HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
May 14, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #1,741 of 11,862
For someone who says they miss the bass impact on Arya...LOL.

I own a pair of Fostex TH900 which has impressive levels of bass (they're what they're known for) and to be honest with a little EQ tweaking of the Arya they slam just as hard if not harder than my Fostex with an EQ.

I'll never own a headphone without doing some correction and the Arya I truly found better than anything from a lot more expensive headphones.
Or maybe fashion something to expand and keep the headband at a fixed width to have the earpads kind of float about your ears a la the Abyss AB-1266 to create some kind of Helmholtz resonance effect.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,742 of 11,862
Has anyone compared the Arya to the LSA HP-1?

May 15, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #1,743 of 11,862
Found the Arya response here. https://headphonetestlab.co.uk/

You can compare with other Hifimans I've posted here. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-ananda.879628/page-132#post-15615388

Headphone Test Lab 5-15-2020 2-18-19 PM.png

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,744 of 11,862
May 15, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,745 of 11,862
From the plots, the Arya is almost a dead ringer in frequency response to the HE6se’s. Since they have different driver tech in the headphones, they sound nothing alike though.
To me the HE6SE and the Arya have almost nothing in common. HE6SE is an outdated and overpriced planar that lives from its heritage. Arya is a pleasant and spacious absolutely awesome mid-ranger in 2020. I am ready to receive those stones.

May 15, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,746 of 11,862
What kind of power are you giving the HE-6SEs? I keep seeing deals on them, and might be able to deal with their smaller soundstage (none in recent memory had been larger than the Aryas). Focal's Clear, had nowhere near as large of a soundstage as the Aryas. I could still pick out instruments easily enough, with that product, just out of a smaller physical space.

I would definitely be looking at the Empy at their price point, but at the Auteur first.

Might be getting an LCD-X still, for the heavier material in my collection.

insight than Arya. Empy is clearly a better headphone in every regard. Arya comes close with its spaciousness but that's about it.
I tried the HE6SE and was quite disappointed to be honest (Qutest+Taurus MKII). Great dynamics, but somehow congested. For the asking price the HE6SE on today's market feels like an outdated option. The only thing the Susvara kept from the HE6 heritage is dynamism IMO. To my experience neither the HE-500 nor the HE6SE was able to deliver the bass punch and authority of the LCD2C or LCD-X.

May 15, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,748 of 11,862
To me the HE6SE and the Arya have almost nothing in common. HE6SE is an outdated and overpriced planar that lives from its heritage. Arya is a pleasant and spacious absolutely awesome mid-ranger in 2020. I am ready to receive those stones.
So true, the newer Hifiman models are a total departure from HE5 and HE6 series of headphones. But I still appreciate their sound signature. Especially my HE6se's when I have them hooked up to my power amp. The bass slam on the HE6se's is something Hifiman got away from with the newer model. With that said, they still can't quite match the sonic levels of my HEKse's or my Susvara's.With a little EQ the Susvara's might hit a little harder, with more definition. Heck, even the Arya's give them a run for their money. Once you let your ears adjust.

May 15, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #1,749 of 11,862
Having to use a speaker amp with them, would be a very big deal if I end up leaving the state for work

Will see later if my Monoprice THX 887 will cut it when used in balanced mode (and this is about the only headphone where I would really need the extra power over SE). Luckily my DAC offers XLR.

Would be making my own cables too, ordering the connectors from Digi-Key; I can't believe what people charge for interconnects these days; it's jewelry to me.

I gave 4-6W to the HE6SE. Perhaps not enough.

May 18, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,750 of 11,862
On paper Arya doesn`t look that power hungry... reading this thread seems there is no way for even semi-protable options...Could live with arya attached to an amplifier as a size of a fat book, so I could move around in flat, but ppl mentioning even speaker amps.. that`s too much

May 18, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #1,751 of 11,862
On paper Arya doesn`t look that power hungry... reading this thread seems there is no way for even semi-protable options...Could live with arya attached to an amplifier as a size of a fat book, so I could move around in flat, but ppl mentioning even speaker amps.. that`s too much

They aren't power hungry if you're looking for volume level. They can easily be powered from that standpoint. To have an amp that can control a planar is a different animal. They don't sound good unless you have something that can control them. I use a Schitt Heresey so for $100 you can easily power them and they sound great!

May 18, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,752 of 11,862
They aren't power hungry if you're looking for volume level. They can easily be powered from that standpoint. To have an amp that can control a planar is a different animal. They don't sound good unless you have something that can control them. I use a Schitt Heresey so for $100 you can easily power them and they sound great!

I don`t want them to sound lound and dull for such price. What do you mean by control a planar ? I do have planar pm-3, but these are very easily driven and sounds ok`ish directly from phone, they shine way more connected to my portable ha-2se dac/amp which is 220mW into 32 Ohms, but connecting them to more expensive desktop rig, didn't had much sound improvement anymore.
If I can get arya close to it's potential with such Schitt heresey than that's a steal for me, unfortunately it's unavailable in europe, but I'll need to look at other possible options. You got me feeling lost with that planar control...and ofcourse there is nowhere to audition where I live....

May 18, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,753 of 11,862
Hey there, just received my Aryas, they are incredibly lovely! However, I noticed that there are scraggly lines that run vertically through the diaphragms, and that they are different on each side. I've been told that due to the ultra-thin diaphragms, this is a naturally occurring part of the design. Could anyone here possibly confirm that? They do sound great otherwise, but I would like to know if these are defective (or not, hopefully!).

May 18, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,754 of 11,862
Hey there, just received my Aryas, they are incredibly lovely! However, I noticed that there are scraggly lines that run vertically through the diaphragms, and that they are different on each side. I've been told that due to the ultra-thin diaphragms, this is a naturally occurring part of the design. Could anyone here possibly confirm that? They do sound great otherwise, but I would like to know if these are defective (or not, hopefully!).
Those creases are where the driver bends when playing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back