mm hardly can drive the bottom end but with 2.5mm the bass is punchy. I've also been using an ifi xcan balanced for some extra volume range when listening to classical and also to extend the battery life.

Oct 6, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #2,520 of 11,822
I'm looking at maybe getting the xDuoo TA-20 tube amp. I know that many tube amps won't work with low impedance planars because of their high output impedance but those are transformer less where as the TA-20 isn't and has a low output impedance. It basically works like a hybrid amp and since it's balanced it suits me better than say the Lyr. Still not a 100% sure if that's what I'll get but it's high on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back