HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #1,906 of 11,867
Hi everyone, thanks to a bit too short stand, and a bit too big pair of headphones (the Arya), I ended up breaking the right end of the cable, as you can see in the picture :cry:. I can still hear from the right, however if I turn my head (or anyway slightly move the cable) the sound interrupts on the right, which is pretty annoying

However, apart from a different stand, which cable would you suggest me to buy? Should I buy again the original one (I could have been more careful, however, do you think the original cable is weak)? I don't have a balanced amp. Thanks

PS: this is the stand I used https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07J9T9K48/

Get Beyerdynamic textured cable for T1 (1m40 or 3m), really nice cable and not so expensive.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #1,908 of 11,867
I just loan Arya from friend and WOW how good they are is beyond me (with powerful AMP)!
I owned HE-4, HE-5LE, HE-400i, HE-500 and HE-X v2 but this Arya is something else.
Very good detali, gread soundstage, big amount of air, musical, slighty on bright side but not over bright.
I loved my Focal Clear but i think Arya is better!

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #1,909 of 11,867
I recently got the Arya. I wanted to get LCD-X but because of availability issues, I had to buy the Arya.

I have been using these for like 10 days and I am quite impressed with these. When I switched from my HD 6XX to Arya, I didn't notice huge difference but now when I go back to the HD 6XX, it feels like a huge downgrade. After listening to Arya, 6XX sounds muffled in some sense and it feels like the sound is there just in your head. While the Arya sounds more open.

As much as I was after the Audeze bass, I am satisfied to say that I am quite surprised by the bass performance. It really moves the air. I have tried these with different genres and they seem to justify everything.

I was afraid of the build quality after reading a lot of posts about Arya, I wouldn't say that the build quality is bad but it is the minute details which sometimes make it annoying. Like the squeaking joins etc.

I don't mind the plastic construction as it makes them lighter.

A couple of queries though:
1. I have been using them with SMSL SP200, it seems like the bass is punchier on high gain mode even if you accordingly adjust the volume. I am not really sure if this is something real or I am just assuming. I guess the amp is able to provide more current on high gain mode. But I am kinda afraid to use high gain mode because of one incident when the knob was fairly high on the amp on low gain and I mistakenly switched it to high gain, and the sound suddenly tripped. I thought I destroyed the headphones by being stupid. But it seems like the current protection tripped in on the amp and it became normal when i switched back to low gain mode. I think the SP200 might not be able to provide enough current to make the bass as punchy as it could be.

2. I am thinking about getting some tube/tube-hybrid amp for the Arya. I am not sure if tube amps would work well with these. I am considering the massdrop cavalli tube hybrid. Is it a good idea?

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #1,910 of 11,867
I recently got the Arya. I wanted to get LCD-X but because of availability issues, I had to buy the Arya.

I have been using these for like 10 days and I am quite impressed with these. When I switched from my HD 6XX to Arya, I didn't notice huge difference but now when I go back to the HD 6XX, it feels like a huge downgrade. After listening to Arya, 6XX sounds muffled in some sense and it feels like the sound is there just in your head. While the Arya sounds more open.

As much as I was after the Audeze bass, I am satisfied to say that I am quite surprised by the bass performance. It really moves the air. I have tried these with different genres and they seem to justify everything.

I was afraid of the build quality after reading a lot of posts about Arya, I wouldn't say that the build quality is bad but it is the minute details which sometimes make it annoying. Like the squeaking joins etc.

I don't mind the plastic construction as it makes them lighter.

A couple of queries though:
1. I have been using them with SMSL SP200, it seems like the bass is punchier on high gain mode even if you accordingly adjust the volume. I am not really sure if this is something real or I am just assuming. I guess the amp is able to provide more current on high gain mode. But I am kinda afraid to use high gain mode because of one incident when the knob was fairly high on the amp on low gain and I mistakenly switched it to high gain, and the sound suddenly tripped. I thought I destroyed the headphones by being stupid. But it seems like the current protection tripped in on the amp and it became normal when i switched back to low gain mode. I think the SP200 might not be able to provide enough current to make the bass as punchy as it could be.

2. I am thinking about getting some tube/tube-hybrid amp for the Arya. I am not sure if tube amps would work well with these. I am considering the massdrop cavalli tube hybrid. Is it a good idea?
Does your Arya have squeaking joins?
My Edition X had, my Arya doesn't.

The Arya scale extremely well with more power (or current for that matter)

Jul 7, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #1,911 of 11,867
Does your Arya have squeaking joins?
My Edition X had, my Arya doesn't.

The Arya scale extremely well with more power (or current for that matter)
Yeah, my Arya squeaks like my chair. Although it never when I wearing them. It is mostly when I try to adjust them or removing them.

How much power is usually sufficient? What are some amps which can provide the high current which Arya needs?

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #1,912 of 11,867
I finally got around to reviewing the Arya's :) -

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,914 of 11,867
Great review! Thanks for the suggestion about the sony kimber kable. I have one but never thought to try it with the arya.

Thanks! The screw-on connectors do pose a bit of a problem when using them on the Arya though. Any movement and they jingle around. I suppose it's okay if you just remain still but probably not ideal.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,915 of 11,867
The screw-on connectors do pose a bit of a problem when using them on the Arya though. Any movement and they jingle around. I suppose it's okay if you just remain still but probably not ideal.
Understood, still a fun thing to try out since I already have it.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,917 of 11,867
I finally got around to reviewing the Arya's :) -

Not related to the Arya, but I'm really curious about your take on the M-Scaler. I remember listening to a TT2 paired with an M-Scaler in an audio show. A Dave was standing right next to them so I got to compare the two. In my opinion, the TT2 + M-Scaler sounded way better than the Dave - the difference was very noticeable and strongly in favour of the TT2 + M-sclr.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #1,918 of 11,867
Not related to the Arya, but I'm really curious about your take on the M-Scaler. I remember listening to a TT2 paired with an M-Scaler in an audio show. A Dave was standing right next to them so I got to compare the two. In my opinion, the TT2 + M-Scaler sounded way better than the Dave - the difference was very noticeable and strongly in favour of the TT2 + M-sclr.

I don't want to go too off-topic but will say that the DAVE is a great DAC but doesn't have the output power of the TT2 so for many headphones like the Ayra, the TT2 will indeed drive them more optimally than the DAVE. I also love the M Scaler, which brings new life to all of your CDs/CD files! You can think of it just like an instant conversion of all your 44.1k music to 705k!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #1,919 of 11,867
I've had the Arya for a few weeks now. I feel mixed about these headphones. Clearly they're a good headphone and do many things really well. But the upper midrange and peaks in the top end might be a deal breaker for me. I listen to a lot of electronic music and hip hop and while the low end is really nice, the mids (for the most part) are very good, the overall presentation of the highs I think take away too much for me on a headphone at this price point. High hats especially sound unnatural and are too forward.

I really enjoy the clarity, sound stage, imaging, and sound separation on these. Maybe I'll try an LCD 3 next.

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #1,920 of 11,867
I've had the Arya for a few weeks now. I feel mixed about these headphones. Clearly they're a good headphone and do many things really well. But the upper midrange and peaks in the top end might be a deal breaker for me. I listen to a lot of electronic music and hip hop and while the low end is really nice, the mids (for the most part) are very good, the overall presentation of the highs I think take away too much for me on a headphone at this price point. High hats especially sound unnatural and are too forward.

I really enjoy the clarity, sound stage, imaging, and sound separation on these. Maybe I'll try an LCD 3 next.

Do you know if you have revision 1 or 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back